Big fat Git 4 season sleeping bag/

The essential art of farkling.
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

I bought a 3 season Sleep Pod sleeping bag for the simple reason it was almost big enough to reach from my feet to my head and have a bit to snuggle over my head. AND it is wide too. Actually I can get in it with room to spare.

The recent Ecky Thump Rally proved that the 3 seasons didn't stretch to October in't Yorkshire. It was bloody freezin'

That all emcompassing mummy feeling is good to a degree, but my 20 year old HiTec bag that I 'grew' out of did well at -13 in the Cainegorms in just me pants and a bobble hat.

Size when packed is always an issue, but nowadays its the width and length thats the issue.

ANSWER TO THIS DILEMA FROM YOU FAT GITS PLEASE.....
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
Stevied

Re: Big fat Git 4 season sleeping bag/

Post by Stevied »

Snugpak softie elite. Pick your model. Cracking bit of kit.
RavenstoneGSA

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

I've got a Thermarest Ventra 'sleeping bag.' Its more of a wrap around duvet and is made to snap on to a Thermarest fitted sheet. There is a lot of room, more like a bed than a sleeping bag, but it packs pretty small. worth the price for a great nights sleep.
0_05701700_1264688932_2015-10-25.jpg
0_05701700_1264688932_2015-10-25.jpg (165.12 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
tefflon

Post by tefflon »

Hi Pete

I have the snugpak softy 6 and it's the ecky thump rally just was a breez nice and snug only thing stoped me from sleeping was the crowed drinking till 2.30 am there is a chap n/r me that stocks the snugpak

Ta steve
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Yeah Snupak, I'm always toastie in mine.
one-legged adventurer
Elle

Post by Elle »

what type of mattress do you use Pete?
I never believed the hype about the Exped - until I bought one. Keeps the cold ground well away.
Also, when icy temps, I use a liner - personally like the synthetic type but silk is meant to be warmer
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
SteveR

Re: Re: Big fat Git 4 season sleeping bag/

Post by SteveR »

Elle wrote:what type of mattress do you use Pete?
I never believed the hype about the Exped - until I bought one. Keeps the cold ground well away.
Also, when icy temps, I use a liner - personally like the synthetic type but silk is meant to be warmer
Totally agree with Elle here. The Thermarest xxxl I use is wonderful compared to an air bed, but bulky. I hate mummy bags so have a 3 season 40 quid cheapie and use a liner for mega cold weather. Ie below 5C ;)

If you can find one of the cheap fleece sleeping bags, they make a brilliant liner/blanket and are a good bag for Med camping
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Same as Elle and SteveR here. Camping was transformed when we got Exped Downmats (and down bags). A couple of other things......
Personally I much prefer down, it's more comfortable, more packable, more durable and just all round nicer but can be a bit more expensive but worth it IMHO. Ignore people who say it doesn't work if it gets wet, it's true but a wet synthetic bag is not going to be a nice place to be in either. It's B&B and a laundrette time if yr bag gets wet.

A big bag is cooler than a close fitting bag. That's why they make mummy shaped bags. Personally I hate them and they bring on claustrophobia in me. A square(ish) bag with a shoulder width of 90cm or more is what I go for and rated for comfort at around 0 to +5c. Such a sleeping bag packs into a 10 litre dry bag. When it's really cold I wear my light down jacket and a hat and when it's really really cold I wear socks, thermal underwear and the down jacket.

Finally you can get "expansion panels" that zip into a bag to make it much wider. I have tried two: one from Snugpack and one from Cirrus. In use the bags are nice and wide but drop several degrees off their rating.

Fwiw I have a Helsport (+5c rated) bag and a Nanok (0c rated) bag. The helsport is my fave as it's the widest and doesn't need the Currus expansion panel I need to put in the Nanok bag. (I don't need them both and ought to sell one but I ain't as I like them too much).

Edit, when camping with the wife we have an Exped down duvet thing that is ACE. It is a bottom sheet that attaches to and keeps together the Exped Downmats and a super light super warm duvet that clips to the sheet to keep it in place. It's as comfortable and as nice as being in a king size bed. It's not available in the UK, I got mine from Germany and is another expensive item, but it was sooooo worth it. 3months travelling was transformed using this.
markoh

Post by markoh »

Emailed Alpkit recently asking if they are going to do large versions of their SkyeHigh range of sleeping bags. The answer was yes, but no date yet. I have had a large size earlier version SkyeHigh bag for some years now. Absolutely brilliant. I'm a XXXL UK size XXL US size.
SteveR

Re: Re: Big fat Git 4 season sleeping bag/

Post by SteveR »

Oh yes, Plan B is so cheap and cheerful I am amazed I didn't mention it earlier....

Thermal underwear, socks and a fleece hat. This combo improves my comfort levels by about 5C (thumbs)

And I see Austin mentioned it too! Whoops... :silly:

Return to “ACCESSORIES”