Best new sat nav

The essential art of farkling.
-Ralph-

Best new sat nav

Post by -Ralph- »

Hmm, after AndyB's post about his Garmin 390 winding roads feature, I'm leaning towards TomTom, that's a feature on my V3 I really like.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
frenchy3

Re: Best new sat nav

Post by frenchy3 »

I agree,once you master Basecamp and install Google earth you can even overlay your routes on Google earth and see the real terrain and landmarks. I also use bikehike for plotting my routes on ordnance survey UK maps and then save the GPX track to Basecamp and then upload to the unit. I am still using old school Garmin Map60csx but it is bulletproof,light and pocket sized,transfers to my mountain bike and for walking. I would like a large screen modern satnav but whilst the map 60 is plodding on :laugh:
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Most of my riding used to be off roading so the Garmin always worked for me.Now i have a BMW F800GS i think the riding will be more 80/20 road biased.
ZX Raziel wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:Thanks chaps.

Anyone have a new TomTom Rider 400? Looks like it is a new design of mount.
I have it , its fine for me but i believe that Garmins are better if you are doing more offroad type of riding .
GB

Post by GB »

The 340/390 has been superseded by the 345/395 I use a Montana but after riding with a mate with a 345 I was impressed with its winding roads/adventure settings, took us on great roads. Another mate of mine (yes I have more than one) used the tom tom app on his Iphone and the winding roads worked well on that as well. I would be sorely tempted for the 395 if my Montana went south.
Finally back on a GS :D
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I bitched about the curvy roads setting on the 390 being crap but today it took me up roads where I was standing on the footrests and sliding on hairpins because of the surface. Those roads would have a temporary TRO on them at home :pinch:

I was honestly worried that I'd end up on the floor and unable to pick the bike up with no chance of anyone passing who might help.
viince

Post by viince »

AndyB wrote:I bitched about the curvy roads setting on the 390 being crap but today it took me up roads where I was standing on the footrests and sliding on hairpins because of the surface. Those roads would have a temporary TRO on them at home :pinch:

I was honestly worried that I'd end up on the floor and unable to pick the bike up with no chance of anyone passing who might help.
don't know if the 390 is the same as the 590
I can turn off unpaved roads to avoid when I want to

cheers vince
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
sven

Post by sven »

My old TT Rider v5 had the "Winding Roads" feature, but the Rider 400 has an improved version called "Plan a Thrill" which allows you to select three different levels of windiness and three different levels of hilliness, so the routes are slightly different everytime. It's already been taking me down some backroads in the Dales I didn't know existed, despite exploring them for years (thumbs)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AndyB wrote:I bitched about the curvy roads setting on the 390 being crap but today it took me up roads where I was standing on the footrests and sliding on hairpins because of the surface. Those roads would have a temporary TRO on them at home :pinch:

That'd be a Garmin FAIL for me, I'd be on a road bike with 17 inch Michelin PR4 tyres.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
WillS

Post by WillS »

I use the Garmin Montana 650t. Just done over 900km on the Aragón HISS, trails and road, always put us on the correct trail, for me it's a great Sat-Nav. I use it on all the bikes, car and walking in the mountains, does the lot.
You just have to get used to BaseCamp to get the best out of it.
WillS

Post by WillS »

GB wrote:
WillS wrote:I use the Garmin Montana 650t. Just done over 900km on the Aragón HISS, trails and road, always put us on the correct trail, for me it's a great Sat-Nav. I use it on all the bikes, car and walking in the mountains, does the lot.
You just have to get used to BaseCamp to get the best out of it.
Can't agree more, but people are put off by not being told where to go by the voice in the helmet by the lack of Bluetooth.
Prefere just to look / glance at the screen, rather than some electronic voice going on and on about the next junction!!!
As for twisty roads, look at a map before, then plan your route accordingly.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”