BMW 1150 GS buying advice please

The Things We Ride
foley

Post by foley »

I've got my eye on an early 1150 GS, non ABS model, 40k miles with history. I know very little about them other than they rust quite badly but I'm not too bothered about how it looks, I just need it be reliable. Are there any specific areas on the bike I should be checking?

Cheers
Sopwith Camel

Re: BMW 1150 GS buying advice please

Post by Sopwith Camel »

Hi,
Well i've just taken a deposit on my 02 Adventure, i've had it for nearly 5yrs and no rust??
The lower fork legs are the worst part as they pitter, never heard about rusting?
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

Hi I am no expert on bmw's by any stretch of the imagination but have read numerous times about the front of the engine behind front wheel can suffer quite badly from corrosion, apparently there is a bolt on cover under which is a gasket which can absorb water and if left unattended can corrode all around and look quite messy.
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
suffolkgsrider

Post by suffolkgsrider »

How early is the bike as I believe the the 1150 first launched in 2000?
Where is the rust?
SGR
2005 BMW 1150 GSA

Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel.
foley

Post by foley »

Thanks for quick replies.
It's advertised as a 1999 T 1150 GS which maybe wrong if they were launched in 2000?? The guy selling has said that there is corrosion in the usual places, front engine cover and fork legs.
coasty

Post by coasty »

Hi

I have an 1100gs R reg which was one of the last so on a T plate yours probably is literally one of the first. Fork legs can be cleaned up, the front of the engine cover can be replaced, basically it covers the alternator belt. I seem to have a remarkably corrosion free one but maybe a previous owner replaced some parts I don't know.

Good strong engine, bit of a generalisation but if it sounds ok it probably is :cheer: . Good luck, they are great bikes.
suffolkgsrider

Post by suffolkgsrider »

You may wish to post this question on www.ukgsers.com as it has many GS Geeks. If the bike is 5 speed gearbox it may be a 1100 GS as the 1150s have a 6 speed box.
SGS
2005 BMW 1150 GSA

doctorzippy

Post by doctorzippy »

They're not really prone to rust even with year round use that they tend to get. As has been said already the alternator cover on front of the engine can suffer from rusty bolts, but these are easily replaced. Lower front fork legs tend to look worse than they are as the alloy pits.

Real things to watch are oil leaks from the final drive, excessive slop in the final drive (check by putting on centre stand in gear and rocking wheel back and forth, movement should be minimal), and burning oil.

If it's been regularly serviced it should be ok. The fact it's non-ABS means you've avoided the worst issues!
Life is a journey, not a destination
foley

Post by foley »

I'm guessing the corrosion is actually just pitting and wear.
I've taken a look on the ukgser forum; loads of good stuff on there.
suffolkgsrider

Post by suffolkgsrider »

As doczippy said final drive shaft may be an issue. I recall posts that say average life is 45 - 50 k and a BMW dealer repair / replacement of roller bearings etc is expensive. Mine on the 55 1150 GSA was refurbished under warranty at 45K so be warned.
Pitting of fork legs is no problem to sort and alternator cover is cosmetic. If fussed shop around for a replacement and negotiate the price.
Make sure you test ride for 200 miles on open roads and town driving as you need to be sure about a GS ! Folks love or hate them with equal passion. Read the article by Mark in ABR mag issue 7 I think.
I love my panzer :)
SGR
2005 BMW 1150 GSA

Return to “BIKES”