Cameras on your bikes?

The essential art of farkling.
HarveyCamm

Cameras on your bikes?

Post by HarveyCamm »

Who has cameras on their bike, not for the scenic stuff, you know - here's me on this green lane dodging bushes - I love that footage, I mean cameras watching other road users: maybe behind, maybe in front, maybe both. I bet we've all entertained the idea of having evidence to support our side of
the story if something goes wrong out on the Kings tarmac, I could've done with them on a previous bike where the insurance went 50 / 50 even though the woman drove into the back of me at a roundabout as they didn't believe me that I was stood still waiting for traffic!

I've been looking at the Innovv system, looks pricey but comprehensive - I don't think I've been a good enough boy for Santa to entertain the idea :lol:

If you've got them, do they give you a feeling of security, have they changed your own riding knowing that the footage could get you into bother? Would you put them on your next bike? Have you taken them off a bike after deciding they're not for you?
Tell me all :?:

Cheers
Harv
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Cameras on your bikes?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I hear that the insurance industry is changing its attitude to cameras, as so many accidents are caused by idiots filming footage for their channel.
See 'Jeremy Whine' wobbling around London on his bicycle and putting selectively edited footage up of the confrontations that he appears to engineer with other road users. Or Cycling Mikey, who initially posted some good stuff, but then turned YouTube into a way of life and was found by a court to have hurled himself onto a car bonnet.

That said, I think cameras can provide protection to vulnerable road users such as lorry drivers who are at constant risk from spurious claims by idiots. See Whine's footage of the wobbly policeman and the Waitrose lorry. Whine tried to get people to contact Waitrose to get the driver sacked. Waitrose viewed the footage taken from their truck and issued a statement in strong support of the lorry driver. Some lorry drivers then demanded that Whine be sacked by the BBC for abusing his position.

So, I'd seek an opinion from your insurer. And (it's too late now) I'd have fought that decision on the roundabout. If you were stopped at a Giveway and someone rammed you from behind, then that's their fault 100 per cent. It's your decision as to whether or not it is safe for you to proceed, not theirs. The only way it could be your fault at all is if you'd stalled when pulling away. And even then, it's the responsibility of the following vehicle to maintain a safe distance.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Personally, I think its a game changer .. I think twice now about doing naughty overtakes or baddy speeds.. .. .. mostly
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:30 pm So, I'd seek an opinion from your insurer. And (it's too late now) I'd have fought that decision on the roundabout. If you were stopped at a Giveway and someone rammed you from behind, then that's their fault 100 per cent. It's your decision as to whether or not it is safe for you to proceed, not theirs. The only way it could be your fault at all is if you'd stalled when pulling away. And even then, it's the responsibility of the following vehicle to maintain a safe distance.
I did try to fight it, she'd claimed I was filtering and not in a position she could see me, her N/S wing + my O/S exhaust + a feed into a roundabout - rear footage would have helped but this was the 90's and all the worlds camera technology required big BBC Outside Broadcast vans to move it around :-) They'd made their minds up and with no witnesses I'd got no chance - it's no wonder so many people don't like insurance companies.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I observe on BikeSafe and all of the South Wales Police bikes are now fitted with Innovv K5's, they love them, quality is great and the option to press a button on the remote and store a clip is really useful.

I'm going to fit a K5, partly to protect me in case something happens but also as a tool for training. The K5 has the faster download over WiFi but if it's only protection you want the K3 is more than good enough and easier to install too.

I do some training for https://motowales.co.uk/ who have started selling Innovv just in case you've been good enough this year for Santa to come.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

They look good. Years ago I looked high and low for a system like the k5 and k3. Bit tempted. I got taken out on a roundabout too last year. Luckily guy was very good and admitted it was his fault. Insurance for personal injury still hasn't been settled.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I've got an Innov K2 on the GS.

It's there to help me if I need to prove I was right, but subtle enough that it's not going to alarm people.

It also takes quite nice footage if you're riding somewhere scenic...

D
Bertie2010

Post by Bertie2010 »

I've considered purchasing the Innov system but have backed away as I think they're are a double edged sword So im not sure who they're protecting
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

That Jeremy Vine and Waitrose lorry incident was ridiculous. The lorry stayed in it's own lane for the whole time when it passed the cyclist but the cyclist was positioned too far to the right-hand side of his lane.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Bertie2010 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:20 pm I've considered purchasing the Innov system but have backed away as I think they're are a double edged sword So im not sure who they're protecting
It's subtle enough that other people may not notice it, plus your "SD card may have become corrupted" if you don't want to share....

On my CRF300 there have been a couple of occasions where eejits have come along the road and just missed me & I've thought "on the GS that would have been recorded if they'd hit me" whilst on the CRF the GoPro is only on while I'm off road....

D

Return to “ACCESSORIES”