The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: CRF300 rally?? like

Post by garyboy »

Will do 8-) 8-) 8-)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i think you will like it had mine 5 years now on march 1st . and tbo i have zero intention of replacing it ..ii do think the retaol at 6150 is getting up there but thats the way its going ..looking a little further ahead there are pleanty of 250engines online andanother 18 months the 300s will follow ..if mine starts blowing smoke or whatever 700 quid and one afternoon in the garage makes it good to go again ..little one has 44k up and the rally 22k
little one had had one clutch plate replacement at 35k and the rally has had nothong done to it at all and they have been used pretty hard

did a review a couple of years ago ...nowts really changed ...a t7 has come and gone in between ultimatly too heavy for some of the trails for me not sure whats happening with covid but being honest with meself if i had to choose which bike to ship ship for the balkans tet again having been out there severel times the crf would be the one ... simalarly uk meets id much prefer the crf when i get there .... it was just to heavy for me ...so i bit the bullet and just bought a road bike instead

Last edited by minkyhead on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
dave h

Post by dave h »

Enjoy your new bike Gary :D ,

Dave.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

cheers Dave 8-) 8-) 8-)

Minky .. glad to hear from you .. was hoping for your opinion and present situation .. cheers 8-) 8-) 8-)
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:44 am You may as well get a Tenere 700 instead of a 300 Rallye

Better in every department and as capable off-road too
Is it as capable off road? Have you ridden both, extensively?
I’ve seen reports of people selling their T7s and going back to smaller bikes because they’re just not as easy to handle off road.
I’d be interested in your thoughts , if you have experience of both.
Cheers
johnnyboxer

CRF300 rally?? like

Post by johnnyboxer »

Flipflop wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:44 am You may as well get a Tenere 700 instead of a 300 Rallye

Better in every department and as capable off-road too
Is it as capable off road? Have you ridden both, extensively?
I’ve seen reports of people selling their T7s and going back to smaller bikes because they’re just not as easy to handle off road.
I’d be interested in your thoughts , if you have experience of both.
Cheers
Only experience of T700 and XR400R (plus KTM & Yamaha WR etc in the past)
Yes the T700 is heavier than the CRF - but if you know your trails then the T700 is ok
I bought mine for Pyrenees and Spain and some of the more wide open trail riding where you can cruise the T700 down there in the road and then it’s still perfectly fine on the rocky European trails
Some people do some amazing riding on the T700 and I have been impressed with mine on the Yorkshire trails so far
The T700 is a very versatile smaller Adv bike and that’s why they sell well

Welsh trails

We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

All along I’ve been amazed that anyone would be comparing a Tenere 700 with a CRF 300, let alone a 250. They really do fit into completely different places in the Adventure Bike market place and that’s not only because of the big difference in their price. The Tenere is a good bike, a bargain that many people might consider a reasonable alternative to an Africa Twin. To call it a small Adventure Bike is however confusing in the extreme. It’s not. The CRF 300 is a small Adventure Bike but even it is heavy compared to the Enduro bikes that a lot of people prefer to go green landing or do stretches of the TET on. What the Rally has done, especially in the 300cc version is to give an excellent bike to keep in the garage for a bit if mixed local on road and off road fun into something that had the wind protection, range and power to make a long treck to some interesting trails a more comfortable experience than the 250L allowed. It’s a very popular bike because it offers a lot to people who don’t want to invest a lot of money in an extreme bike, it’s very reliable and cheap to run. There will be a lot of people who will buy one as a first dual sport bike before moving up to a Tenere 700 or middleweight KTM but far more will stick with what they’ve got. It’s a great little bike. The Tenere 700 is not a great little bike, it might well be great and it’s certainly a bargain but in no way can it be considered to be little.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

a extra 70 kgms and shit ground clearance is usless at times i aint antwhere near strong enough for them .. it really is the rider thats thekey ..i just throw me hand up crf is easier by miles if your not got a lot of talent ...toughter than it looks this day were ..brutal day in wales

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

plenty of talent showing there, Minky .... not sure i could tackle some of those areas, as boulders/rocks I find very daunting.

To me, the T7 looks far too heavy and top heavy for my lowly trail skills, at over 200kg.
I had a TTR600 which i would class as a mid weight trail bike, at around 165? kg.
the Rally is approaching that, but i am hoping that it is just as manoeuvrable on trails, as the TTR, which ran beautifully on its Ohlins/Paouli suspension (shame about the knackered engine lol).
Both it seems, have a very light and planted feel, and belie their weight, while still upright, on the trails.

By comparison, the 2015 crf250L was less weight than the Rally, but i found it too tall, too heavy, and a real pain when riding back from trails, on the road, knackered wet, and cold. But that was a lot down to me, trying to turn it into an enduro bike, so losing that vital road/trail balance, rumbling along on oversized aggressive tyres, and low gearing.

I am hoping the extra wind protection of the 250 Rally will show, as well as the softer longer suspension.

I checked out my new to me bike on Saturday, and the suspension feels plush, soft and long, easier to mount than the 2015 `L`, which i don't understand, and the engine sounded a peach, not like the rattly `L`. i had.
Last edited by garyboy on Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the Rally really is a beautiful looking bike, though, reports say it does not live up to its looks. But as i am a slow stealth rider :lol: it should be perfect for me. I know i will feel the weight when it comes to say nadgery or muddy uphills. as the `L` used to falter or bog out in bogs in these situations. Perhaps i should gun it more :D , though the tyres are a very limiting factor, i have found.

The Rally looks fab ... great styling and colour, but popular with scrotes who steal.
The silly petrol cap of the older `L` has been replaced with a flatter item which has `road` looks, but nice., and i just love the looks of the front fairing/screen, and hope it is effective.
I am not expecting too much performance improvement over the old `L` i had, as it is the same engine, but at least, i think, tweeked a bit to upgrade? and sounds so much nicer, and looks and sounds great on videos.
the suspension certainly feels a lot better, even though still a budget item? (trying it on the stand in the showroom.)
it looks immaculate, not a single mark or blemish on it ... looks new, even tho 4000 miles on it. ... obviously never been taken off road, and completely standard.
I notice that the bulky toy-like wish bones/rising links of the 2015 `L` have been replaced with something more akin to the `X` suspension .. smaller lighter and much nicer looking.

I not been so enthusiastic about a bike arrival as this one, for years. and that's what its all about, right?
ok, so i will have another 5 years of HP payments, to extend the previous 5 years of similar payments .... but we not on this planet for long, are we?! .... fukk covid, fukk the weather, fukk all that media aggression and anti-trail bike propaganda ... just get out there .. innit. .. while u can!
Last edited by garyboy on Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BIKES”