more fat birds to choose from.

The Things We Ride
richardbd

Re: more fat birds to choose from.

Post by richardbd »

Scott_rider wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:58 pm In my part of the world (the north west bit of the south east) it’s virtually impossible to ride at the speeds we used to due to the sheer volume of traffic that seems to get heavier every year. I reckon that has contributed to a lot of riders switching from sports bikes, me included.
That and the fact that most blokes in their mid 50s can’t hack more than an hour curled up like a newborn baby on a bike sized for a race jockey :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Scott_rider wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:58 pm In my part of the world (the north west bit of the south east) it’s virtually impossible to ride at the speeds we used to due to the sheer volume of traffic that seems to get heavier every year. I reckon that has contributed to a lot of riders switching from sports bikes, me included.
Yeah that's very true. Sports bikes require speed for them to function best and for the weight to be taken off the rider's wrists. So they suck you into riding faster. Having ridden Bimotas/GSXRs/Fireblades etc at low speeds through the congested streets of Bologna/Florence/Rome etc, I know how awful it can be at the end of a hot day to ride at below 50kmh for an hour in leathers looking for a hotel room. An ADV is much better suited to that particular bit of the ride.

And like you say, Scott, traffic volumes in some places have made sports bikes almost pointless. The cool factor does decrease markedly in those circumstances, a bit like a grey-haired bloke sitting in his Ferrari in a nose-to-tail queue! At least us bikers get to filter.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

OnHellas wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:23 pm

I don’t think I have. A roughty toughty GS with aluminium panniers….add TKC80s, some stickers and dirt……take it to the ABR festival…..cool.

Just because you don’t think so doesn’t make it not so. Coolness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Funny how tastes differ, to me that is about the most un-cool combination I can imagine (or are you being Ironic?)
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Seminole wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:55 am
OnHellas wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:23 pm

I don’t think I have. A roughty toughty GS with aluminium panniers….add TKC80s, some stickers and dirt……take it to the ABR festival…..cool.

Just because you don’t think so doesn’t make it not so. Coolness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Funny how tastes differ, to me that is about the most un-cool combination I can imagine (or are you being Ironic?)
I don’t find that look cool either, I was alluding to the fact that many do.

I thought the my F800GS with a Ural sidecar looked good but I’m not sure if I qualify to say what is cool and what is not. I buy 99% of my clothes from Rohan after all !!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OnHellas wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:15 am I’m not sure if I qualify to say what is cool and what is not. I buy 99% of my clothes from Rohan after all !!
When I'm driving along and Tracie tells me I'm in the wrong gear, she doesn't usually mean 4th rather than 5th...
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

mark vb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:43 pm
OnHellas wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:45 pm However, a 916 is still waaaayyyy better looking than any GS could ever be.
I agree with regard to modern GS's, they are all truly fugly bugly. But an original G/S 80 I would say is way better looking than a 916.... for me, anyway!
Have you tried Specsavers?
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

bikenav wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:29 pm https://www.1000ps.at/modellnews-300870 ... -5-und-9-5
3_4ANTDX.jpg
I guess it's something to do with MV once belonging to Cagiva- who back in the day did some big adventure bikes called ' Lucky explorer' there was a650 and a 750 , based on Ducati V twins, with some success in the Dakar . This was in the days before ' Adventure bikes' became so popular. Now that they are popular , looks like 'upstairs' decided to resurrect the Lucky explorer brand.

A bit like this then.....https://scenic.app/eicma-2021-what-to-expect%E2%80%A8/
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

steve the grease wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:23 pm
bikenav wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:29 pm https://www.1000ps.at/modellnews-300870 ... -5-und-9-5
3_4ANTDX.jpg
I guess it's something to do with MV once belonging to Cagiva- who back in the day did some big adventure bikes called ' Lucky explorer' there was a650 and a 750 , based on Ducati V twins, with some success in the Dakar . This was in the days before ' Adventure bikes' became so popular. Now that they are popular , looks like 'upstairs' decided to resurrect the Lucky explorer brand.

A bit like this then.....https://scenic.app/eicma-2021-what-to-expect%E2%80%A8/
That's exactly what they've done Steve. But it's a rather tenuous link for the modern day MV !

I used to shag 18 year olds once, but it hasn't happened for a fair while... :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

(Well sometimes it was more than once actually, but that's not the point....)

PLEASE someone get us back to the subject !

Return to “BIKES”