the new APRILIA TUAREG 660

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: the new APRILIA TUAREG 660

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There was a couple who rode their Triumph Tiger from UK to Australia and did the inevitable blog...at one point the bike fell over, and the speedo broke.
No speedo...no engine start. They were stranded. Scary!
I also read that those trendy TFT screens are prone to cracking. I suspect that they are something that the motorcycle industry 'found' in use elsewhere, and were never really developed for what in reality is an arduous outdoor environment.
Simple = good. I suspect that this simplicity may actually be one of the reasons why the Yam T7 and the Royal Enfield 650s are enjoying run-away sales success.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I totally agree that simple=good.

However, for every tech laden bike that has a potentially trip stopping issue there are 10’s of thousands that will never go on that trip.

Power modes, TFT screens, quick shifters, electronically adjustable suspension…..all of these things sell bikes.

I don’t want all of those things but it appears in the future we may have no choice if a new bike takes your fancy.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers came up with some way of offering 'Simple' mode? What i mean is equip the bike with all the tech for those who want it, but when the rider wants the bike simplified to offer just the basics, you can easily disable a whole raft of the loom/CAN functions that could otherwise go wrong. As an electrical moron, I haven't the foggiest how that might work, but just an idea.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 am Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers came up with some way of offering 'Simple' mode? What i mean is equip the bike with all the tech for those who want it, but when the rider wants the bike simplified to offer just the basics, you can easily disable a whole raft of the loom/CAN functions that could otherwise go wrong. As an electrical moron, I haven't the foggiest how that might work, but just an idea.
My parents managed to select ‘simple’ mode…
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OnHellas wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:33 am
daveuprite wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 am Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers came up with some way of offering 'Simple' mode? What i mean is equip the bike with all the tech for those who want it, but when the rider wants the bike simplified to offer just the basics, you can easily disable a whole raft of the loom/CAN functions that could otherwise go wrong. As an electrical moron, I haven't the foggiest how that might work, but just an idea.
My parents managed to select ‘simple’ mode…
:lol: :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

OnHellas wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:44 am I totally agree that simple=good.

However, for every tech laden bike that has a potentially trip stopping issue there are 10’s of thousands that will never go on that trip.

Power modes, TFT screens, quick shifters, electronically adjustable suspension…..all of these things sell bikes.

I don’t want all of those things but it appears in the future we may have no choice if a new bike takes your fancy.
So much of this stuff is pointless....I'm told the new KTM 690 Enduro has a quickshifter....in the name of God, why? Even proper enduro bikes don't have quickshfters. If it goes wrong, it disables the bike. How good is that?

(not very)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:26 am
OnHellas wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:44 am I totally agree that simple=good.

So much of this stuff is pointless....I'm told the new KTM 690 Enduro has a quickshifter....in the name of God, why? Even proper enduro bikes don't have quickshfters. If it goes wrong, it disables the bike. How good is that?

(not very)
Yeah I can't see the point of a quickshifter on anything but a sports bike that you might want to use on track. However they are good fun to play with - although the novelty wears off after a while. If you think you really really need the fastest possible upshifts then it would have been an idea to buy a faster bike in the first place! Reminds me of someone I met at Snetterton once who had put a turbo on an R6. For far less money than the bike and the engine/exhaust/turbo work cost he could have bought an R1 in the first place. But he was very happy to own probably the only R6 Turbo in the country...
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Never mind the electrickery, it doesn't even have a chain guide!
Richard Simpson Mark II

If you are riding on the dirt and want to put a quick change in you just flick the lever...no need for a quickshifter. If there was mx and 'proper' enduro bikes would have them
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Looks flexy

Return to “BIKES”