1200 explorer
No votes
something else ive not thought off
80%

Total votes: 5

Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: The middle of the road ADV's Africa Twin, Norden, s10

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I know a couple of people who had ATs (the new kind), neither kept them long...

So, the ideal bike for you? !

:D

Seriously, get the Yamaha...simple and economical.
dave h

Post by dave h »

if the heart is set on the AT do it yer only here once,

not my choice but not my money either,

dave.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

OnHellas wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:51 am Surely when the two bikes have different fuel ranges both fill up each time the one with the shortest range needs more?
This way there is less faffing about with multiple individual bikes and the tank that holds the most acts a bit of a bowser for the other one.
Ha yes, I've been that bowser. From my experience small bikes start using more fuel when they ride with bigger bikes and the bigger ones use less, two bikes same weight, same engine, same gearing. It just seams to work much better for us whether they're medium or small (never had a big bike)
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Haha cheers everyone an yep lmao what can I say variety is the spice of life.

Tbh I'm not sure which way to go yet, hence the thread to do some due diligence,

I actually like the idea of the Norden but after the bad luck with the two 390 Rejections I'm a bit hesitant it does tick most of the boxes just wish they did one with analogue clocks, but know the Japanese bikes would be a better fit once the house move is done should have a clearer picture on it, just back in Perthshire tonight after covering the east coast today as we hadn't seen it before viewing a few houses tomorrow so exciting times.

I can see the advantages price wise on the mid size stuff though when I got my last gs 1200 te Rallye was 11k, 21,000 miles or so n an 18 plate. So when the Husky n t7 is more sensible price wise it's not bad still alot of money though compared to what we used to pay years ago.

N then the s10 an Africa Twin are more reasonable again.

Lots to think about an plenty of time to think, gonna ride the 300 rally up to D&G next week to look round Thornhill again for a day n back ride.

At least dads really into the 300 Rally which is good tbh I can't fault it really, it's more just being curious about stuff and wanting a bit more less fatigue covering distance when on the long road sections as I love long distance travel with longer hours on the bike.

Good to see Paul doing well with his Norden :)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

If you're going to be doing a lot of road based adventure touring and hardly any off-road at all (which is what I think I read) then how about either the Tracer 700 or the the Tracer 900?

Both of them are very capable road bikes but in an adventure style package and there are loads of them for sale at all price points. The 900 triple is more manic than the 700 twin (and a bit bigger physically) plus the revised version from about 2017 onwards is better than the original 2015/16 model. Just an alternative couple of suggestions.

p.s. I've got an MRA vario screen and a Puig sports screen for a 900 Tracer, if anyone is after a bargain... 8-)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Weight, think of the weight.
790/ 890/ 901 are good bikes. I have a 2019 690 that has had no issues since new.
adventure steele

Thanks Scott and qcnr

I actually did think about the tracers but the insurance is quite high on them when I asked with my current broker thet said the dedicated adv bikes are lower on the insurance, an the vstrom 650xt as well they were classing under sports which is why they shot up on the insurance.

That's good to hear on the 790/890/901

Actually got to look at some last night on the way back to the hotel in Perth we passed Drysdale so decided to pop in an have a look was cool as they had a 901 an a 890 both looked cool but I was really taken with the looks on the Norden just the right amount of retro. They didn't have the expedition just the normal 901 an a printed brochure there's something you don't see every day now!

Fit and finish looked good to

Few mobile snaps, the only thing I've read about is the soft cams on them but I'm not sure how widespread that is, I know you get the better bits on the Explore but I think I'd prefer the lower height on the normal one.

Few mobile phone piccies

Least I've got plenty of time to keep researching between that an the AT which I think are probs my 1st n 2nd choice at the mo shame they didn't use the new tft on the new 390s.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:Thanks Scott and qcnr

I actually did think about the tracers but the insurance is quite high on them when I asked with my current broker thet said the dedicated adv bikes are lower on the insurance, an the vstrom 650xt as well they were classing under sports which is why they shot up on the insurance.

That's good to hear on the 790/890/901

Actually got to look at some last night on the way back to the hotel in Perth we passed Drysdale so decided to pop in an have a look was cool as they had a 901 an a 890 both looked cool but I was really taken with the looks on the Norden just the right amount of retro. They didn't have the expedition just the normal 901 an a printed brochure there's something you don't see every day now!

Fit and finish looked good to

Few mobile snaps, the only thing I've read about is the soft cams on them but I'm not sure how widespread that is, I know you get the better bits on the Explore but I think I'd prefer the lower height on the normal one.

Few mobile phone piccies

Least I've got plenty of time to keep researching between that an the AT which I think are probs my 1st n 2nd choice at the mo shame they didn't use the new tft on the new 390s.
Why the round headlight ?
Looks odd ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

adventure steele wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:41 am Thanks Scott and qcnr

I have a habit of breaking down increased costs (such as insurance) into a weekly amount to justify it...so an extra £150 a year insurance for a higher group bike is only an extra £2.88 a week or the cost of a coffee etc....that logic makes me feel better. But the flip side is that all those extras (or less coffees) also have a habit of adding up... :oops: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
adventure steele

I actually quite liked that Johnny retro 8-) I think its a marmite thing though, dad preferred the 890 front end.

I wouldn't mind getting a look at the Expedition version at some point looks good in the brochure.

Back to painting the house for two weeks now joys! Really excited for the house move though.

N deffo Scott I think if it makes for the right bike it's worth it was suprised on the difference between the AT an vstrom 650xt 600 quid difference in favour of the AT at 300 quid fully comp must be the Honda Hiss half the price of my 300 Rally to.

Norden wasn't to horrific think it was 650 while unemployed from memory obv comes down when back in work.

Return to “BIKES”