Recommend me a chain oiler

The essential art of farkling.
Mac 60

Recommend me a chain oiler

Post by Mac 60 »

Few years with shaft drive and iam now back to a chain. So which chain oiler or do i really need one as ive always been pretty particular about cleaning, lubbing and adjusting chains.
Steve T

Re: Recommend me a chain oiler

Post by Steve T »

I've used Scotoilers on mine for years and would not run a bike without one now . . . . . . but if your good at basic maint, and it sounds like you are, then a good lube after every ride should keep it in good fettle.

Small note - the BMW fitted chain was, when the F8GS was first launched, made of soft French cheese. They may have improved, but I just thought I'd mention it :whistle:

Enjoy yer ride

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

TUTORO...is all you will ever need.

Fill up and leave...works so well and no mess like a Scott oiler can make.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

After using the Scottoiler, PD oiler and automatic TUTORO oiler, then all I'll buy from now is the automatic TUTORO one.

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/collections/frontpage

They all have their limitations, for me the TUTORO has ones I can more easily live with. As with them all, correct set-up is vital.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

I have a scott oiler on mine paul,bmw do a specific one for the f800gs with all the neat brackets,they cost about £100.but in my opinion they work really well.as steve t mentioned some of the early bikes had shit chains.i have a did x seal chain on mine and seems fine.see you next week. (thumbs) oh I would go a tiny bit slack on chain adjustment,get someone to sit on the bike about same weight as you and check tension then.but you probably know that.
john-g

Post by john-g »

I'm using a Cobrra Nemo-2 oiler on both of my bikes, very pleased with quality and ease of use. Manually turning the cap of reservoir a quarter turn per per fuel tank fill is sufficient for road use and no spray onto rear wheel. If it's raining or muddy just give it a shot more often. And only needs straight gear oil.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I've had a Scotoiler before and Loobman's on a couple of bikes but I don't bother with them now.So long as a bike has a centre stand I don't find lubing it every 400 miles or so much of a hardship.I've put 23k miles on my current bike on the same chain.The bike has 30k miles on it so probably the original chain.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Centre stand, spray can of lube.
Quick squirt after every ride...
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Using the Tutoro at the moment a simple to use item, but can be a bit of pain to get the flow just right.

It was already on the bike when I got it.
Would I buy a chain oiler probably not, I had always got in to the habit of when finishing ride put bike on centre stand and using a paint brush spin wheel and apply a good coat of chain oil/lube.
Don't like some of the lubes found them very sticky and with the amount of off road I do found they actually caused a problem.

If doing lots of long trips would probably consider an oiler an essential bit of kit, otherwise good maintenance and habits should suffice.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I've used a variety from diy to Scott and my only comment would be to get an automatic one.

Steve

Return to “ACCESSORIES”