Suzuki V-Strom 800 DL

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

https://www.advrider.com/the-new-2023-s ... 11-08-2022

What they should have done years ago.

Should wake things up a bit, along with the new Honda TransAlp
Scott_rider

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 800 DL

Post by Scott_rider »

Nice legs...my first thought was maybe shame about the face...but it looks much better in that video than it does in the static shot...

So I'll change my comment to...Nice one 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Seems good, good spec and mpg, and although 30kg heavier then the new TA at least they haven't skimped on the steel frame, rear trestled subframe looks good. This type of, let's face it, 'Hybrid' bike needs a good strong base for 2 up luggage.

These 'middle weight' 'all terrain' do,it,all, monsters are actually really good .. for the price range. but are actually, in my opinion, heavy rehashes of the original previous road bike, though admittedly the suzuki seems to have a new? engine.

The bigger adventure bikes, 1200 or cc, seem to make really good road bikes too, with their more road friendly ergonomics, more so than many road bikes ... would love to try one lol .

We all know that smaller lighter bikes are much easier off road, butere is a strong market for the adventure bike, as, with pillion, fully loaded, it can still get to outlying places or over trails less travelled, perhaps unexpectedly , and I am all for them.

.. but .. I still get this feeling that they are mostly rehashes of big road bikes, intended for looks mostly, but capable of an occasional gentle off road foray?

For instance, would I consider using one to ride the tet through France?
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

garyboy wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:05 pm
.. but .. I still get this feeling that they are mostly rehashes of big road bikes, intended for looks mostly, but capable of an occasional gentle off road foray?

You are probably right. I struggled off-road with my my old '09 XT660Z Tenere. At the time I still also had my '08 KTM450EXC-R and I think the ease of riding that off-road (which is all I ever did on it) tainted my experience of the Tenere. However some riders ride Teneres around the world, so I guess it boils down to what your used to riding? The weight and un-wieldlyness wasn't for me, sadly.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Scott_rider wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:33 pm
garyboy wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:05 pm

You are probably right. I struggled off-road with my my old '09 XT660Z Tenere. At the time I still also had my '08 KTM450EXC-R and I think the ease of riding that off-road (which is all I ever did on it) tainted my experience of the Tenere. However some riders ride Teneres around the world, so I guess it boils down to what your used to riding? The weight and un-wieldlyness wasn't for me, sadly.
yeah ..
I was just going to write though, that if was bike touring abroad, i would actually prefer an adventure middleweight rather than a smaller trail bike .. for the longer legs (power, gearing, on road) and ease of getting along the drive to the camp site lol. or steep grass slope to t he tent? lol
.. and if i was doing the tet i would take a crf250.

I had a yamaha ttr600 and it was only 160kg or so. on paper the ideal bike for one bike do it all, but I also found it too unwieldy for harder trails. so i got a crf250 dual sport and a nc750 road bike. TBH i found the 250 still too heavy for challenging trails, at 157kg? ... nearly as heavy as my 600 ttr (which is why i am bitching on about heavy road bike conversions to dual sport hybrids.) ... and my nc750 a bit too underpowered for enthusiastic road riding . i found the 600ttr dangerously lacking over 70mph, but great to ride up to that speed on smaller roads.

ps .. i would choose the honda rather than the suzuki i think, (on looks mostly) but would not want fly by wire. but would want more mpg.
Richard Simpson Mark II

When the XT 660 Tenere first came out, I was very taken with it.
So much so that I went to the local Yamaha dealer, watched while they uncrated the first one they had, and then they let me push it across the showroom floor.
First shock: the colour. "Used Nappy Interior" Good grief, what were they thinking of when they mixed that one? Please wash your hands! I suppose if you were in Morocco it would help you to get used to the public toilets.
Second shock: Straight from the crate with no fuel it seemed more top-heavy than my 950.

I felt embarrassed. they were all expecting me to say "wow!'

Instead it was: "OK thanks, err, not quite what I expected, but I'll think about it."
Richard Simpson Mark II

More here

those footpegs look weird
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I find the Honda a far better looking bike than the Suzuki. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and that.
Rapidly approaching an age when I should start thinking about downsizing, but thankfully I still have the strength to hold up the 1200 for the time being. Need to make the decision before I can’t. Will it be a middle weight adventure bike or scooter. 🤔 Hopefully won’t need to just yet. 🤞🏻
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Been thinking a lot lately about replacing my 250 CRF Rally with 800 DE. More comfort, lower seat height, more power. My personally preferred brand.
But. It's a large amount of money to spend, and of course that big elephant in the room, the extra 50 kilos. Even the Rally is not really a lightweight.
At my age I'm probably better off following our Godspeed's example of going big and riding small.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I was taken by surprise by finding not one but two 800DE's at my local Suzuki dealers last week, I hadn't realised they were in the showroom yet.

I threw a leg over and first impression is that it has softer suspension than my 2015 VStrom 650 and is a fair bit taller, a couple of inches at least. Other then that it felt like a very familiar riding position.

I'm off to Scotland any time, so I have booked a test ride at the end of the month, when the 650 is in for some new tyres.

Return to “BIKES”