crf250 Rally

The Things We Ride
Cornishman

Re: crf250 Rally

Post by Cornishman »

catcitrus wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 am Picking up on Minky's comment about clutches , and about how some people make them last, I would add my 5 p'neth. Being old and brought up on fragile and heavy old Brit single clutches you use the clutch just to get going and to change gear. IMO on gentle trail riding there is virtually no need to slip the clutch with a modern 250 provided that the gearing is sensible. Its really surprising how bikes will keep their momentum and chug up difficult inclines with low revs. Pulling the clutch simply results in you coming to a standstill or trying to carry on with loads more revs and continuous slipping--a burn out will come soon. Next time you are tempted to slip don't. Just keep a bit of throttle on and let it chug up.
I started riding in fields on a BSA Bantam. My father soon bought a Greeves 24 TES which upped the game considerably. I can still rememember him giving me exactly the same advice, leave the clutch leaver alone!
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

It's not a pretend adventure bike. It's a pretend rally bike. :D But seriously, it's not designed for fast trail riding, or even serious off roading. It's a rally look version of a bike designed for dirt roads for people travelling or on bad roads, not for people racing. It's a great bike for people travelling on roads in less than pristine condition. Luggage capabilities nonwithstanding.

As for clutches. I've never burned out a clutch. I don't get why some people grip the clutch so much while riding.

That bike may only be just over 150 kilos (or 24 stones if you prefer) but it's more difficult to lift than my 250 kilos (or 4.9 faggots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(unit) if you prefer) GSX650F. There is something to be said about the balance point of a wide 4 cylinder engine when the bike is on its side.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

just ride it gary dont matter what others think ....

me old crf pretend trail /adventure bike has done some pretty decent trips ..been with mates and solo where really the only persons opinion that matters is your own ....
light managable no bullshit motorcycle that gets the job done ... i waffled on in 2016 its 2022 now and i still have the same bike and would set off again for the 4th time with no concerns its appitite for work with minmal maintance is amazing i honesly wouldt thank toy for a big engined adv bike over there i said it at the time and still would choose the little crf . there are times when i can only just manage that so its relitive to the rider for sure i jusy cant manage the heavy bike when it goes wrong .....think i paid 2500 qquid for it from a guy who bought for his wife ...was in a shed with rusty spokes and theres till rusty now ......
i still think for remote tracks solo with a few sensible upgrades ....... theres a whole lot worse choices out there for sure
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks, Minky ... and thank you for taking the time to make that fabulous video.. those trails look ideal for the Rally.
Must admit I am getting a bit excited about using my 250 Rally, as I am beginning to see that the bike is in fact a true Adventure bike, ..as well as a fair road bike [with a good fairing, and ABS, and long service intervals], and great hard pack trail bike [with nice 'n soft springs, and balanced planted suspension]. It can handle some tricky trails too, and just glides through deep water, notwithstanding hidden boulders, lol.

I wish I had chosen the Rally over the L in 2016 when I bought the L new, [as a 2015 model with no ABS],. I made the mistake of modifying it too far, in terms of tyres and gearing, which spoiled it, but I am hoping not to do much to the Rally, as it is set up nicely, for multi-use gentle riding, and the plastics are not too bad as original, and can be used for a while (handguards and bashplate?)

in 2016 I chose my ex 250L because of the spec, which said it was 1" lower .. but the 250 Rally, with its softer suspension, is actually lower to sit on, and nicer suspension ... see? ... you can't always just follow the figures?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

