Touring bike

The Things We Ride
Cornishman

Re: Touring bike

Post by Cornishman »

As a tourer I wouldn’t have swapped my Pan European. Like some of the others it was heavy at a standstill but once rolling it was a real delight.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

How about a CBF1000..."one of the unsung heroes of modern motorcycling" according to MCN...and relatively cheap. I had one and went round Spain on it and to Croatia and back. Super smooth, silky de-tuned Fireblade engine with bags of torque (but they lobbed off the top end rush, which I missed).

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... 1000/2006/
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Mmm, I was going to suggest a CBF. I had one too when I first moved to France. Exactly as Scott says, but I certainly did miss the missing top end, which Honda just lobotomized off the Fireblade engine. But if you are a change up the box early kind of rider, it is ideal, and just as good as a VFR. They are usually treated quite well by owners too and can stand high mileages. About 210 kilos I think...
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 am Mmm, I was going to suggest a CBF. I had one too when I first moved to France. Exactly as Scott says, but I certainly did miss the missing top end, which Honda just lobotomized off the Fireblade engine. But if you are a change up the box early kind of rider, it is ideal, and just as good as a VFR. They are usually treated quite well by owners too and can stand high mileages. About 210 kilos I think...
Yes looks like a good shout and good value , decisions decisions!!!
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Got plenty of time to research today as sitting in the house which is unheard of for me , I had my covid booster and flu jab yesterday and it feels like walking through treacle and have a mingin headache, so research it is :D
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

If speed isn't important then a honda 700 deauville is excellent and cheap as chips with shaft drive... Once rode the 650cc version down to Milan and back with zero problems... Comfort too... After all most of Europe has speed restrictions now...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

ZRX1200S ??

I had the Eddie Lawson Replica one, which just has the small handlebar fairing, but there is a half-full-fairing model - the ZRX1200S. Engine is very strong (similar to ZZR1200), it handles fairly well for a muscle bike and it's all day comfortable.

I took my ZRX down to the Mugello MotoGP one time, took in loads of alpine passes on the way. It did well, loaded up with stuff too.

But the 1050ST Sprint is probably a better sports tourer, frankly...
Hall

Post by Hall »

FZSFazer 1000 cheap as chips ,brilliant bike
mine has had a few mods such as R6 rear shock,Ivanised,air filter and end can and just short of 140 bhp at the rear wheelie :o
Aka "jkay"
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Hall wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:50 pm FZSFazer 1000 cheap as chips ,brilliant bike
mine has had a few mods such as R6 rear shock,Ivanised,air filter and end can and just short of 140 bhp at the rear wheelie :o

...and I was going to mention that bike too! I had an '05 Gen 1 with the last of the R1 carb engine. Fantastic bike, slightly lethargic at the low end but once you got up into the top end of the revs it was awesome. Probably a genuine 140bhp engine rather than the R1's 170bhp version. I toured Spain and also did a self-guided touir of the Dolomites on it (1,800 miles in 5 days on that trip :o ). We now refer to it not as the "The Dolomites Tour" but as "The Dolomites Race"... :oops: :lol:

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Look Bob! The perfect tourer. A gentle turn of speed. It even has panniers. And much lighter than your FJR.

Go on - you know it makes sense....

Return to “BIKES”