So, what do you take on a long weekend away?

The essential art of farkling.
lmg

So, what do you take on a long weekend away?

Post by lmg »

Okay, so your going to have a long weekend away on the bike - more than likely camping - lets say Wales or Scotland.

What do you take with you on the bike? (and I dont mean your mrs)
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

doctorzippy

Re: So, what do you take on a long weekend away?

Post by doctorzippy »

lmg wrote:Okay, so your going to have a long weekend away on the bike - more than likely camping - lets say Wales or Scotland.

Just as well, 'cos you can't take her :laugh:
Life is a journey, not a destination
James691

Post by James691 »

I don't have a Mrs - hence I get to play out on my bike a lot :)

45ltr Top Box

12v Air Pump
Sunglasses
Camera - will be updated after the Ace meeting
Duracell AA batts
Copy of ABR
40 Lambert and Butler
2 Lighters
Tinted Visor
Sun Screen
Chap Stick
Air Bed
Pair of socks (If for more than a week add 1 extra pair)
Pair of pants (If more than a week add 1 extra pair)
Spare Gloves

On the Seat -

Two man tent
Sleeping bag

If I am going across to Europe then add to top box -

Set of bulbs
First Aid kit
Leatherman
high vis waist coat
Small emergency triangle

Tank Bag -

(If going via Amsterdam add Rizla and condoms)
Smokes + Lighter
V5
Passport
Insurance green card
Dancing in the moonlight
africajim

Post by africajim »

Depends whether Fiona takes her Ickle GS!

If it's the mighty Varadero and just us, Topbox contains the airbed, 12v pump, sleeping bag (double) and a blanket. On top of the box on the Givi rack the 3 person tent.

Sidebox each for clothes and personal effects.

Tankbag for cooking gear (cups, kettle, mess tins and gas stove and cutlery), puncture repair, spare bulbs, insect repellent, multi tool, hi vis vest, a couple of cup a soups as back up and coffee and sweeteners.

Maps in the top of tankbag backed up with Tomtom satnav.

The idea is to use the map to plot your route, the satnav merely confirms where you are. When you arrive at a campsite, tent up, then into town for provisions (empty topbox for these), milk for the coffee, something for breakfast and something to go with your coffee later in the evening when you return from your meal at the nearest pub!

If we take two bikes we carry fold up seats, the Trangia stove for hot water and a tarp for shelter to sit in. I get to carry slightly less, Fiona carries some of hers!

Hope this helps?
Honda, the power of dreams.
Jon Caveman

Post by Jon Caveman »

Among other things I always pack my candle lantern.

Only cos I'm scared of the dark ;-)

lmg

Post by lmg »

"40 Lambert and Butler
Pair of socks (If for more than a week add 1 extra pair)
Pair of pants (If more than a week add 1 extra pair)"

Always thought you was a bit of a lightweight. Wearing the same pair of pants for only a week. I would only change mine if they no longer flexed in the middle :) And only 40 tabs? I thought I said a long weekend, not a trip out in the morning - ps you were supposed to be quitting????

Well, if I am on the Vara then I would take the following

On pillion seat in a ortleib waterproof tube sack:

- 2-3man tent
- Sleeping bag
- Foam rollmat
- Inflatable pillow

Panniers:

- Coleman dual fuel cooker
- Mess tins packed with cutlery, can opener, lighters, matches, coffee sachetes, powdered milk, tea bags, hot chocolate sachetes)
- Old military waterbottle and mug
- Rations (soup and chilli, biscuits, crisps, etc)
- Reading material
- Bog roll (for the chilli)
- Washkit
- Spare clothes in case the chilli is really bad

Topbox:

- Camera
- Kit bag (leatherman, lock knife, tyre repair kits, 12v pump, LED head torch and hand torch, fags/cigars)
- Map/paperwork
- Woolie hat and gloves
- Waterproofs
- AK47
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

ty8ight

Post by ty8ight »

doctorzippy wrote:
lmg wrote:Okay, so your going to have a long weekend away on the bike - more than likely camping - lets say Wales or Scotland.