just ride it for a while see if its for you ...chris off here at kodima composites does carbon pans and side protercors which are a deffinate help in spill on the rally and are popular
if you do anything later bear in mind you can use a better aftermarket 250l shock with 250l links that will drop it a inch but retain the correct lever rates and similarly you can get about the same on the forks ..just be guided by the lower claamping marks
standard rally with the correct spring will be south of 930 940mm seat height i think the standard spring is 70nm
thedifference is quite striking daves 14 stone has a yss on 100nm spring and correct sag ...toms on a test ride on a standard rally ..you can see its sagging badly if tom added luggage to the bike its going to struggle as is ..that is the major fault with the rally
Last edited by minkyhead on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I have ridden 250L's only a little thought they were pretty good in the short time I rode both road and moderate trail, the main noticable's for me were , the commonly spoken of gap between 1st and second it was a little frustrating to me not sure if there is alot that could have been done there in the design heavy bike, low power, reasonable cruising speed perhaps they could have all been spaced just a little different , I dont know but it was quite noticable you had to use first more than I would like, forcing a bit more speed often for second could possibly lead to more clutch use and a problem, Minky you are pretty switched on with ratio's, but its academic. Second I did'nt like the clutch feel, biting point etc perhaps more time and I would change my mind not seen others comment of this. Using the clutch other than starting and stopping is surely a fundamental trailriding skill, even a moderately advanced road riding skill in my opinion, I am very surprised at the differing opinion's to that, I am constantly most days and at numerous times doing so mainly for practice and at times for purpose, traffic lights, give ways, low speed traffic etc for practice and for purpose low speed manouvering in car parks and low speed/reduced power trailriding. This is possibly more important on a low speed tall geared GS1200 than some other bikes especially when the going gets sweaty, done properly I would say it has little detrimental effect to your mechanicals well I know so my clutch (dry) did over 146,000 miles in my ownership even after getting stuck in Corsican sand and quite a few other places getting smelly on many occasions, probably would have gone further too if had not gotten spatted with oil from the gearbox there was plenty left on the plate . Just a few of my observations I am just a Welsh Wobbler so dont take much notice of me, this guy appears to know a bit though, he's a pro and ex Dakar etc. Good stuff I think.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

yes the standard clutch has a judder ring that does take away that direct feel ....using barnett springs and 250rr clutch pack makes it feel a lot more direct .. it does seem the new 300l has revised the ratios and installed a proper slipper clutch sytem ..the clutch on the older models are not the best for sure
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

As its a 2019 model I thought that had uprated the slipper clutch, like with the 300.
I had a terrible time with my 2015L clutch, and now presume I will have to fo the same mod with my 250Rally.
The mod removes the sipper disc washer thing, as you know, and upgrades the clutch springs. .. doh .. I don't wanna do it again!! Lol.

Riding the clutch, I thought also, was a commendable skill, but these modern slipper slippy stuff don't seem to like it.

Atm the soft saggyness of the Rally seems to suit me :D .. I can just about reach the ground, even if it is soggy lol.
GazC

Post by GazC »

That’s a good photo Minky has put up showing the sag on the rear of the Rally. I thought the rear spring must be soft as when I sat my lardy 10 stone on both the 300L and the Rally at the NEC Show I could get one foot flat on the floor. With an aftermarket shock/spring and the correct sag set for me I would probably have to lower the bike. The 250L I rode a year or so ago had been lowered and I think had a low seat on it too and that was manageable, really liked it.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

For good info, check out minky's posts on the crf250L thread on here started by me.

When I lowered my 2015 L, I could just about handle it, it's height I reckon being taller than the later L or Rally, I think? ..My 2019 seems a lot lower as standard, though I don't know what's been done all to it by the previous owner. But I can get my toes down ok on the flat, and seem to manage OK now on the side slope trails.

The 300L looks and is quite a bit lower now, as designed by Honda. so would be a good bet for those of us with little dangly legs, me included. if you can afford one.

When I lowered my old L, I was soon dragging the bottom of the bike, and getting stuck, in ver shallow narrow ruts. It was a real pain! When my confidence increased a bit, I put it back to oem and it performed as intended, though I still found it high and heavy, for me.

What has surprised me is that the Rally 250 seems so much better, seat height, base height, and ruts depth ability.
Although the bike bottom is wide, it is just that bit higher, and sails through quite deep and narrow ruts.

Also.. I don't know why .. it feels a lot lighter than the 2015L, despite being heavier? Magic at work? Or perhaps I have improved my riding despite not ridden a trail for nearly 3 years? Lol

Return to “BIKES”