150k on my old lady GS1200 now

The Things We Ride
bikenav

150k on my old lady GS1200 now

Post by bikenav »

My old 05 GS1200 went past the 150,000 mile mark last week and fittingly it occured right at the end of a cracking series of trails in the Burgos region of Northern Spain, as I did for 100k miles and 200k km here are some things that have been changed since the last milestone this is just out of my head so may have missed some minor's
FinalDrive rebuild all bearings and seals, this did'nt do 18 months since last build think I posted pics so wont say anymore
Front wheel bearings originals finally gave in Polish they were
Dashboard info display portion became unreadable, spit open and found a layer of white powder over the LCD appered to be an electrical component corrosion type break down powder cleaned and rebuilt and still good
Rear shock oil out replaced with used
Rear light unit rubber mounts failed, rubber fatigue, replaced with used
Seat cover cracked and degraded quickly.wore through near the base, a big part of this is I wear SIDI crossfire MX boots mainly plastic and very aggresive at all contact points with the bike but my ankles are good.
Rear brake master cylinder second one, sticking on replaced with used
Throttle cables
rear paralever pivot bearings and boot
sidestand foot worn through replaced with home made and return spring went weak and bouncing to ground over bumps replaced new
sumpguard mounts replaced with non OE and saftey wired
swingarm bearings
original clutch finaly, changed plate only for a kevlar one this probably because of the slave cylinder/box seal leading to oil on the plate

most of the the last 25,000 miles since the last associated report the bike was my main means of transport in all weathers all year with lots of trail use too. All maintenance done by myself as an amateur
DSCN0061.JPG
DSCN0061.JPG (151.38 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
heres the lady old but still fun
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: 150k on my old lady GS1200 now

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Good effort...I wonder if any of the new ones will last as long?
jasext

Post by jasext »

Fair play mate she served you well, Many more happy miles or is she going into retirement for the new girl to come out ?
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

jasext wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:29 pm Fair play mate she served you well, Many more happy miles or is she going into retirement for the new girl to come out ?
the yellow one is here and now used as a roadbike, made sense to have one for each type of riding and need the redundancy , the future may not be GS for me, as much as I still enjoy riding them both dirt and tar, my body is asking me why 200kg+ and I spend most time riding less than 60mph have less money and more time = something else. Just done 13 days round Spain the majority of the time spent non tarmac the bike is brilliant for low speed/ low tech trail touring, if your thinking of the orange rocket I once owned it went to someone who might enjoy it.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Just seen this Paul. It’s always a bit sad to retire a bike I think - sold my 1100gs after 180K miles.
I’m thinking of getting rid of the 1200 now, only 60K but a long trip is beckoning so a T7 might be on the cards.
Keep us posted about any further purchases.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Flipflop :D No real plans to retire the old blue lady but intend softening the load a bit, dont think anyone else would want to take up ownership anyway. :( End of last year I dropped it under the water on an awkward slab rock crossing, no engine issues but the clocks getting submerged is causing a few pouts the mileage is now alternating between all the 9's or 0's, the fuel guage scale is a bit of a lottery, the temp guage starts at halfway, all the red error lights are on including the ABS its never had ABS so thats comical, other than a collapsed paralever bearing which a replacement came in the post today all is good with the going forward bits though.
A T7 good choice for you I would suggest your size being a big advantage, from what I can see on their wheels a very hard bike to beat, I suspect for me just too top heavy and a pig to lift from the ground as a wobbly soloist inclined to do a little horizontal parking in awkward spots, if I were regularly group riding I would possibly reconsider, most serious boys round here are on lightweight tools or 701'ers. If your down my way let me know I'll show you around a trail or just a cafe. Saw you mention Llanidloes someplace.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

That’s one of the great things about a GS - loads of little things can go wrong but they still keep going :)

Yes must get over to Wales some time this summer - only seem to go through it to get to Ireland; and it does look extremely nice.

Return to “BIKES”