Camel Tanks and Others...

The essential art of farkling.
OB1

Camel Tanks and Others...

Post by OB1 »

I'm trying to get something straight in my head so that I can make a decision: I bought my CRF250 Rally for long-distance travelling and have kitted it out with a few things to help with a planned trip to Mongolia in 2020. My next big decision is how I should approach the need to carry extra fuel. The CRF is quite frugal as standard, being able to return between 80 and 90 mpg depending on the terrain and the right hand... This will give a tank range of around 160 to 180 miles on a good day, although I have had to fill up in as few as 135 miles during a windy ride across the fens.

I have bought a 5-litre Chinese copy of a Rotopax as I have used one of these on previous trips aboard my (now departed) Tiger. They are great as they are relatively cheap but they are very bulky and are ever present whether they are full or empty. This is a photo of the same tank on my mate's CRF:
option01.png
option01.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 6210 times
Option 2 is a neat little thing called the Ballards Desert Fox Overland Fuel Bladder which can be folded away when not in use but holds 6 litres and can be strapped to the bike with the many loops. I can only find these in Australia which means the shipping is high at £25 giving a total price of around £85.
option02.png
option02.png (600.58 KiB) Viewed 6210 times
Finally, there is the most unobtrusive but expensive option: the Camel tank. Again, this is a 6-litre option but it is permanently fixed to the bike (removing the OE useless tool storage) and means that you don't have to stop to use it as it is plumbed into the existing fuel system. The killer is the price: £400 including postage! I only just realised that the website is in US$ rather than AU$ where it would have been under £300...
option03.png
option03.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 6210 times
Anyway... considering the trip and all that comes with it, I was wondering if the fine chaps of the ABR forum would help with some guidance on which you would choose. The front-runner for me at the moment is one or two of the Desert Fox Bladders as this could double my range without being too bulky but does leave it open to theft, forgetting, falling off and many other mishaps.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Camel Tanks and Others...

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The white objects on the handlebars in the pics here.

http://www.adventureride.co.uk/riding.html

Are reserve fuel tanks.

Might be worth asking the company where they got them, and how much fuel they carry?

Is there no aftermarket 'big tank' available?
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

If you are on FB or Instagram look up Ben King
King on the Road.
He has a Honda CRF and is currently part way into a Round the world trip, last I checked he was back in UK trying to get an extension to his Pakistani visa.

Any way could be worthwhile you have a chat with him see what he did in regards to carrying extra fuel.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:21 pm The white objects on the handlebars in the pics here.

http://www.adventureride.co.uk/riding.html

Are reserve fuel tanks.

Might be worth asking the company where they got them, and how much fuel they carry?

Is there no aftermarket 'big tank' available?

Hi Richard. I saw those bar tanks last night and discounted them. They are made by Acerbis, only carry about 2 litres and work by syphoning fuel through an MX-style breather tube in the OE fuel cap. I discounted them partly due to the small amount of fuel (relatively speaking) and because I believe that they may affect the handling. In their favour, they aren't as expensive as other options!

As for the big tank: yes, there is one by IXS, I think, but it only adds a few litres and costs quite a bit. Acerbis do one too but I'm not sure if it will fit the Rally.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

zimtim wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 pm If you are on FB or Instagram look up Ben King
King on the Road.
He has a Honda CRF and is currently part way into a Round the world trip, last I checked he was back in UK trying to get an extension to his Pakistani visa.

Any way could be worthwhile you have a chat with him see what he did in regards to carrying extra fuel.

Thanks, Tim. I have been following Ben and I will message him to see if he has any ideas.
justrtw.com
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Anything here?

https://www.justgastanks.com/

Cheaper and quicker delivery than from Oz...maybe. ;)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

How often do you anticipate needing additional fuel OB...?

I used to use small 2l containers when we used to trail ride years ago when Wales had no open fuel station on a Sunday. Top up, then chuck the container!

Maybe milk bottles or similiar?
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I’ve not ridden across Russia and Mongolia yet but it’s on the list so I’m watching your ongoing prep with interest.

Have you looked at maps and fuel availability on the routes that you may take?
I would say that assuming that there will be petrol at every gas station you come across may not prove to be the case.
Spending a few hundred pounds now would be my preference rather than needing to get someone to transport your bike/hey you fuel/leave your bike behind to go off and find it....especially on “that” day when you’re tired/fed up/wet etc.
I thought that safari tanks or Acerbis did a 12 litre tank for the CRF? Maybe not.
A proper Rotopax would take up less space for 6.6 litres as they are flat and make a better base for other stuff on top.

Just thoughts and a few opinions.
Last edited by OnHellas on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Me again. So the CRF has a 9 litre tank as standard I think.
The IMS tank holds 14 litres.

This for me is probably the route I would chose for the following reasons.
It’ll fit the bike and won’t fall off.
The weight will be up front rather that having even more at the back with your luggage.
You’ll probably be carrying plenty with your tools, camping?, clothes etc so having one less item to carry and try to strap on will be a bonus.
Much less thieveability (if that’s a word?)
Once you’ve finished with the big the tank will be very sellable therefore recouping some of the original outlay. Just make sure you keep all of the standard stuff of course.

You probably already know the golden rule when in remote places ‘when you see fuel, buy fuel.’
OB1

Post by OB1 »

SteveR wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:46 pm How often do you anticipate needing additional fuel OB...?

I used to use small 2l containers when we used to trail ride years ago when Wales had no open fuel station on a Sunday. Top up, then chuck the container!

Maybe milk bottles or similar?

Hi Steve. When I was in Northern Finland a couple of years ago on the Tiger, I carried a 5-litre reserve and needed it on two occasions as fuel stops were up to 300 miles apart. Where we're going next year, 300 miles may seem like a luxury!
justrtw.com

Return to “ACCESSORIES”