DIY TomTom mount

The essential art of farkling.
PeteDuke

DIY TomTom mount

Post by PeteDuke »

I have made my own SatNav mount. Basically I had a TomTom One XL sat in drawers at home, not being used and collecting dust. My car has its own SatNav and so does wife's. I was bored during lockdown and Googled 'diy homemade TomTom mount for motorcycle'. Surprisingly I got quite a few ideas, but as I was in lockdown and unable to get out to buy anything I chose one which I had bit kicking around the garage.
Which involved using a Bicycle reflector and mount. - carefully taking the reflector bit off, using the ring at the back off the TomTom and drilling 4 small holes and bolting the ring and reflector back together and then mounting, on the handlebars. Works really well and didn't cost anything.
I know vibration and water will eventually kill it, but for the cost I more than happy.
Attachments
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1414.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg (128 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg (72.52 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
Verve

Re: DIY TomTom mount

Post by Verve »

PeteDuke wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:06 pm I have made my own SatNav mount. Basically I had a TomTom One XL sat in drawers at home, not being used and collecting dust. My car has its own SatNav and so does wife's. I was bored during lockdown and Googled 'diy homemade TomTom mount for motorcycle'. Surprisingly I got quite a few ideas, but as I was in lockdown and unable to get out to buy anything I chose one which I had bit kicking around the garage.
Which involved using a Bicycle reflector and mount. - carefully taking the reflector bit off, using the ring at the back off the TomTom and drilling 4 small holes and bolting the ring and reflector back together and then mounting, on the handlebars. Works really well and didn't cost anything.
I know vibration and water will eventually kill it, but for the cost I more than happy.

You can always seal the gaps and screen edges with a UV resistant clear silicon sealant to waterproof it. That's what I have done with my old Garmin unit sitting in drawer for some years and it has survived a few showers, inc heavy ones, in last 1000 miles.
IMG_20200824_141537.jpg
IMG_20200824_141537.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

Return to “ACCESSORIES”