got the balls to buy one anyone?

The Things We Ride
OB1

Re: got the balls to buy one anyone?

Post by OB1 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:13 am This is interesting...

https://barebonesmc.com/kove-the-most-e ... d-of-2023/

The big adventure bike could be a winner...as the KTM competitor is built in China anyway

That's a really interesting piece... very honest and the first three paragraphs ring so true. I lived in Hong Kong about 20 years ago and I do get annoyed when people always associate the words "Made in China" with "Cheap and Tacky"... while totally ignoring the fact that their phone, TV, camera and so much more are also made over there. What you see as cheap and nasty is only that way because the UK, US and European companies outsourced the manufacturing to China and built it down to a budget so they could make more profit.

If you are one of those people that is so closed-minded to think everything that is made in China is poor quality you will be disappointed here.

I was lucky enough to work in China in 2000 and the story of a pair of shoes springs to mind. At the time I was paying around £60 a pair in the UK and most of what I could find in China was only about £10-£15 a pair. Then I found a pair that were the equivalent of about £50. I asked why and was told because they are made properly. 23 years later they are still my favourite shoes, have never been repaired or re-soled and still look smart enough to wear on any occasion.

That taught me that the reason we see Chinese products as poor quality is not that they are. It is because the companies who source products from China buy in general based on price. That will ALWAYS compromise quality.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Another interesting video.

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Toe

Post by Toe »

Watched this recently too.
The ultimate TLDW is that he's selling his 2022 500 EXC and buying the Kove. eveRIDE runs rallies in southern Utah and will be using it for this purpose.

Notes I made as I watched from the 40min video (not my opinions, literally from the video):
The bike being tested was a pre production reviewer test mule.
The bikes biggest issue is nothing to do with the bike, it's that it's made in China. "Eat the hotdog, don't think about how it's made".
Consider Subaru's reputation before the Impreza, they made a rally car affordable and that's what the Kove is doing.
He's previously ridden and reviewed Chinese bikes and been incredibly critical, enough to be called out and slandered online.
The suspension is a Showa copy, reminiscent of an XR650R.
Reminiscent of a KLR down low and a CRF450RL when revved.
Maintenance is comparable to other enduro bikes. 5000 mile valve check, 2-3000 mile oil changes.
360 mile range when riding aggressively. 2.2 US gal per 100 miles (45mpUSg).
Good finish, fit, feel with no rattles.
Pre production model being tested had tubeless tyres on spoked wheels and had flats. The importer messaged Kove to say it should have tubes and rim locks. Within minutes they replied to say they would now do this for production. Read - they listen to rider feedback?
White plastics looked scuffed and grubby easily.
LED headlights are good.
New bike won't have a big aftermarket or community knowledge for any issues. Pioneers need to be vocal. Parts diagrams (fiche) are available online.
Rated off road 7.75-8 due to weight (Honda 450L = 8.25), better than a stock DRZ and XR650R.
Rated on road 7, smoother and more comfy than a KLR (also 7).
https://www.everideadv.com/best-dualsport-motorcycles
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Thanks for the summary, @Toe.

I did watch the whole video and shouldn't have assumed that others would. A summary is just what's needed.

Following that: if he's ready to sell a KTM to buy this bike, I think that is enough of an endorsement! :idea:
justrtw.com
Toe

Post by Toe »

OB1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:46 pm Thanks for the summary, @Toe.

I did watch the whole video and shouldn't have assumed that others would. A summary is just what's needed.

Following that: if he's ready to sell a KTM to buy this bike, I think that is enough of an endorsement! :idea:
No worries! I actually think the video is worth the watch, it goes well above and beyond a regular youtuber bike review and is very well made.

Forgot to add probably as a mention or disclaimer that he is keeping a dirt only 2015 500 XCW (ie not road legal at all).
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
soho

Post by soho »

This bike and the SUR-RON STORM BEE are to me, two of the most interesting bikes of the moment and the rest of the world's makers ought to worried. I'm still waiting on the Transalp , but that's only because of my age and current riding ability. If I was a young man again I'd probably buy both ! :D
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I'm just watching the everride review now and I've kept my eye on this since they announced it was going to go on sale. It looks good, the specs look good, the price is fantastic and frankly I'd love one apart from 3 points:

1. I find the front end pig ugly.
2. I've got a "rally" bike in the shed I built from an 08 450 exc and it hasn't turned a wheel in a couple of years because I don't have a lot of free time anymore but absolutely love the thing so won't get rid of it even with its issues.
3. I'm cheap and I've already got a "rally" bike.

