Beta X-Trainer preparation project

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: Beta X-Trainer preparation project

Post by garyboy »

So .. as `everyone` seems to be getting beta X Trainer, and i have paid off my road bike after 5 long years, I decided sensibly that i will not get another bike until i have saved up enough to buy one outright ... so, obviously, i went to look at a local Beta dealer on the off chance .. on the phone he said £4,295, 2018 X trainer, 92 hours, 1500 + miles or so? ..... but when i got there it had put on an extra 200 pounds? .. £4,495 .. no doubt because i had said i could buy up to £4,500. Not an encouraging start.

The guy was polite enough, but trust had suffered a blow already. He had obviously been watching too much of Boris on tv.
It was immaculate in conception, er, perception, as i religiously looked it over as a novice wanna be would. Sat on it ... fab ... great suspension, seat just wide enough to support piles (of weight), and less than 100kg apparently. it seemed tall for my little dangling legs, but the preload was obviously turned up very high.

I was put off slightly by the guy saying that he had just listened to the engine and it seemed oj so he had out it up for sale in the AB M/C showroom. Also the number plate was not on, as that was `up to me`? as I might want to get a small one? ... Also, the mot had run out, as just over 3 years old probably, and that was `up to me`? also. When pressed, his mate came out and said they would get it day time mot. ... not really impressed so far.

Then the crunch ... `can you start it up?` I asked .... FFucKK Me ... wot a fukkin `Orible sound ... I knew it was 2 stroke .. but didnt expect it to be rattly and Loud and fukkin SMokey .....

... I thought maybe they had improved 2 stroked since i last had one ..... ???
but NO ... I sjhudda known better.

No offense to RS on his beautiful new acquisition .....
but .. its just that 2T is Not for Me !!

Richard !! How could you ??/ ... you mad young Hooligan you !! .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .... but ... Enjoy !! 8-) 8-) 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ps ... what i was looking for, was something like a Alp4 or maybe an Alp2, maybe a Dr350, ktm freeride .. you get the idea ..
anything like that about... but on HP from a dealer ... around £3-4000 or possibly more?? .. preferably a lot less.

o ... and a QUIET FOUR stroke !!! ... :) :D :lol: 8-)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

garyboy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:41 pm ...on the phone he said £4,295, 2018 X trainer, 92 hours, 1500 + miles or so? ..... but when i got there it had put on an extra 200 pounds? .. £4,495 .. no doubt because i had said i could buy up to £4,500. Not an encouraging start.

That's naughty boy 'car sales' tactics... :roll: ...get an enquiry from a buyer, tell them a price, agree that they come to look at the vehicle, then change the price of the advert in the meantime. Some people will fall for it because once they see the 'vehicle' in the flesh they want it more and more and will pay the inflated price. Others will query the different price and then be told that there's been so much interest in it that they've changed the price upwards. Others will stand their ground, call the dealer's bluff and walk away...unless they get the price that was originally quoted.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

garyboy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:41 pm So .. as `everyone` seems to be getting beta X Trainer, and i have paid off my road bike after 5 long years, I decided sensibly that i will not get another bike until i have saved up enough to buy one outright ... so, obviously, i went to look at a local Beta dealer on the off chance .. on the phone he said £4,295, 2018 X trainer, 92 hours, 1500 + miles or so? ..... but when i got there it had put on an extra 200 pounds? .. £4,495 .. no doubt because i had said i could buy up to £4,500. Not an encouraging start.

The guy was polite enough, but trust had suffered a blow already. He had obviously been watching too much of Boris on tv.
It was immaculate in conception, er, perception, as i religiously looked it over as a novice wanna be would. Sat on it ... fab ... great suspension, seat just wide enough to support piles (of weight), and less than 100kg apparently. it seemed tall for my little dangling legs, but the preload was obviously turned up very high.

I was put off slightly by the guy saying that he had just listened to the engine and it seemed oj so he had out it up for sale in the AB M/C showroom. Also the number plate was not on, as that was `up to me`? as I might want to get a small one? ... Also, the mot had run out, as just over 3 years old probably, and that was `up to me`? also. When pressed, his mate came out and said they would get it day time mot. ... not really impressed so far.

Then the crunch ... `can you start it up?` I asked .... FFucKK Me ... wot a fukkin `Orible sound ... I knew it was 2 stroke .. but didnt expect it to be rattly and Loud and fukkin SMokey .....

... I thought maybe they had improved 2 stroked since i last had one ..... ???
but NO ... I sjhudda known better

No offense to RS on his beautiful new acquisition .....
but .. its just that 2T is Not for Me !!

Richard !! How could you ??/ ... you mad young Hooligan you !! .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .... but ... Enjoy !! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Sounds like you dodged a bullet there, Gary.

They do vibrate a bit...later models have an engine balance shaft.

They do smoke when cold: a combination of the choke, low combustion temperature and no doubt the oil control delivering a healthy precautionary splodge of lube because you get bore wash with the cold engine and rich mixture. But, when hot, they really shouldn't smoke or rattle much at all.

There was a batch of X-trainers made with the main bearings badly installed. They would vibrate badly, rattle and smoke even when warm. It could have been one of those (2018).

Daylight MoT: WTF? Perhaps he knew about the white light on the numberplate requirement that has come in.

Anyway...you did well to walk. If it wasn't for the fact that Long Distance Trials are a real thing for me now, I wouldn't have a two-stroke.

If I were you, I'd look for an AJP. Light, simple, low seat and vastly under-rated. Or, as mentioned: an Alp.
Richard Simpson Mark II

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... n=at_bikes

the only thing wrong that I can see with this is it's in Lincolnshire, which is a long way from South Wales.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

This caught my eye...no idea if they get a good review...a Fantic Casa 250...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175081111052 ... SwJy1hx0Wz
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for the reply, Richard.. some good advice there.. it was indeed a 2018 and did seem to rattle and vibrate alarmingly, and the guy did mention ' bottom end bearings ' and top end bearings ' while giving me a downcast sneaky eye ..

I tried a 200? AJP a few years ago .. its the only bike I felt good on,.. well worth a look !! Cheers!!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Scott_rider wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:01 pm This caught my eye...no idea if they get a good review...a Fantic Casa 250...

Seems a nice bike, Scott, but it needs to be on HP .. a trade deal, ..
Richard Simpson Mark II

I don't know if you ever went riding with a bloke called 'Drifter' back in the day, Gary?

His step-son had a 125 AJP, and it flew along. I went out on an 18th birthday ride that Drifter had organised for his lad (what an 18th...riding around in the mud with a load of old giffers), and if we were the sheep on our KTMs etc, that little AJP was the collie, literally running rings around us , rounding up the strays, going ahead to open the gates, chasing us through, going ahead for the next gate etc.

It just skimmed over what we were crashing into. Fantastic bike. KTM later copied the idea of the underseat fuel cell on the 690 Enduro.

The Fantic looks nice, too...it uses the same engine as the liquid-cooled AJP 250.
Richard Simpson Mark II

garyboy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:09 pm
Scott_rider wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:01 pm This caught my eye...no idea if they get a good review...a Fantic Casa 250...

Seems a nice bike, Scott, but it needs to be on HP .. a trade deal, ..
Gary, you can arrange HP/loan yourself (ie through Autotrader). Or are you after a leasing (rent and hand back) deal?

Return to “BIKES”