Enfield 650 Adv?

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: Enfield 650 Adv?

Post by Tonibe63 »

I managed to get a Tec cam from the first batch and have done 1200 miles with it fitted along with a booster plug on a 6k mile Euro 4 bike. The headline figure of 20% increase in power sounds great but the reality is it is only 5bhp which isn't going to be armwrenching. Having said that it is noticeable in the midrange and it definitely makes the bike more enjoyable to ride, to me the £200 was worth spending.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Hitchcocks do various parts, big bores etc

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... ccessories
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:13 am Sorry to hear that...they generally seem to have a good rep and hold their value on the used market.

What was wrong with it?
first time intake sensor , second cut out on a very busy road bad earth, third faulty coil
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I see at the beginning of Nathan’s video he says about a relay being the fault that left him stranded at the side of a dangerous road corner with no power. He mentions to take a spare with you….
How many spares does someone need to carry these days? 😂
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Godspeed wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:26 pm I see at the beginning of Nathan’s video he says about a relay being the fault that left him stranded at the side of a dangerous road corner with no power. He mentions to take a spare with you….
How many spares does someone need to carry these days? 😂
Good point there Chris, I recently had trouble with my husqvarna with a hair line crack in a fuse and it refused to start. Thought the problem was something else as I never spotted it. Old matey boy told me when bikes get to a certain age it's best to change all the fuses as matter of course. Suppose there cheap anyways.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I owned a Royal Enfield Himalayan and it was an amazing bike for the money but with pannier frames and a full tank weighed in at 199kg and 24.5 bhp. The figures do not really tell the whole story as the power delivery was so friendly and the handling off road was much better than i gave it credit for. Very much like my old Harley Davidson MT350 which tackled everything i could throw at it with ease and poise. The Himalayan can be improved with a Hitchcocks or TEC cam,freeflow air filter and enlarged airbox intake plate and a Lextec exhaust can. This can be done cheaply and gain about 20% power from the engine. I now have a Honda CRF250 rally which is around 40kg lighter and around the same power output. I also own a Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor and have seen various scrambler conversion kits which i imagine how the eventual production bike from Royal Enfield may look like. 47 BHP and around 210kg makes it a better compromise for many as an occasional light off roader and much better touring bike. I have seen a couple of people off roading an Interceptor with suitable block pattern tyres and raised front mudguard and they aquitted themselves very well off road. It has a very economical friendly engine with most of it,s torque produced around 4000 rpm with a well spaced six speed gearbox. The handlebars are already a kind of off road pattern and with a set of bar risers would be just about right. I would sell my Interceptor and Honda CRF 250 rally if Royal Enfield brought out a 650 scrambler. You can loose 12 kg from the Interceptor with just a change of exhaust cans and downpipes. A lithium battery and loosing the mudguard extensions another 2-4kg The Euro 4 bike has an ECU that will alter the fuelling parameters for minr mods like aftermarket exhausts and freeflow airfilter and you can gain 3-5 bhp easily. There is already an 865 cc big bore kit from Hitchcocks with a power commander ready mapped and you have a Triumph scrambler beater after modifications still coming in a lot cheaper. I love my Royal Enfields now and the company is going from strength to strength.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I really want to like the Himi, but can't get my head around a bike that has less power than a 250 trail bike and weighs the same as a 950 Adventure bike, yet still seems a bit structurally fragile.
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

just to let you people know after complaining about the waiting time for recover of my interceptor ,i had a phone call today saying how sorry they were , and would i mind if they set me some wine nice touch cheers
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I wouldn’t describe the Himalayan as structurally fragile, it was built to be ridden in the Himalayans and people have been using them in very harsh conditions. You need to test ride a Himalayan to see if it is your sort of bike as the figures don’t really explain it. It is definitely a good all rounder, capable of going off road, great for touring on little back roads, an excellent commuter and just about capable of doing long motorway days if you really have to.
Enfield just seem to be getting better and better, I test rode a Meteor the other day and that is another bike that the figures don’t do justice too. The engine feels stronger than the Himalayan and it felt quicker accelerating but did feel like it had hit a wall at 70. It is a shame that the reports I have read indicate it is less economical than the Himalayan.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:33 am I really want to like the Himi, but can't get my head around a bike that has less power than a 250 trail bike and weighs the same as a 950 Adventure bike, yet still seems a bit structurally fragile.
You don't need to get your head around it you just need to get your @rse on the seat and ride it. Once you realise that speed lost during braking takes a long time to recover you adopt a new riding style of "keep it pinned and ride the bends" instead of point/squirt/brake of a bigger bike.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”