the new APRILIA TUAREG 660

The Things We Ride
AlanHolt

Re: the new APRILIA TUAREG 660

Post by AlanHolt »

I had a test ride on a KTM 790 Adventure R last weekend, to see how it compared to my KTM 640 Adventure. Theres no doubt the 790 has a more comfortable seat, but thats the only positive I found. Electronic this and that, riding modes for those who can't control their riding style themselves etc, etc. But the real deal breaker was the wind noise and buffeting I had on the 790. I know i'm biased as I have a 640, but since its launch, there hasn't been another bike that offers the RTW ability along with the repair anywhere simplicity that the 640 offers. And it seems that the manufacturers try to create a new version of the 640 from time to time, but they miss that raw simplicity and all terrain ability that it has. The 640 is now my daily commuter and weekend tourer all rolled into one and I can't find anything that will do what it does without huge compromise in one area or another.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

AlanHolt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:14 am I had a test ride on a KTM 790 Adventure R last weekend, to see how it compared to my KTM 640 Adventure. Theres no doubt the 790 has a more comfortable seat, but thats the only positive I found. Electronic this and that, riding modes for those who can't control their riding style themselves etc, etc. But the real deal breaker was the wind noise and buffeting I had on the 790. I know i'm biased as I have a 640, but since its launch, there hasn't been another bike that offers the RTW ability along with the repair anywhere simplicity that the 640 offers. And it seems that the manufacturers try to create a new version of the 640 from time to time, but they miss that raw simplicity and all terrain ability that it has. The 640 is now my daily commuter and weekend tourer all rolled into one and I can't find anything that will do what it does without huge compromise in one area or another.
Completely agree Alan. Plus IMO its still the best looking bike that KTM have produced.

I would still have mine if only the bloody thing hadn't vibrated so badly. :shock: After 30 minutes on the tarmac I couldn't feel my fingers! :o
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Would an AJP PR7 be the nearest modern equivalent?
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:07 am Would an AJP PR7 be the nearest modern equivalent?
I honestly don't know, but I'll look at it more closely over the weekend. Just a summary of the spec of the 640 includes a well designed fairing providing good wind protection, 31 litre fuel tank, crush drive rear wheel, designed to take a pillion, hard luggage, fully adjustable WP suspension etc,etc. My bike is 19 years old, it's on its original wheels and spokes. About to have its 2nd chain and sprocket kit put on. It's a joy to own and ride, I'm just worried about the limited number of parts that are available for an old bike
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Crossrutted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:57 am
AlanHolt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:14 am I had a test ride on a KTM 790 Adventure R last weekend, to see how it compared to my KTM 640 Adventure. Theres no doubt the 790 has a more comfortable seat, but thats the only positive I found. Electronic this and that, riding modes for those who can't control their riding style themselves etc, etc. But the real deal breaker was the wind noise and buffeting I had on the 790. I know i'm biased as I have a 640, but since its launch, there hasn't been another bike that offers the RTW ability along with the repair anywhere simplicity that the 640 offers. And it seems that the manufacturers try to create a new version of the 640 from time to time, but they miss that raw simplicity and all terrain ability that it has. The 640 is now my daily commuter and weekend tourer all rolled into one and I can't find anything that will do what it does without huge compromise in one area or another.
Completely agree Alan. Plus IMO its still the best looking bike that KTM have produced.

I would still have mine if only the bloody thing hadn't vibrated so badly. :shock: After 30 minutes on the tarmac I couldn't feel my fingers! :o
I do 2hrs each way on tarmac every weekend, and I could also do 10 hours a day in Spain without any issue. The seat needs replacing as the foam doesn't support me and the cover is ripped, but I'm riding it from Yorkshire to Catalonia next month, and then back to Yorkshire once I've done what I have to do in Spain. I'd say you had a bad one.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

AlanHolt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:16 pm
Crossrutted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:57 am

I do 2hrs each way on tarmac every weekend, and I could also do 10 hours a day in Spain without any issue. The seat needs replacing as the foam doesn't support me and the cover is ripped, but I'm riding it from Yorkshire to Catalonia next month, and then back to Yorkshire once I've done what I have to do in Spain. I'd say you had a bad one.

I I I I'd s s s ay y y y you h h had d d a ba ba ba bad ddd on n n ne
dave h

Post by dave h »

i like my 790 r ,

i like the electronics on it,

i paid extra for the quickshifter is wonderful,[believe it or not you can shift gear quicker up or down]

i ride it in the winter on tarmac with knobblies when the government let us out these days,
the traction control helps temper my ham-fistedness and that lovely ktm aggressive power delivery [saved me at least twice last winter]

I'm sure some can brake better and safer than the cornering abs my bike has but for now its on,

you either buy into it or you don't but it does work,

dave.
Mike Wrights

Post by Mike Wrights »

dave h wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:17 pm i like my 790 r ,

i paid extra for the quickshifter is wonderful,[believe it or not you can shift gear quicker up or down]

i ride it in the winter on tarmac with knobblies when the government let us out these days,
the traction control helps temper my ham-fistedness and that lovely ktm aggressive power delivery [saved me at least twice last winter]

I'm sure some can brake better and safer than the cornering abs my bike has but for now its on,

dave.
The KTM quickshifter is superb and very smooth shifting as I have one on my 1290. Yamaha make great bikes although the power of the KTM is hard to equal. After my last poor experience with Yamaha UK I stopped buying them.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

dave h wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:17 pm i like my 790 r ,

dave.
I enjoyed riding the 790, loved the gadgets and how they worked (on the road), but as a long-distance and serious adventure bike, it simply wasn't as good overall as my 640. The 640 has to be replaced due to its age, but throwing gadgets on a bike doesn't make it a better replacement. Adventure bikes these days tend to be tall touring bikes with off-road looks and average off-road ability, which suits most adventure riders needs. I need a bike that will go where an EXC can go, can carry a pillion and hard luggage, and is comfortable doing motorway speeds, and its the last part where the 790 failed to shine. And thats not an impossible bike to create, the 640 has proved that. The best option seems to be to invest €2300 in an Aurora rally kit to provide the necessary wind protection for the high speed stuff, which then makes a 2 year old 790 R worth around 12k, which is mad when you can get a new 890 for the same money, but that would also fail to provide long-distance high speed wind protection.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

AlanHolt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:44 pm
I need a bike that will go where an EXC can go, can carry a pillion and hard luggage, and is comfortable doing motorway speeds, and its the last part where the 790 failed to shine. And thats not an impossible bike to create, the 640 has proved that. The best option seems to be to invest €2300 in an Aurora rally kit to provide the necessary wind protection for the high speed stuff, which then makes a 2 year old 790 R worth around 12k, which is mad when you can get a new 890 for the same money, but that would also fail to provide long-distance high speed wind protection.
Are you saying the 640 is comfortable at M/way speeds and the 790 isn't. I'm no fan of riding on M/ways and mostly avoid them on bikes altogether but I was never comfortable in traffic on our 640 Adv as it was always hard work to keep a constant 70mph + and then there was a lack of acceleration beyond that which made overtaking anything around 70mph risky if they gained speed.

I like the fact that you really like your 640 but it was created in an era when Dakar bikes needed to carry a lot of fuel, the by-product of that is great weather protection on a dirt orientated bike. If you put 32l tanks on a modern rally rep bike you'd be laughed out of the showroom.

We've now sold the 640 ADV but I still have the BMW Dakar and am in the same place as you were I really don't think another bike has come along to replace it. The Husky 701LR might have done so but it needs pillion pegs and something more up front to hide behind.

Return to “BIKES”