Beware lomo shit panniers...

The essential art of farkling.
Sanqhar

Re: Beware lomo shit panniers...

Post by Sanqhar »

I have seen Stormsure recommended for canvas tent repair, never tried it myself.
I like the idea of sellotape one side, do the repair on the other side then when dry remove sellotape and do that side.
There are some videos on youtube.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
msjesscat

Post by msjesscat »

I don't have first-hand experience of Lomo panniers, but with cheap luggage I have seen huge variations in reviews/feedback with people having little to no issues to others have ridiculously bad experiences.

With higher-end luggage more time is spend on design, and material strength, testing etc. There is a heck of a lot that goes into making decent quality luggage.

Even some of the semi "custom" luggage out there isn't even a perfect fit for its specified make/model, and even with true custom made panniers it can be hard to make anything sit nicely and proportionately with the exhaust on one side. Aesthetics aside.... from my experience selling luggage and bike parts/gear, you usually get what you pay for. I am also aware of people's differing budgets and needs. It's interesting hearing people's views on gear/luggage, usually with enough real reviews you can get a pretty good idea of the quality of a product.

Might go check out some youtube videos of lomo luggage now and see what they say :D
Find what you love and let it kill you - CB
iaint

Post by iaint »

Ive used LOMO panniers and front bags for my European travels. Never had a problem and they were always totally dry. We had some really bad weather on our way down through France. On our return, 2 months later mine we still like new and watertight but covered in muck, my mate's stitching had come undone. The reason for this was he had packed it full and well overloaded the panniers recommended weight. We both agreed this was not a manufacturing fault but just a case of overloading. He just had them repaired will remember not to pack the kitchen sink next time.
Jetlag Jon

Post by Jetlag Jon »

Just seen this thread, and thought I would throw in my two cents worth...
I have recently got back from South America, and used Lomo panniers. 10 200 km, more than 2000 of that on dirt, and I had no problems at all with the panniers. As you can see, they were pretty full too. For me, they are great panniers at a great price. Image

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I’m thinking of buying a pair of the Lomo 6.5ltr engine bar panniers, unless anyone knows better. Always like to carry picnic lunch stuff, including alpine stove, mug, kettle, water etc there, save disturbing the main luggage during the day.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

From my experience with luggage, using it on a basic road trip is a world away from using it on the rigors of a trail trip so its pointless commenting on your own history unless you put it in to context as to what use you put them to. I used basic oxford panniers for years on the road no problem, toke them on the trail probably not what they were intended for and lets say it showed, just an example.
Jetlag Jon

Post by Jetlag Jon »

bikenav wrote:From my experience with luggage, using it on a basic road trip is a world away from using it on the rigors of a trail trip so its pointless commenting on your own history unless you put it in to context as to what use you put them to. I used basic oxford panniers for years on the road no problem, toke them on the trail probably not what they were intended for and lets say it showed, just an example.
If this is aimed at my post, I did say how many km on tarmac and how many on dirt. The dirt was the northern part of Ruta 40 (La Quica to Cafayate), other stretches of dirt on Ruta 40, Ruta 23 also in Argentina, all of the Carreterra Austral, and some appallingly bad stretches, most notably from Cochrane in Chile to Baja Caracoles in Argentina- the road from the border to Baja Caracoles was in dreadful condition. I am still posting my trip report on my website, it can be seen at https://www.jetlagjon.com , the whole trip, minus a few details I have since added,, is on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Jetlag-Jon-102743117807083/
I think I gave the panniers a pretty good test.
Out of interest, have you used these panniers?

OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I don’t think that bikenav was suggesting that you qualify how and where yours were used.
As reported back in time on here I used a Lomo bag during my Americas trip.....and it was superb come rain, hail, wind, heat, tarmac and dirt.

He makes a good point though as to what ‘test’ some gear gets to judge whether it’s any good or not....for what you want it for.
Jetlag Jon

Post by Jetlag Jon »

OnHellas wrote:I don’t think that bikenav was suggesting that you qualify how and where yours were used.
As reported back in time on here I used a Lomo bag during my Americas trip.....and it was superb come rain, hail, wind, heat, tarmac and dirt.

He makes a good point though as to what ‘test’ some gear gets to judge whether it’s any good or not....for what you want it for.
No worries. Of course, when buying gear, it's useful to know how it's been used by other people.

I originally replied to this thread because I didn't like the title. Writing off a companies products, and calling it shit, because you had an issue with some stitching is a bit of an overreaction imo. And they definitely are not shit. They are actually a very good product, especially when you consider the price.

I knew nothing about Lomo panniers until I bought them. I think it's great to see a British company producing a product that is, imo, great value for the money. Lomo panniers and bags (I had a tankbag and 40 litre drybag from them too) do what they say on the tin. They aren't fancy. They keep stuff dry, and keep it on your bike. Mine survived falls, lots of bad roads, extreme heat, lots of rain, and probably being overloaded. And I will happily use the same bags for another trip.

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

They are large with a good and long velcro strap system over the seat. I used mine on the Dragon this year--and we know how wet that was!--You simply (as I've said before)--have to mount them so that the straps are not too far off the vertical--and because they are large exhaust outlet needs to be considered if its low. I use them with Givi pannier frames and pass a long strap underneath and then over the seat for "support". I used them again for camping near Thetford just as this virus thing was breaking--no problems so far!! They are a Brit design but made in China--as are all things these days--and thats not a negative as we all know.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”