New nice Moto Guzzi with classic design
bild_2021-10-21_071554.png
bild_2021-10-21_071554.png (426.29 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Almost 50 years difference.
Classic design.
Swap to chromed fenders.
Polish front forks.

And we are back 50 years in look.
But top modern with EFI, ABS, modern clutch, gearbox ....

Wonderful touring bike.
daveuprite

Re: Moto Guzzi Nostalgia

Post by daveuprite »

Something puzzles me a bit about all these retros. If there is such a yearning amongst buyers to recreate bike designs of the 60s/70s/80s - which there certainly is - why not just build a brand new replica? Why have any visual difference at all? OK I completely get that the engine, fuelling and exhaust must conform to modern emissions standards - which necessitates things like FI, catalytic converters etc - so those elements will inevitably be a bit different. And we all want brakes that work, so modern discs/calipers too. But you could then build everything else pretty much identical to the original - if that's what buyers want. Look at those two Guzzis. The original bike is lovely, and I don't have any problem with the new bike either, but it has quite a few visual differences to the original, when they could have just replicated the tank, side panels, mudguards etc and they could have put the front disc on the same side etc. Erik has already said that if he bought the new bike he might polish the front forks and chrome the mudguards to get the old look back. So why did Guzzi make it look different at all?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Cost, maybe?

And the new bike lacks the lovely natural ally 'rough cast' engine. That's one of the best things about the 'new' Enfield 650's visuals...the engine looks like a 1970s British or Italian engine in the metal. No paint or lacquer.

I'd love a go on one of those new Guzzi 850s...but given their engine is based on the small-block V-twin from the mid 1970s, they do seem a bit expensive.
Richard Simpson Mark II

IIRC the mudguards on the original are stainless steel, not chrome. Contrary to what you hear, Guzzis back in the day were far better finished than the Japanese bikes of the time.
moto al

Post by moto al »

in the 70s guzzi,s had rubbish electrics
moto al
Richard Simpson Mark II

Not my experience...and I worked in a Guzzi dealer at the time. If you wanted to use the bike through winter, you just needed to squirt some WD40 into the switches once a week.

Japanese bikes of the time had terrible electrics, with HT leads breaking down and shorting out in the rain. The HT leads were an integral part of the coil so no 'fix' was possible other than to replace the lot in the knowledge that it would fail again in a year.

MG quality declined when the V50 appeared...that was built with very poor materials, but the big twins were bullet-proof: bear in mind that the powertrain was originally designed for a military tractor.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Looks nice 8-) . I've always liked the 1200 sport...but tales of chocolate valves always put me off getting one...

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Hmmm i worked for a Guzzi dealer in the 80s -90s and tbh they were not great. Some wouldn’t even start on handover to new owners, remember a later california version, was only fit for scrap unless you were very lucky and was built by someone who cared. :))
Dont get me going on the Laverdas:))
Richard Simpson Mark II

It had all gone downhill by then...the dead hand of Piagio.

De Tommasso had his faults, but he kept Guzzi and Benelli going...largely using 'influence'. Not a man you'd want to cross.
PeteDuke

Post by PeteDuke »

I am serious looking at getting the V7 I really like it and it suits my height and ever increasing years, and as for my last ever bike it will do me nicely.

As for Italian electrics, in the early 80's I had a Moto Morini 3 1/2 well if I was riding that in the rain and turned the indicators is was pot luck what would happen, some say interesting other said bloody dangerous.

Return to “BIKES”