Toolkit thread

The essential art of farkling.
GB

Toolkit thread

Post by GB »

I thought I would start a toolkit thread which hopefully contain tips, tricks and ideas that everyone can contribute and use.

I am putting a kit together for a trip Im planning across the pyrenees. I took the 701 off road last week and hit a brick or a flint and got a puncture in my front tyre, It holed the front/side of my K60 and put two slits in my tube. I had my motion pro combination levers with me and some glue and patches, plus a tube but unfortunately a 18inch rear not a 21inch front. I took the wheel out and removed the tyre and repaired the tube. I didnt have talc or lube (I do now!) I managed to limp it home with a big bulge in the tyre, I had no phone signal but was with some other guys so if the worst came to the worst they could have gone for help but I insisted I repaired it on my own in preperation for next year.

My toolkit consists of three sections

1, The factory kit, which is pretty good consists of combination pliers, torx sockets, bit driver and bits, 10mm-13mm open ended spanner and a wheel spanner. This is hidden on the bike permanently.

2, My tyre kit, two tubes, motion pro 27mm and 32mm lever spanners, motion pro bead breaker, motion pro bead buddy, glue, patches, valve tool, valve cores, lube and talc. A home made prop to lift either the front or back wheel up off the ground and I use the file on my leatherman to roughen tubes.
I only carry this if i'm venturing off road, the rest of the time its the AA card.

3, My off road tool kit, Spanners from 8mm-17mm plus a few extra torx bits and a small angled driver for them. JB weld, spare split link and Apico folding chain breaker, small gas soldering iron and solder, spare nuts and bolts, Motion pro 3/8 drive adaptor for combi lever, reversible screwdriver (a leatherman screwdriver is great but some times you need the extra reach) Sparkplug spanner,cable ties, small side cutters, insulation tape and my two leathermans, a crunch and a charge with extra bits and driver.
I only carry this if i'm venturing off road, like the tyre kit the rest of the time its the AA card.
Finally back on a GS :D
GB

Re: Toolkit thread

Post by GB »

I'm going to add some kind of lightweight tarp to put on the ground, I spent longer looking for scattered tools than I did repairing the tyre!
Finally back on a GS :D
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Very extensive kit which could be reduced for day trips (or even 2 day trips). I wouldn't bother with the patches and glue. What do use to inflate the tyre?

I'd only take the spanners that I know I need (8,10,12 and 13 on the 690)and I junked the pliers in the KTM toolkit along with some other tools anf rely on the leatherman. 2 split links and a short length of chain is often handy.

I thought this looked like a good bit of kit which would also mean I could junk the rest of the KTM tools. Hell of a price though.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

when iam at home an a bit bored, i strip things down and see what i can multi task with certain tools rather than try and carry everything.
taking both wheels off,basic electrics, rad repairs levers and cables etc and summit to kneel on a must and a mini tarp n head torch if its dark or pissin down

steve
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

FWIW instead of solder etc I carry a short length of insulated cable and some terminal blocks . Plus an emergency cable repair kit , solderless nipples , bowden cable etc . Worth having a couple of pairs of latex rubber gloves too(!) so you keep your hands and the inside of your gloves clean .
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Trails Tool Kit
Rocky creek Compressor
Rachet and straps. (will probably get small block and tackle)
Valve Puller
Puncture repair kit
WD40 (lubricant)
Insulation tape
Pressure gauge
First aid kit
spare tools (not included in KTM toolbag)
Tub of tyre soap
Rim protector
various zip ties
gloves
spare 21" tube
Tyre irons ( 2* buzetti)
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_14047173_1262378810441167_3411584115115813392_o.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_14047173_1262378810441167_3411584115115813392_o.jpg (55.5 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
Maljones

Post by Maljones »

Bahco SL25 1/4 inch socket set, the best addition I've ever made to my tool kit £20 Amazon.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Maljones wrote:Bahco SL25 1/4 inch socket set, the best addition I've ever made to my tool kit £20 Amazon.
+1.I bought one of these from my local ironmonger about 8 years ago in a sale for £10.Hardly a job gets done on my bike where this doesn't get used. (thumbs)
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Ive seen metion before of carrying a 19" inner tube as it will fit both front and rear at a pinch.
+2 on the Bahco SL25 socket set I find it useful on all my bikes though I have suplimented the allen heads with with the secondry set as it has limited sizes.You might also add a couple of steel zip ties or some steel wire for binding stuff together as a temporary repair plus a few nuts and bolts of various sizes.
herman

Post by herman »

We only carry a front tube as it will do for the rear. I now carry, unless on the smoker, a jump start pack to start non kick start bikes and charge a smart phone/sat nav. Petrol pipe too for syphoning. I use waco? elec connectors for temp repairs as you can take them apart and re-use/re-try.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”