BMW F800GS...am I missing the obvious?

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've been contemplating Yamaha T700 or aprilia 660 as possible 'one day' replacements for the KTM950...but the truth is they are each about the same weight as the KT
But I was idly turning pages on some old magazines last night and saw the BMW 800...according to the spec it's lighter than any of the above, and has a bigger and arguably better engine than the Yam or the aprilia.
So, do the two new entrants to the class represent progress, or is it the king's new clothes.
Be interested to hear from anyone who has good or bad things to say about owning the BM. Is it still a current model?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:I've been contemplating Yamaha T700 or aprilia 660 as possible 'one day' replacements for the KTM950...but the truth is they are each about the same weight as the KT
But I was idly turning pages on some old magazines last night and saw the BMW 800...according to the spec it's lighter than any of the above, and has a bigger and arguably better engine than the Yam or the aprilia.
So, do the two new entrants to the class represent progress, or is it the king's new clothes.
Be interested to hear from anyone who has good or bad things to say about owning the BM. Is it still a current model?
Finished in 2012, although the adventure version was made until 2014
Capable bikes, have some unique issues
Stator can fail in hot climates
Top shock mount bolt is a poor design and can bend, damaging the frame mounts
Search AdvRider as they have a F800 section
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Steve T

Re: BMW F800GS...am I missing the obvious?

Post by Steve T »

On my 4th one (keep selling them then realising my mistake and getting another :roll: ).
Not ridden the KT but after rolling up to the localish Yam dealer on my F8GS and putting some miles on there T7 I was left wondering why I would change to the T7. The F8GS does everything that the T7 can do, IMHO.

JB has a few facts wrong - they update the F8 in 2012 and then again in 2016 when they introduced the ride by wire throttle. The 850 version came out in 2018 I think to replace the F8. I've ridden an F850GS and it did nowt for me - they have a "normal" fuel tank above the engine, so thats umpteen litres of fuel high up, where as the F8 carries its fuel under the riders butt.
I've also ridden the adventure version of the F8 - it's a bit lardy compared to the standard bike with an extra 8 litres of fuel and added plastics . . . plus it's an inch taller than the standard F8 :shock:

The 2012 update changed the stator, removing the mentioned problem. The update also included some more sensible improvements - the rear brake resevoir was moved out of the way, the front one was no longer on a wobbly stalk. The reg/rec was also re-positioned to make it less vunerable to drop damage.

The shock mounting bolt "problem" was found by the really hardcore, enduro type riders else where in the world, who can get enough speed up to grab some air over yumps. I've done 3 trips to and around the Dales on as many BOATs etc and my rear sock mounting bolt hasn't deformed.

Just my opinion as a biased multiple F8GS owner :D ;)

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I've never ridden one but I've always liked the look of them as they seem 'purposeful' and get a good review 8-)

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Thanks all...so it seems a 2012-16 would be the one to get.

I've just skimmed through Autotrader and MCN on-line, and it looks like the only ones for sale ATM are at The Superbike Factory, or in Scotland!

So, I'll keep my eyes open but won't be making any changes yet.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Quite a few on Ebay (besides Superbike Factory)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

I am also looking at a late 800GS when the time comes to change. Looked at the T7 and had a ride on one & really liked it - but as mentioned above the 800GS ticks all the boxes (for me) that the T7 did. what put me off in the past was what I thought was a small tank range but after speaking to an owner he reckoned 200 miles no problem. He also said he owned a KTM & a 1200GS and the 800GS was the bike he would take out the most - that (to me) speaks volumes.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

This chap has lowered his price from £6900 . . .

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw-motorbike ... 1438091746

Still only a £5k bike though, IMHO.

They are a bit of a Swiss Army knife of bikes, bit like the XRV750 Africa Twin was/is, except the F8 is lighter and uses less fuel :D .
I had both in the garage for quite some time and I sold the @ cos the prices they were attracting were silly.
10-210522-CamRdHigh.jpg
10-210522-CamRdHigh.jpg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Steve T wrote:On my 4th one (keep selling them then realising my mistake and getting another :roll: ).
Not ridden the KT but after rolling up to the localish Yam dealer on my F8GS and putting some miles on there T7 I was left wondering why I would change to the T7. The F8GS does everything that the T7 can do, IMHO.

JB has a few facts wrong - they update the F8 in 2012 and then again in 2016 when they introduced the ride by wire throttle. The 850 version came out in 2018 I think to replace the F8. I've ridden an F850GS and it did nowt for me - they have a "normal" fuel tank above the engine, so thats umpteen litres of fuel high up, where as the F8 carries its fuel under the riders butt.
I've also ridden the adventure version of the F8 - it's a bit lardy compared to the standard bike with an extra 8 litres of fuel and added plastics . . . plus it's an inch taller than the standard F8 :shock:

The 2012 update changed the stator, removing the mentioned problem. The update also included some more sensible improvements - the rear brake resevoir was moved out of the way, the front one was no longer on a wobbly stalk. The reg/rec was also re-positioned to make it less vunerable to drop damage.

The shock mounting bolt "problem" was found by the really hardcore, enduro type riders else where in the world, who can get enough speed up to grab some air over yumps. I've done 3 trips to and around the Dales on as many BOATs etc and my rear sock mounting bolt hasn't deformed.

Just my opinion as a biased multiple F8GS owner :D ;)

Steve T

8-)
Sorry
You are correct
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Doesn't Ryan F9 have F800GS as his personal bike?
Champagne taste on beer budget.

Return to “BIKES”