Here we go...

The Things We Ride
Scott_rider

Re: Here we go...

Post by Scott_rider »

fatowl wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:09 am Well, they keep telling us that they charge up so quickly, in the time it takes to have a coffee, so there shouldn't be a problem. Unless someone is lying about charging times of course....
The NEC in Birmingham has electric car chargers in the car parks that have an output of 3.5kwh. They give you 15 miles of range per 1 hour of charge. We went to the bike show last year in my mate's fully electric Mini Cooper S. It took 6.5 hours of charging to give the car the 100 miles range that was needed in order for us to get home. In my opinion, that isn't practical.

p.s. the Mini Cooper S EV has a maximum range of 145 miles so if you have no option other than to recharge it for a return journey like that.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

One of the big problems with electric vehicles, and it gets worse the heavier the vehicle, is that it's not capable of doing the miles that it needs to do to pay back the price premium in saved fuel v an ICE vehicle.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:48 pm One of the big problems with electric vehicles, and it gets worse the heavier the vehicle, is that it's not capable of doing the miles that it needs to do to pay back the price premium in saved fuel v an ICE vehicle.
..and maybe more so that you can't drive 100 miles from Aylesbury to Birmingham and return without stopping for 6.5 hours to recharge your car. That's all well and good if you are at an all day function like we were but no good at all if you were, say, at a business meeting for 2 hours. I suppose a Tesla would be able to do it but not everyone can afford a Tesla.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

That's an interesting scenario...I've wondered how I would get on in that situation...drive to the town where your meeting is, find a charger, plug in, phone a taxi to get to where you actually need to be, do the meeting, phone a taxi to get back to your car, hope it's drawn enough charge to get you home.
Also, I've found out two interesting things about advertised recharging times:
1) the times often quoted are to take the battery from 20 to 80% charge. The other 40% can take as long again, and batteries do need periodic full recharging to balance the cells.
2) rapid charging actually causes physical damage to the battery internals, and will shorten battery life if you make a habit of it.

Interesting that in the last 2 weeks YouTube has been full of videos saying how the Tesla Semi is reshaping the American truck industry. They use clips from the original 'reveal' back in 2017, then claim the truck is now in commercial service, which it plainly isn't. Are they just trying to boost the share price after Mr Musk's recent run in with Twitter? Tesla never revealed the payload, which is rather important to truck operators.

It matters little in Europe, where Mercedes, DAF, MAN, Volvo, Renault and Scania (and even the UK's Dennis Eagle) all have electric trucks up and running now.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I watch 'James&kate' on YouTube, they run a Tesla and an MG that is converted for his mobile EV repair/service company. They do big miles and although they love EV's they film real life problems they have running pure electric vehicles.
To me you can't get IC compatible performance and IC compatible vehicle range, it's clear that you have to reduce (unnecessary) performance to improve battery range.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

I'll have to seek that one out.

I recall the test BIKE did of the Harley LiveWire...they said it was perfectly good around London, but walloped its battery in no time on the open road.
There seems to be a law of diminishing returns...the bigger/faster you go, the less use they are.
I'm sure the LiveWire was good around town on its own merits, but given that TfL has imposed a 20 mph speed limit, you'd probably be faster point to point on an electric push-bike
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

My BIL bought a small dinghy last week, it came with an electric outboard engine. He tested it out. The battery is basically 2x car battery so weighs A TON, it gives 0.75 hp, which give s about 2 mph. The tide comes in at 5-6mph. So not ideal ! In fact, if could be fatal, as you could easily get swept out to sea. It wasn't possible to cross the harbour safely, as it often got swept into moored boats. It might be OK in your bath tub, but as a usable boat engine, no way.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Electric dinghy is good on a lake. Quiet so it doesn't disturb the neighbor's.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Scott_rider wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:51 pm I see from that article that they are praising the installation of 7,500 charging points in a year. That’s only 1 for every 4,000 homes in the U.K. I think there is a long way to go before petrol engines are banned and hopefully it’s well beyond 2035. Either that or there’s got to be a stratospheric advance in charging technology and the associated infrastructure by then.
Climate communism all part of the New World Forum, the Great Reset designed to drive the world into some sort of Marxist State.
You can reckon on 10 % of those charging points being out of order and this number will grow as they age and ways of stealing from them are developed. Unless you join the 10s of different "charging clubs" the cost is slightly more than a diesel. There is a somehow a deep evil grip on the world in this country it can be traced back to Toxic Tony maybe even earlier than his day.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Pint Master wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:48 pm
Climate communism all part of the New World Forum, the Great Reset designed to drive the world into some sort of Marxist State.
You can reckon on 10 % of those charging points being out of order and this number will grow as they age and ways of stealing from them are developed. Unless you join the 10s of different "charging clubs" the cost is slightly more than a diesel. There is a somehow a deep evil grip on the world in this country it can be traced back to Toxic Tony maybe even earlier than his day.
I agree with this sentiment - for more evidence look at the replies to the "Don't go to Wales" thread re the 20mph limits - lots of people supporting the continuing reduction of speed limits and the extension of "Big Brother".

WTF is happening to us - we are sleep walking into a dismal boring future.

Return to “BIKES”