If I was just jumping into racing and road book events, yeah I'd probably take a punt, if my garage was twice the size I'd take a punt, if I was doing a lot of trails with road miles or longer trips and I didn't have my huskie I'd take a punt as well.
Yes it Chinese but so are loads of parts on big name brands anyway, yes it's new so it doesn't have loads of owner knowledge and dealer networks but they only come with time and ownership anyway.

Is it the unicorn bike we're all after, definitely not it won't and can't ever be because everyone wants something different. Is it the unicorn bike some people want, it definitely is yes, for some it will be perfect.
dave h

Post by dave h »

from Facebook,

9 m ·
Learn something interesting and new . There's some very interesting information here about the upcoming KOVE 450 Rally.
Gary GoodwinKove Rally 450 (North America)
etrnSdspoo17cca7
tu09c8cu22u8708h8a51if2h3f3f206il4l9lh
h
gf85
·
#Vibration
#subframe Metal on metal or vibration damper at 75mph down the hwy. What does the subframe have to do with vibration?
One of the fine details that goes unnoticed but is something that makes this bike so special! The subframe fuel tank. It’s not easy to have a composite fuel tank, the mold investment for something like this is big $$. It shows the factory’s commitment to this bike! This mold has been tested a lot over the last 3 years!! It is strong!! It very well mounted and it’s sleek!!
When you stand on the legs it’s narrow! Is feels very planted.
*****A huge part of what makes this bike work so well is the subframe.
Check the details here!! Those are rubber damper mounted subframe bushings and sleeve bolts. This helps a lot with the high frequency vibration you’ll get from a traditional aluminum subframe. Think about it…. 50 to 100 miles down the road at 75mph with metal and aluminum bolted together under your butt, or you could have a damber that eliminates a large portion of the vibration. This and a very well balanced engine, rubber damper handlebar mounts, nice big pegs, comfortable seat and wind protection make for a comfortable hwy cruiser when it’s time for the slab.
The metal on aluminum bolted together mounting of a traditional motorcycle, with the engine mounted to main frame and aluminum subframe directly mounted to the main frame….. this design transfers the engine vibrations throughout the whole subframe and frame, through the pegs, bars, seat, etc… By using a composite subframe along with these dampers, (photo) vibration can be significantly reduced. This type of subframe gives a “cushion” effect to the motorcycle helping to reduce vibration. The dampers help reduce the chances of cracks and damage to the composite subframe / tank. Our demos have definitely been “dropped and looped” plenty of times, they “crash” very well!! A few scuffs on the graphics but the tanks are strong!
The Dakar design of fuel under your butt and low works!! It completely changes from a typical “top heavy” four stroke bike to a “properly set up bike” and not just set up like the suspension works well, I’m talking about in the way that “weight” is in the right places! It’s a big difference!! You can’t have incredible handling with weight in the wrong places (big ugly desert tanks on enduro bikes for example).
If you haven’t riden a Dakar type “design” (I don’t mean crf 300rally or klr either) you don’t understand what it does. I don’t mean that at all In “I know everything way”, I’m just speaking from the physics of it. You have to “ride” a bike that carries the weight low like a Dakar bike to understand what the physics truly do. This is a bike that to a point….. you have to ride to understand it. I don’t mean a ride it to the grocery story and think oh it’s not for me. I mean hammer it!! Ride it hard, ride it like a 300 or 450 or run it down the highway at 80! It’s not a 300 but you’ll be surprised at what you can do on it. No it’s not a 890 but you’ll be surprised at how good it cruises and you’ll be smiling from ear to ear when things get nasty! It doesn’t have the power of a 690 but you’ll appreciate how much better it handles and lower and less weight, wind protection less vibs, tighter turning ratios in the right stuff and definitely the RANGE!!
A lot of people think “yeah but it’s Chinese”. If that’s meant as a derogatory term, like it often is…… This bike will change that perspective.
Fortunately for me, my fun is my business. If you like light weight adventure riding, rally racing or just real good and extremely capable dual sport that can also single track. This bike is going to be a great option for you. I can’t wait to have more of them here so we can get more people in them.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

It does look good--especially the price--my son has recently bought a CCM GP450--and when you start looking at that there is also some very similar engineering. 125 kg with 3 tanks and a very novel frame--a good idea of rear subframe strength is the fact that it came with pillion rests--also a great rear rack and pannier frame system--even came with custom luggage (but a bit fussy and not fully waterproof). They were well speced on brakes and suspension. Handling on and offroad is very good. I agree that they had their quirks but there is still a big following and lots of info. I think they did 4 seat height combinations. His has the low(comfy!) seat and even I can touch down with both feet--and still with a HD bashplate and very good ground clearance, especially helped by the engine design. A shame that they discontinued it, but engine availability was probably the main reason. It was NOT cheap, but with the specification sheet not needing needing any "extras"
dave h

Post by dave h »

dave.

Return to “BIKES”