First Ride on the MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

First Ride on the MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Post by daveuprite »

Wow! Just Wow! Just back from the first ride. Several hours of cruising and a bit of hooning.

I honestly had no idea that an upright(ish), flat-bar street bike could be so awesome. The finest road bike I've ever ridden, without doubt.

Absolutely everything is superlative. Brakes (incredible), suspension from another planet, steering geometry beautiful, instant 'just think about it' turn-in, utterly planted, SO stable, torque in bucket loads and a massive top-end rush as good as any pure sportsbike I've ever ridden.

The engine reminds me of the blueprinted GSXR1100 motor in my Bimota SB6R, but with the turbine-like thrust of my 2005 ZX10R. You can pootle through a village at 45kmh in top gear (yes 6th!), at 3000 revs, and then as you pass the exit sign you don't have to change down - you just get enormous brutal thrust with not a glitch or a stutter even on a fully open throttle - and just a few seconds later you're at 180kmh and about to enter the top-end rush zone (which only ends at 165mph - apparently). It feels like the throttle hand is connected directly to the rear tyre's contact patch and you just get hurtled forward as if on the end of a giant elastic band.

This bike gobbles up corners and tempts you to enter later and faster each time. The front end is like the princess and the pea - you feel every little ripple and every stone/crack is communicated to the rider. If you want a soft and leisurely ride, completely insulated from the road surface, this is not for you. It's busy and really involving.

The multi-function clocks are a mystery. There's some modes and 10-stage traction control hidden in there somewhere, but I just left it in 'Sport'. I'll have to study the manual I suppose. Not sure what the fuel consumption came to exactly but it's not exactly a miser. Did about 300kms on a tank that cost 30 Euros to fill. It even has a pretty comfortable seat. I'd tour it to Southern Italy tomorrow, no question.

I know that all sounds a bit like a 1980s MCN bike journo having an orgasm, but I swear I'm not exaggerating. This bike is truly extraordinary.

Cornishman

Re: First Ride on the MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Post by Cornishman »

It was a good move to go out today, have you seen the forecast for the next few days? On top of all that rider feedback stuff it’s a great looking bike too. My new bike can’t compete with any of that but today it averaged 2.8 litres:100km which is over 100mpg so I’d still stand a chance at Top Trumps.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm

The engine reminds me of the blueprinted GSXR1100 motor in my Bimota SB6R, but with the turbine-like thrust of my 2005 ZX10R. You can pootle through a village at 45kmh in top gear (yes 6th!), at 3000 revs, and then as you pass the exit sign you don't have to change down - you just get enormous brutal thrust with not a glitch or a stutter even on a fully open throttle - and just a few seconds later you're at 180kmh and about to enter the top-end rush zone (which only ends at 165mph - apparently).
That sounds like my kind of engine 8-) . Nice one 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Scott_rider wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:23 pm
daveuprite wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm

The engine reminds me of the blueprinted GSXR1100 motor in my Bimota SB6R, but with the turbine-like thrust of my 2005 ZX10R. You can pootle through a village at 45kmh in top gear (yes 6th!), at 3000 revs, and then as you pass the exit sign you don't have to change down - you just get enormous brutal thrust with not a glitch or a stutter even on a fully open throttle - and just a few seconds later you're at 180kmh and about to enter the top-end rush zone (which only ends at 165mph - apparently).
That sounds like my kind of engine 8-) . Nice one 8-) .
It really is a special bike. Basically it's you on top of an engine with a great frame, suspension and brakes. Nothing more. OK it's very well finished and put together but fundamentally you sit atop a very powerful turbine of an engine and go from there. Love it.

It's also a pretty thing IMO...

Return to “BIKES”