Heated waistcoat

The essential art of farkling.
Asgard

Heated waistcoat

Post by Asgard »

Plenty of cheap ones on Amazon, but are they worth it?, do they work?, do they catch fire?, do they last a couple of weeks then break?
Any experience?
Its a trick............get an Axe
fatowl

Re: Heated waistcoat

Post by fatowl »

I've had a gerbing heated jacket for a few years. Its absolutely brilliant. Even on lowest setting, 1 out of 5, it keeps me toasty. It runs of the bike's battery. Deffo recommended.
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Hello Asgard i Got a Cheap One from Maplins , It was Woeful i First wore it over a Tshirt under my Bike Jacket on the Highest setting it made little or No Difference, I then tried it under the Tshirt on the Lowest setting and it was Very uncomfortable , Also the Battery Pack was on the Inside of the Vest so you had to open it to get to the Switch to turn on/off/adjust so any heat that had built up was lost . A more expensive Vest from a Quality Company is the Only way to go.Cheers Francis
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

I posted this the other day; it may be of interest.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 25&t=50525
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I have a Keis heated Gillet and its very good, doesn't catch fire!!! and keeps your core warm front and back. As said go for either Gerbring or Keis as they are the leaders for this sort of thing, oh and you can also get heated gloves and socks that can plug into the jacket as well if your that cold lol... and they all run from the bike battery.. I do get cold hands even with heated grips, and i tried their gloves at a show once and they are brilliant as they warm the back of your hand which feels nice, but they're not cheap!! I think if i were a dispatch rider i would push the boat out....
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Personally I’d go with a heated jacket rather than a heated vest/gilet as the extra heat from the arms will help keep the hands at the extremities warmer
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

Bought a cheap battery powered one for my father in law for him to wear in his shed, it was rubbish, barely got warm.

I wear a Gerbing jacket, its really worth the money.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Do you need it working off the bike? Direct to battery there are many excellent options, lithium battery powered not so many decent ones.

Something came up on my facebook feed the other day that looked pretty good, however I've had an Avade heated base layer for (this winter 4 years) its not as warm as a direct feed but has kept me going on some pretty grotty winter commutes. The advantage for me, it still works while you're wandering around, so I can wear less layers for work off the bike & hiking, cycling etc are also covered
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Monster

Post by Monster »

I always considered heated gear cheating

A few years ago I bought a Gerbing jacket ... it is great !! Hallelujahhhhh

I bought the jacket at the NEC show when they first came out with the wireless controller included (£200 all in)
This feature was they key to get me interested - no wires to mess with per se

I plug the jacket into a cable which is attached to the bike's battery. Leave all the other wires inside the jacket. Use the heated jacket as your
bike jacket liner. Use the wireless controller to regulate you comfort. It is a small box and velcro puts it in a handy position where you like

I have a 2 channel controller. Gloves plug into the wrist area of my jacket ... if I wish to add them. They were about £100 more for a pair
A 2 channel controller gives the option to control the heat in the jacket and gloves separately
With heated grips I find that I rarely use the gloves. A warm core (body) makes all the difference to your riding comfort

Also when travelling ...you carry less clothes as you tend to avoid riding with 5 layers on as you might have done previously

What's not to like here
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

My thoughts and findings on the subject:

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 25&t=49530

Gerbing plug-in for the motorbike, and USB type for off.

Note that the cheap ones use quite small heating elements spaced out, so not as good, not surprisingly.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701

Return to “ACCESSORIES”