the bike that saved BMW

Post by moto al »

IMG_E2464.JPG
IMG_E2464.JPG (111.86 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
moto al
Billy Bananahead

Re: the bike that saved BMW

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I had one of the very first rides on one, even before they went on sale, though i was only a pillion.
Back then i used to work on a milk round and had an old DT175 which i used to ride to work at about 4 o'clock in the morning.
One morning the bike packed up on me and so i left it at the side of the road and started walking, helmet in hand. Next minute, a test rider from MCN pulled up and told me what he was doing and asked me if he could give me lift. Was better than walking 5 miles at 4 in the morning and that was how i helped test ride a pre-release K100. :roll: :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I went on the K75 press launch.
The BMW man said it was the end for the long-serving flat twin.
He also said that the high-performance 4-cylinder Japanese 750s then appearing on the market, had been conceived by a 'mad sate of mind' and BMW would never be so irresponsible as to offer such high-performance machines to the public.
With hindsight, he could not have been more wrong!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Good story, Banana.

My local dealer was Taplow SGT Superbikes in the Thames Valley. They stocked all the new Kawasakis and the new BMW K-range. I remember the launch of the GPZ600R pretty much coincided with the K100 coming out. I eventually rode both, but being a sports bike fan I found the GPZ exciting (well it did almost start the supersport class) and the K-bike deadly dull and top-heavy. But the RS still looks really good, styling-wise, even today I reckon.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Yep, I had one too - a brand new, silver K100 in 1985, on a 1st August C-plate. Had to sell my trusty old MG Midget and CB750FB to afford it. It took me down to the Med. and over to Corsica etc. and was a real mile muncher 2-up. But ultimately for me it was just too uncharacterful, too efficient and too clinical. Wish I'd got a PD 80G/S instead! Sold it to a guy named Dwayne (or maybe Duane?) 🤨

Return to “BIKES”