BMW F800gt

The Things We Ride
blue bus

BMW F800gt

Post by blue bus »

well as above you got one or had one ,the one i going to look at 11k on clock reports seem to be good dont want to be a pain asking for more advice thank you in advance :?:
scooby

Re: BMW F800gt

Post by scooby »

Hi, i havnt had an 800gt but i have an F800R which is the same engine and frame etc the main difference being mine is chain rather than belt driven and i find it really a good fun bike very cheap to run and you can potter on it or ride it like you stole it, mine has 43000 miles on it and still go's well, i think the GT would be similar but better for longer distance.
Hope this helps.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I had an 800s and then a 800gs, main issue (for me) is flaking engine paint! started to bubble in one place on the S and when I sold my gs at 40,000 miles it had started to flake off the back of the engine, bike was always covered in ACF50 and was immaculate.
Had the rear hub bearing go on the S (belt drive) the original chain on the GS is crap, headlight lens scorches, original bulbs! 2 x Lambda sensors, front brake discs loose as hell on bobbins, new steering head bearings required every 12,000 miles, some of these issues may not be relevant to you?

I now ride a Yamaha :D
berin

Post by berin »

blue bus wrote:well as above you got one or had one ,the one i going to look at 11k on clock reports seem to be good dont want to be a pain asking for more advice thank you in advance :?:
Mrs Berin had an F800GT as a commuter bike. It was a 2014 model and we sold it last year with 70k miles on the clock for £2500.

It was still in excellent condition, the most obvious signs of the miles were front forks which just suffered stone chips on the lowers.

It had no corrosion anywhere, everything worked, and it never let her down.

Caveats:

It was serviced by either BMW or an independent exactly on schedule.

Every winter I thoroughly cleaned it, and then gave it a good ACF treatment

It had 3 new belts. One of the major services was quite expensive at £800 odd.

Not the most exciting bike in the world, but very competent and reliable. When we sold it (only due to not being needed anymore due to Covid) it was running well, not using oil, and everything worked. I’m sure that the new owners will get another 30k out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

thank you boys good of you :)
Womble

Post by Womble »

I had an F800GT for the last 4 years, recently changed for a Himalayan. GT is a great bike for single rider touring and commuting, does everything well, lovely smooth drive train, economical. Downsides are the standard seat is a PITA, much better with air hawk or comfort seat (I have one for sale :)). I also benefitted from fitting bar risers, hugger and an MRA screen, lots of people moan about the standard screen, I found it OK.

Will bimble or fly depending how you choose to ride it :)

Managed 24000 trouble free miles
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

got one today
berin

Post by berin »

blue bus wrote:got one today
Good choice

berin

Post by berin »

Do you need a tank bag for it? I have one surplus to requirements, it’s the BMW one specifically for this bike.

blue bus

Post by blue bus »

hi ya berin have just tried to message you but dont think it has worked ,could you message me or i will get grandson to sort it, computers hate me

Return to “BIKES”