The essential art of farkling.
Mike101

Is this normal?

Post by Mike101 »

Reartyre5k.JPG
Reartyre5k.JPG (28.59 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Fronttyre5k.JPG
Fronttyre5k.JPG (28.94 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
At last i've figured out how to get pics onto here.

So here are two pics of my tyres. They are the OEM Metzler Tourance that bike came with from new.

They have exactly 5k on each.

So is this normal wear. I am not worried as i have a nice new set on the way thanks to ABR.

90% of the riding the bike has done is road.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Tramp

Re: Is this normal?

Post by Tramp »

Yep.....all tyres do that ;) ..solution ride the twisty bits more :P

they drop into bends in a wiered sort of way..
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

You could maybe spread the load & wear pattern a bit more across the width of the tyre by lowering the pressure a bit.
If you're light & don't carry a passenger or kit for most of your riding you could easily drop a few pounds below the recomended to compensate.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

I have Tourance EXP's fitted on my 2012 F650GS, I have done 7500 miles on them now, the rear only started to square off about 600 miles ago and the tread is now getting low, but I should get another 800 miles or so out of it.
My riding has been varied and I do chuck it into corners, I never ride to conserve tyre wear or fuel B)
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

I'd be looking to get nearly twice that mileage from Tourance rear on my Vara. Bit more on the front
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

Cancel the order and get the dunlops tr91s. have got about half way through with 5k on them. grip amazing and can scrape centre stand one side and peg on other side.ok on light offroad will foto them and sling on in a bit
Cheers j :whistle:
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Well i can't cancel the order as i won them in this months comp.

I'm not going for the Tourance this time as i want amore road biased tyre for the autumn.

The nice people at Metzler are giving me a free set of Scorpian trails. I'll see how i get on with them.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

I think you need to go around a few more corners, you've still got the danglies on the edges! Otherwise, it looks normal wear for straight line riding.
Mr Free Market

Post by Mr Free Market »

Mike - there are many forum members that are far better qualified to comment on the tyre wear conundrum then me, but IMHO thats looking pretty sh*gged !

How about fitting some Mefo Sport Explorers. This is what Gabe at Zen Overland has to say about them

The Mefo Sport Explorer tyre is one of the best long distance dual-sport tyre. They somehow combine a fantastic wear rate, with very good grip

We at Zen Overland have done tens of thousands of miles on these tyres, and have been astonished at how well they perform. Both in terms of grip (on and off road, dry and wet), and longevity. On a 650cc bike we can easily get over 10,000 miles on a rear

We currently have customers on various continents around the world using these tyres as part of big overland adventures. We have no hesitation recommending them to anyone needing a quality dual sport tyre. Plus, compare the prices of these to equivalent rubber!

But don't just take it from us, click on the review tap to the right to see what other customers have to say about them.

The Explorer tyre is a true dual sport capable option, weighted slightly more towards more road riding than off road, but will still get decent grip on most unpaved surfaces. They maintain great grip in the wet, which many of the longest wearing equivalent tyres do not.

They are E marked and DOT approved, so they're good for MOT's.

http://www.zenoverland.com/tyres_tubes/ ... lorer.html

I've just put a rear on my Tenere & after 400 (road) miles am pretty impressed
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

Front tyre
20130822_103654.jpg
20130822_103654.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Rear tyre
20130822_103640.jpg
20130822_103640.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
As you can see how they are on the edges great tyres with 5000mls 4.76mm left on the rear and 3.29mm left on the front very good feedback from them
Hope this helps j :woohoo:

Return to “ACCESSORIES”