Wavy disc's, worth it ?

The essential art of farkling.
macvisual

Wavy disc's, worth it ?

Post by macvisual »

Been thinking about fitting wavy disc's to my V-Strom DL1000. I've already braided lines and EBC HH pads fitted front + rear, would there be benefits fitting wavey disc's does anybody know ?

Advice/experience/knowledge most welcome.

Thanks;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Teflon Jnr

Re: Wavy disc's, worth it ?

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I had Armstrong wavy discs on my mk1 1200 bandit with sintered pads wow what a difference over stock once bedded in i nearly went over the bars
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

What's the problem with the standard discs? If it's simply that they feel a bit weak then wavy discs will probably help but if it's brake fade then you need to look at changing the master cylinder. Putting a Brembo radial master cylinder on will almost certainly be cheaper than a pair of discs and if you get one with a bigger piston plus lower ratio it'll send you over the bars :pinch:

An added bonus is that they have a bleed nipple up by the cylinder that makes bleeding the system much easier but you'll also need a remote reservoir if you current one is integral and a banjo bolt brake light switch. Loads of suppliers of all parts If you just do a basic search but I've always used Harris Performance.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

as a track day addict, really carnt see the point of the wavy disc on the road, good fluid, no air and top master cylinder work just fine along with maintained callipers

steve
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Wavy discs are an aesthetic. If you are simply road riding then the standard discs on most bikes from mainstream manufacturers are well up to the job. Your cash it better spent on decent pads, refreshing the brake fluid and, if you are the last of the late brakers on your sunday ride then fit an aftermarket master cylinder which will increase the pressure on the brake piston.

If wavy discs are 'the business'....then why do Vale, Marquez and Jorge et al not use them on a weekend?

There is a school of thought that says the gap between the apex of the waves serves to clear any dust debris from the pads.......I say, find a quiet stretch of road and practice braking, very hard!

Its all about contact. Good pads and good tyres mean you won't waste money of wavy discs.

My opinion!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

MotoGP riders have carbon fibre discs but they need heat to work properly.

Not carbon fibre, carbon!
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

And when the MotoGP riders find its raining they use steel symmetrical discs. None of that wavy shit!!!

Return to “ACCESSORIES”