Throttle Mate

The essential art of farkling.
Paul

Re: Throttle Mate

Post by Paul »

Road2Manchester wrote:THEY ARE A LITTLE WEIRD AT FIRST, unlike a cruise control, that adjusts as the road undulates, the 'mate just keeps the throttle where it is and therefore the revs. The road goes up hill you slow down, down hill you go faster.

Easy to fit and use, and as one gets a little ache in the right hand after years of excessive use.... it helps on occasion. 80)
Sent you a message R2M
special one

Post by special one »

Or you could buy an explorer with cruise control :)
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

special one wrote:Or you could buy an explorer with cruise control :)
That's one f**king expensive throttle control.... ;)
special one

Post by special one »

Old Git Ray wrote:
special one wrote:Or you could buy an explorer with cruise control :)
That's one f**king expensive throttle control.... ;)
Nope it's cruise control not a crude throttle clamp (thumbs)

On a serious note, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using the throttle mate or similar.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Oddly enough, I've used both recently. I am however driving long distances in the Americas. In the UK both of them are of less use, unless you are travelling from London to Glasgow on the M6 or similar.

The Throttle Mate was OK but a bit disconcerting when you entered town. And as has been said, it is a bit of a pain going down hill as the speed creeps up too much and you end up shutting it down and having to re-set it on the flat. Going up hill was not a problem as you simply open the throttle more. The big problem is that letting go of the throttle just keeps it on the same setting.

The Cramp Buster (which I currently use) is a lot better as you just rest your wrist on it and you lift or lower your arm/wrist slightly to compensate for up/down hill. The good thing is that, as it is only set to be in the neutral position (crusing speed) at about 1/4 throttle, when you enter a town, there is no need to re-adjust it. On top of that, on letting go of the throttle, it just shuts it down as per normal.
It does take an hour or two to get used to it but after that it is OK. And if not required, it can be pushed forward and out of the way. On top of that, as the name suggests, it does reduce cramp to allow all day riding.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”