Benelli TNT125 First Ride Mini Review.

The Things We Ride
Mosel Bikes

Benelli TNT125 First Ride Mini Review.

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Mini Review. 2019 Benelli TNT125. First ride.
Background context: - age 66, riding for 50+ years, sports bikes, then adventure bikes. Currently own KTM950 Adventure, Yamaha XT660Z, Yamaha WR250F. Awaiting hip replacement, hence need to get a small/light bike until hip is done and fully repaired. Height 5'10'', weight 13st 8lbs.
Positives: It's a hoot! Especially on the small backroads and trails. Easy to push around. Steers very easily and feels just like a bigger bike (which surprised me, given the small wheels - I expected it to feel like a scooter and far more edgy). Gear change is slick. Surprisingly comfortable, when you shift body position along the seat, to suit your preferred posture (I sit quite far back, because of my hip problem). Looks fabulous in my opinion and draws looks and interest form people. It's FUN and, in a nice way, funny. I like the active community of owners it generates.
Negatives: lack of power (but hey, we knew that, it's a 125). Footpegs have no return spring and I was forever knocking them up and having to look down to find them and put my feet back on when pulling away. Awful exhaust note and too noisy for my taste, even the stock system. Suspension is adequate, but clearly budget. The front is particularly bad, diving with even modest brake pressure and not rebounding well or progressively. The brakes are just about adequate, but quite wooden.
Keeper?: we shall see. It is the kind of bike that you can just get on and go. (If you've ever owned an R1 or GSXR1000 or TL1000 or a Blade you'll know what I mean - you have to think more about every trip). When I'm over my hip replacement and return to my bigger bikes, I'm not so sure.
At least I can keep it at home, despite the problems with access due to numerous steep steps and a narrow passage at the side of the house - solved by a £20 4.5 metre aluminium ladder on Marketplace and 2 sheets of OSB for £12. Just freewheel it down and feather clutch it up whilst walking alongside, works a treat!
P.S. No idea how to rotate images on here! It's the right way up on my computer when selecting it!
DSCF9907.JPG
DSCF9907.JPG (197.32 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
ramp6.JPG
ramp6.JPG (194.78 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Scott_rider

Re: Benelli TNT125 First Ride Mini Review.

Post by Scott_rider »

Mosel Bikes wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:30 pm It is the kind of bike that you can just get on and go. (If you've ever owned an R1 or GSXR1000 or TL1000 or a Blade you'll know what I mean - you have to think more about every trip).
I had pretty much exactly the same feeling this summer when I was loaned an A2 restricted SV650 for the day whilst my GSX-S1000F was being serviced. It felt like I could ride it anywhere, anytime, just taking in the scenery without concentrating :oops: . Not sure if that's a good or bad thing...probably the latter... :?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Love a small bike review! Thanks 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

"It felt like I could ride it anywhere, anytime, just taking in the scenery without concentrating"

That together with easy handling even when not riding. Parking, turning around....

Makes a good travel bike.

I also have a Benelli on the wish list.
TRK 251. For me that should be a very good travel bike.
In the mountains of Europe.

https://portugal.benelli.com/news#66671

=
I have also replaced my heaps.
The arthrotis made me to first lower the foot pegs and then sell my GSX-R1100.
A Moto Guzzi with boards instead af pegs and better angle of the knees gave me another year.
But there was a period with no riding.

With replaced joints, there is still restriction on load. So the Harley Panhead, I could not kick any more.....
Riding for fun or travel ?
That has changed over the years. Due to live situation and age....
There is room for both.
Even a Harely Davidsson WL 750 side valve is a very fun bike to ride.

GSX-R 1100 (1200 cc with RS 36) => Moto Guzzi California => Suzuki DL 650 + Honda NX 4 => Royal Enfield Himalayan (temporary) => Benelli 250 ?
It is fantastic to have a 150 kg bike like the Honda NX.
But.. I still keep the Kawasaki GTR 1400.
=

Keep us updated on the Benelli 125 cc machine
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

A man who clearly understands hip arthritis (the worst pains are usually in the groin and upper leg strangely - making bending your leg uncomfortable) and who, like me, has adapted their riding and their bikes accordingly. I had my left hip replaced several years ago and it transformed my life, literally overnight, so I'm hoping it will be the same when they do the right one - albeit after a few months fully recovering (it takes longer as you get older!).
Yes, I will of course continue to update. However, it might be gone soon! I should have considered a Suzuki Van Van when I was deciding on a bike, as I prefer the old school and one section seat, but for some reason it never crossed my radar, maybe because I assumed the bars would be too wide to get through the 'tunnel' I have. Maybe also because it's a bit heavier. There's one local to me however and they are clearly keen to do a part ex with my TNT and they clearly sell well.
All the best, still great to see your travel reports - a true adventurer. I salute you sir.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Duplicate post removed
Last edited by Mosel Bikes on Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowling

Post by cowling »

Great Mike, I have a honda grom, very similar to the tnt, and it's a revelation to ride., quite liking the smaller cc stuff these days. 👍
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Great to hear that Neil. Hope things are good for you.
I considered a Grom, but they cost twice as much as the TNT and I wasn't sure I'd take to such small bikes, so I thought I'd play safe. That said, the Grom does seem to hold its re-sale value very well and it is a Honda, so will likely run forever!

Return to “BIKES”