CRF300 rally?? like

The Things We Ride
garyboy

CRF300 rally?? like

Post by garyboy »

looking around, I just looked at the pics of the CRF300Rally, new.
So how are they thought of these days?
I used to have a CRF25oL so can compare with that.

Honest opinions, either way??
garyboy

Re: CRF300 rally?? like

Post by garyboy »

just looked at a 2019 250 rally ... fancy it more tbh lol .. fickle me
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Loads of people on here seem to like them...not so sure myself, but I've not ridden one.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

garyboy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:06 pm looking around, I just looked at the pics of the CRF300Rally, new.
So how are they thought of these days?
I used to have a CRF25oL so can compare with that.

Honest opinions, either way??
What do you want to use it for?
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

I have the 2018 250 rally. I like it (when I bought it it had with Hyperpro upgraded suspension, Sargent seat and external Camel fuel tank). It does not win races (not that I can't break the speed limit on any road in this country, and it keeps up with traffic) but it's more at home on the back roads. Reliable if treated properly.
I have not tested the 300. I read that it is slightly more powerful, few kilos lighter, but has more vibrations from the engine. Most agree that suspension needs upgrading if you weigh more than 50 kilos, and the seat is too hard. Both can be improved on a very low budget if needed.

It is basically the same bike as the CRF 250L, with slightly longer suspension and bigger tank.

The Versys 300 and KTM 390 Adventure are viable options for more on-road travels.

I hear the famous adventure-bike-rider :D Austin Vince has been using the 250L for his travels in recent years. I was originally going to get either 2CRF 50L or KTM 390 Adventue when the rally came up for sale near me.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Magnusson wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:28 pm I have the 2018 250 rally. I like it (when I bought it it had with Hyperpro upgraded suspension, Sargent seat and external Camel fuel tank). It does not win races (not that I can't break the speed limit on any road in this country, and it keeps up with traffic) but it's more at home on the back roads. Reliable if treated properly.
I have not tested the 300. I read that it is slightly more powerful, few kilos lighter, but has more vibrations from the engine. Most agree that suspension needs upgrading if you weigh more than 50 kilos, and the seat is too hard. Both can be improved on a very low budget if needed.

It is basically the same bike as the CRF 250L, with slightly longer suspension and bigger tank.

The Versys 300 and KTM 390 Adventure are viable options for more on-road travels.

I hear the famous adventure-bike-rider :D Austin Vince has been using the 250L for his travels in recent years. I was originally going to get either 2CRF 50L or KTM 390 Adventue when the rally came up for sale near me.
atm i seem to be set on the 2019crf250 Rally I have seen.
I had a 250L from new and found it ok for general use but a bit too high and a bit too heavy for me ... so ... obviously, i am going for an even heavier taller bike lol, as i am getting older now (oap logic) ... but it would be still a good general purpose bike, presumably, .. but i was wondering about the extra plastics, the softer suspension and the extra height .. and also about the extended cockpit front .. will it obscure vision, will it be too front heavy, .. but would welcome the extra wind protection.

I miss having a bike that can just turn off the tarmac and try out some easy trails, but know the crf250Rally is not that ideal bike, b ut a good compromise.

I spoiled my previous 250L by trying to make it into an enduro type bike, but realised, eventually, that the strength of the 250L is in its Honda induced good balance of road/trail. so would not be trying to do that with a 250 rally. It ( the rally) has ABS though, and a 10 litre tank (6 or 7 on the L) and i am hoping the taller suspension will be easier and softer on trails (as i found the L a bit harsh?) .... I am not sure about all that front plastic tho? and is it too cumbersome for harder trails?

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Lots of on-board footage and comparison of the various bikes on YouTube so put the kettle on and do some resesrch. Nathan Millwards vids are more real life use instead of Dakar riders pulling wheelies.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

Thanks tonibe.

I was actually out yesterday riding the 300 Rally back to back with the Himalayan. The other rider was a development rider for Honda and worked on the 250.

We both agreed the 300 is a 'bug' improvement over the 250. Maybe not on the trails where there isn't enough change to make any huge gain, but on road it's just got some meat in the mid range which makes it a more relaxed ride and I don't find vibrations too bad on it.

Problem obviously is price and availability as at £6100 and ideally still needing some suspension upgrades it's getting a lot of cash for a non premium product.

I've got a video to upload but it's typically not that glossy!

Ps. If anyone does want to ride it back to back with other bikes in the class I have crf300, Himalayan, euro 5 310 GS, KTM 390 adventure, cb500x rally raid, CCM gp450 now on the A2 fleet.

www.dorothysspeedshop.com
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

You may as well get a Tenere 700 instead of a 300 Rallye

Better in every department and as capable off-road too
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

It’s worth watching Itchy Boots’ latest videos.

Return to “BIKES”