Just as well, 'cos you can't take her :laugh:
You can take mine if you want........Please!! :woohoo:
BMW 1200GSA

Yamaha Tenere 1VJ
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Perfectly timed thread. Just what i was looking for.
Keep the suggestions coming :cheer:

Ade
garyr

Post by garyr »

On ventura rack
2 man tent
Waterproof sack with
Sleeping bag
Mat
Inflatable pillow

Torch, tools, puncture outfit
In tankbag
Camera
Mug (to blag a cup of coffee)
Hip flask ( single malt, nightcap)
Trousers, t shirt, tammie, thong and socks.
Visor cleaner
who dares, bins
scouse

Post by scouse »

Does depend on whether it is solo or me and Jules.

As we are on the road to a biker rally or club party at least one weekend a month, a lot depends on weather and season' our usual rally kit will be;

Tent - for long weekends in one place the Vango 350 - on the move or in winter the Vaude - just me the Banshee 200

Thermarests
Picnic Rug (inner tent comfort!)
Stools
Trangia 25
Cook Kit( MSR fold down utensils, some seasoning and spices, dried milk, and two emergency dehydrated meals in case we arrive late )
Collapsible fold up 2l water bottle
Sleeping bags (size depends on time of year)
Silk Liners (add warmth of it it gets too hot can be used instead of a bag, also cuts down on perspiration getting into insulation of the bag )
Fuel (which we take depends on duration and time of year, butane, meths or green heat)
Candle Lamp and citronella candles
head torches
multi-tools
Swiss army knifes
mess kit(eating irons and plates deep enough to be bowls)
mugs
Tea bags ( always have decent tea bags with us... makes us very popular at European rallies with other Brits ;) )

Waterproof layers (lightweight and handy on and off the bike)
Spare gloves and buffs ( which ones depend on weather expected and the season)

Clothing appropriate for the season and event, etc. if it is a known muddy rally take clothes you don't worry about that keep you warm if they get damp. usually combats rather than jeans on a rally field and if possible the poly-cotton "fakes" that turn into shorts as they dry quicker than jeans or DPM issue.
Spare base layer (life saver if you get the ones your wearing wet on the way to a rally)
Spare socks and pants... mmm comfy to ride home in.

In summer I take a spare t-shirt as well as I are a big lad and get very sweaty.

Depending on time of year , usually a hoodie and or a lightweight fleece. MA1 jacket sometimes gets packed in the tent bag for late autumn and winter as it keeps you warm and has proven to be beer proof in case of spillage ;) If it was going to be a non-bike club event it would then be the TNF Nuptse jacket as it packs down small and keeps you warm before bed time.

Lightweight hiking shoes or boots is my usual luxury item as I like to give my riding boots time to air. Oh and a compact hiking pole to act as a walking stick if my duff knee starts to play up.

And of course wash kit , usually all in one case and micro fibre towels. Once again depends on what is in it based on solo,duo and seasons.

Usually also carry spare bulbs, small first aid kit, spare pegs, a few cable ties, spare set of Rok straps, and sometimes small compressor and repair kit depending how far into the boonies we are heading.

Map in the tank bags to plot were we are going and the GPS to give rough ETA's track were we have been and to give the WTFAI comfort of if we need to call in recovery we know.

It all depends on what time of year and where we are going , but roughly heavy stuff goes on my bike, Jules takes the light stuff on hers. Each time we pack will be different.

It's only when I go solo or we are on the road for more than a week packing with each item in a specific place becomes necessary.

I know some peeps get comfort from it , but we assemble all we need the night before , stick anything we don't want to get wet in dry bags then pack the panniers just before we leave to cut down on the length of time gear is compressed. Which is why we always have warmer sleeping bags than some of our more anal club members who pack theirs days in advance :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Return to “ACCESSORIES”