390 ADV KTM
25%
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

qcnr

Re: Iceland bike choice?. 300 Rally - 300L - Himmy

Post by qcnr »

I have also been to Iceland, albeit in a car (4x4). I would agree with Magnusson. You have to stick to the 'roads' in Iceland, your biggest
issue will be water crossings. And for that it doesn't matter what bike you have.
Also before going fit the toughest knobbly tyres you can fit, as the volcanic rock will shred whatever
you have.
Whatever you do have a great time, but if you decide on Norway, then pop in and say hello :-)
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Thanks qncr was reading about the f roads which is what I meant about off road in Iceland ^_^ still look amazing fun that's for sure! That's a good idea on tyres advice is always appreciated.

Hoping to do up through Norway then drop back into Denmark n then get the ferry to Iceland very excited about Iceland looks so beautiful.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

That's a great photo of the CRF going down the rock steps 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Step?? ... that's a Cliff :shock: :D
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

yer got sucked in ..neil is a decent trials rider .....i kinda forgot im nearer to 70 than 17 ..17 brain cells maby ?
my descent was ok :D the run off was somwhat less dignified :roll: ......need to act me age not me shoe size :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: when we did the tnt last week neil said it had a tro on it ...i said oh what shame trying to look dissapointed ..what i were really thinking was....... thank fuck for that ! :mrgreen:

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Very good :lol: . It's easy to either grab the front brake on the drop off and then catapult over the bars...or make the drop off and then lose control as the momentum of the bike takes over. I've done both ... :oops:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
adventure steele

so scrap the previous edit of this post had a big change about on what we are fancying ended up between the 500x and the 310GS now :) exciting stuff.
adventure steele

Re: Iceland bike choice?. 300 GS v 500X

Had a total change of direction so after looking at quite a few bikes we've decided to have a propper look at the 310GS or the 500X both with and without the rally raid kit both seem to fit the trip a bit better.
frenchy3

Re: Iceland bike choice?. 310 GS v 500X

Post by frenchy3 »

I have spent most of my adult life searching for perfect bikes for trips off road and that are acceptable on road,comfortable ,light enough to pick up if you drop it and good luggage carrying capability. I have come to no conclusions after spending vast sums of money :lol: Two bikes i can recommend however are the Royal Enfield Himalayan which many people discount when they see the low power output. It rides so well on the road,you do not notice you only have 24.5 bhp. They are surprisingly good off road,have a decent sized fuel tank and great fuel economy,come with an affordable factory pannier option. The screen is very useful and there are a myriad of cheap upgrades and the bike is cheap to run and insure,parts are cheap and readily available. I loved the silky smooth engine with most of the torque low down which inspired confidence off road much like my old Harley Davidson MT350. Neither of these would make you an off road hero if you are a skilled rider but i found the Himalayan and MT350 took me places with confidence i would not normally have tackled even with more dedicated off road bikes and just kept plugging away without being intimidating.
the other bike is the Honda CRF250 rally. Just look at Minkyhead,s reviews and reports. I was waiting for the 300 rally to come out but the waiting list and cost new put me off and from what i have heard the 300 rally does not offer much more than the 250. Again you get a bike that is cheap to run and insure ,a proven platform with a great unburstable engine with a proven track record,decent fuel capacity,available luggage options,a screen and decent headlights. It is much lighter than the Himalayan,easy to pick up if dropped but enough weight to offer stability on the road.
They both have good six speed gearboxes with well spaced ratios. I only ended up with the Honda CRF250 rally because i decided on owning two bikes and sold the Himalayan and bought a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 as well (great bike but another story and a few people have modified these to make scramblers that are good on the road and a limited off road capability for stoney and gravel tracks etc) Probably doesn,t help much but i would happily tackle any trip on either of these bikes.
adventure steele

Re: Iceland bike choice?. 310 GS v 500X

Thanks mate any opinions and advice is always a help an very much appreciated :) I was initially leaning towards the Himmy or Rally my old man struggled quite a bit with getting his leg over on the Rally then the seating position both quite liked the Himalayan to as I've got a few long stroke Nortons n a few classics I'm leaning towards something modern feeling for my main bike.

I think any of the bikes would do it all but I'm gonna be doing some big road mile days as well I'm my Normal riding so that's a consideration to needing something that can handle 600 mile days as well.
My dads happy as punch as I gave him my Vstrom for his birthday yesterday :) which leaves me with his gsxr 750k9 to fund a new adv bike so a fairly healthy budget.

It's mad isn't it how hard the 300 hondas are to get still. Sometimes I just wish someone would make a 500 long stroke again riding my 1920s one really hammers home what a brilliant configuration it is.

Return to “BIKES”