Here we go...

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Here we go...

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Scott_rider

Re: Here we go...

Post by Scott_rider »

I see from that article that they are praising the installation of 7,500 charging points in a year. That’s only 1 for every 4,000 homes in the U.K. I think there is a long way to go before petrol engines are banned and hopefully it’s well beyond 2035. Either that or there’s got to be a stratospheric advance in charging technology and the associated infrastructure by then.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

The ambition with electric vehicles is way beyond either the ability to build them or provide a charging infrastructure.
It's typical 'pie in the sky when you die' stuff.
Just like nuclear energy was going to mean free electricity for all, and computers would do 'most of the work' allowing us to live in well-paid leisure.
'The future' we were told about as children turned out to be a bit of a disappointment really. Even the monorail at Birmingham Airport isn't actually a monorail!
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:03 pm Even the monorail at Birmingham Airport isn't actually a monorail!
It was more of a Shelbyville idea...

There is a interesting hydrogen development from Toyota I was reading the other day. Swappable canisters. I really hope Hydrogen becomes a solution for us all.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

This was part of the message when they told us about cars being banned from 2030. They also said, in the small print, that USE of ICE engines will be banned 5 years after. I agree we don't have the capability to go all electric, and probably won't in 2030, but do you think that'll change the politicians minds.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Earlier this year, I attended a future transport technology exhibition at Farnborough. I rode their on my petrol motorbike even though it was raining, which save the planet a little bit as it didn't cause congestion and does 10 mpg better than my car.

On our side of the fence, electric buses, dustcarts etc.

On the other side of the fence...a long queue of 'business jets' waiting to take off, each one carrying someone very wealthy and important.

One future for us, and another for them.

See also all the planes that flew to Glasgow for COPT26...

I'll start to take MMGW seriously when those in authority do...no sign of it yet.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

It doesn't matter whether you take it seriously or not, you'll be forced into EVs and so forth .
Richard Simpson Mark II

Had to laugh, I was in Screwfix yesterday and the man in front of me was a PC in uniform collecting some paint.

His Police diesel Ford SUV had been left idling and unattended outside.

The police can't leave their vehicles with equipment on and the engines off or the batteries go flat...so I wonder how they will get on when they are forced to go electric?

According to Sky News Australia, police in Gloucestershire, England, have complained that the forced electrification of their fleet is compromising operational efficiency...the vehicles sometimes won't complete a shift on a single charge, and need to be recharged before they can go out on the next shift. Strangely, news outlets nearer to home aren't reporting on this so much.

I wonder if it will even be possible to fight wildfires with battery-operated fire-engines? How much water capacity will be surrendered to allow for the added weight of the batteries?
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Well, they keep telling us that they charge up so quickly, in the time it takes to have a coffee, so there shouldn't be a problem. Unless someone is lying about charging times of course....

Return to “BIKES”