Good, I will keep the ones, I already have

New bikes are shite, anyway
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Sale of petrol motorcycles to be banned by 2035 at the latest

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:17 pm Good, I will keep the ones, I already have

I wonder at what point there won't be enough petrol stations to keep our existing bikes on the road? probably not for a long while however it will happen once it becomes too expensive to keep them open for so few petrol customers.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Elmer J Fudd wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:17 pm Good, I will keep the ones, I already have

I wonder at what point there won't be enough petrol stations to keep our existing bikes on the road? probably not for a long while however it will happen once it becomes too expensive to keep them open for so few petrol customers.
That’s the bigger worry
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

Mmmmmm ... on the one hand you cannot deny that there is a real weather issue happening and its not good ... Germany and others plus the crazy heat in Nth America and the disappearing Artic makes you shudder!

On the other hand ... there are cities in China that hardly any Westerners will have heard of that spew out more C02 and pollution than every car on the planet (best of luck getting China to do anything about them) and then India and its development, the Amazon and de-forestation that goes on unabated ... if that lot alone was sorted then your Astra would be fine.

Here is a vision that I could see playing out ... ordinary Tom, Dick and Harry will either be priced off the road by scrapping his/her car and no chance of affording a new electric car for years ... or by smashing you with road tolls (as the Goverment replaces its lost fuel duties) ... or even if you can get your tiny little cheapo electric car then in no time the charging stations will take your shirt off your back (they are going satisfy their share holders somehow).

So ... as Caroline Lucas says "getting people out of their cars means you have to have cheap buses and trains, build shops, services and entertainment provision no more than 15 minutes from communities" ... the vision of life for millions will be that, the vast majority of your miserable lives lived by working all week and getting back and to by public transport, a bus trip to the local retail park or actual park with your family and being grateful that you have everything within 15 mins by bus, train or bike ... "SO YOU WON'T NEED CARS"

Meanwhile ... the lovely empty roads become the preserve of the wealthy who can muller their £50,000 Tesla's around at will, can jet off on very expensive trips abroad whilst you throw bread to the ducks in the park (whilst dodging the skanks and druggies lying around the place) ... no freedom of travel for you, no chucking the kids in the car and oof to the seaside for you, no holidays abroad for you ... no pleasure in life that freedom of travel brings for many of us.

Ok ... a bit apocalyptic I know but there will be a lot of angst and social unrest like they have never seen once people actually see their lifes curtailed massively by having personal transport either taken away or by plain unaffordability ... I am glad that I will almost certainly be passed it by then!
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Onenoodles wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:50 pm Mmmmmm ... on the one hand you cannot deny that there is a real weather issue happening and its not good ... Germany and others plus the crazy heat in Nth America and the disappearing Artic makes you shudder!

On the other hand ... there are cities in China that hardly any Westerners will have heard of that spew out more C02 and pollution than every car on the planet (best of luck getting China to do anything about them) and then India and its development, the Amazon and de-forestation that goes on unabated ... if that lot alone was sorted then your Astra would be fine.

Here is a vision that I could see playing out ... ordinary Tom, Dick and Harry will either be priced off the road by scrapping his/her car and no chance of affording a new electric car for years ... or by smashing you with road tolls (as the Goverment replaces its lost fuel duties) ... or even if you can get your tiny little cheapo electric car then in no time the charging stations will take your shirt off your back (they are going satisfy their share holders somehow).

So ... as Caroline Lucas says "getting people out of their cars means you have to have cheap buses and trains, build shops, services and entertainment provision no more than 15 minutes from communities" ... the vision of life for millions will be that, the vast majority of your miserable lives lived by working all week and getting back and to by public transport, a bus trip to the local retail park or actual park with your family and being grateful that you have everything within 15 mins by bus, train or bike ... "SO YOU WON'T NEED CARS"

Meanwhile ... the lovely empty roads become the preserve of the wealthy who can muller their £50,000 Tesla's around at will, can jet off on very expensive trips abroad whilst you throw bread to the ducks in the park (whilst dodging the skanks and druggies lying around the place) ... no freedom of travel for you, no chucking the kids in the car and oof to the seaside for you, no holidays abroad for you ... no pleasure in life that freedom of travel brings for many of us.

Ok ... a bit apocalyptic I know but there will be a lot of angst and social unrest like they have never seen once people actually see their lifes curtailed massively by having personal transport either taken away or by plain unaffordability ... I am glad that I will almost certainly be passed it by then!
I think you're right.

We're seeing restrictions of travel for the Plebs all over - whether it's trying to get to work in your van or out to somewhere sunny for your hols.

Emma Thompson & the like "offset" their travel by paying for a few toilet roll trees to be planted (nowhere near the airports or the people directly affected) and the prices will continue to hike until unaffordable for you & I.

They want a return to the 50's where the likes of us get a train to Margate once a year to get away from working in our local towns....

While all the nice, sunny places become the preserve of the wealthy elite.

And all the time, the plumes of smoke from Africa, India, China and all the other countries that are mining, smelting, manufacturing to provide all these "green" alternatives get thicker and blacker....

Call me pessimistic, but all these "Green" initiatives are rolled out & implemented with no actual plans as to how the infrastructure will be paid for, planned and built. "No ICE Vehicles, Gas Boilers, if you do use them, you'll pay a premium" - but no viable alternative for most of us, we'll all be "fined" for non-compliance, but there wont' be a way for many people to comply .

Who here has seen a plan from their council for the upgrade of local electricity cabling to allow the installation of 30a chargers in every house? In every Lamppost. Crikey, I'd like to see a plan for the petrol stations let alone houses, I'd like to see a plan, a timeline, a cost estimate, get an idea of which streets will be ripped up & when, how much carbon will be released by all the digging work? etc etc....

Surely they'll have to give notice to the overseers of all the mines etc to get the kids ready for their overtime shifts digging up the materials needed to make all these batteries & cables?? (Not our problem mate, we're Green don'cha know)

But dare to ask a few questions & you're a baby murderer......

It makes you larf & larf.....

D
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Oh yes buses. We used to have one to our local big town. I came on Thursdays. If you wanted to get home again, you had 20 minutes to do your shopping.
And there no point us cutting emissions, when no one else is.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Will motorcycles be able to ride to the front of the recharging queue.....
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

:D :D , we seem to be the scapegoat for the rest of the world, we emit a minuscule part of the emissions and its the third world countries that emit the most!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

So by the time they stop producing petrol motorcycles I will be in my 70's and even if I'm still here I won't be buying a new bike anyway ...... so who gives a rats ass.
As for us plebs being 2nd class citizens ..... what's new?
Lockdown and furlough taught me a timely lesson about how much we need to live and how few miles we do when not having to commute, just need to get a job working 3 days a week that is within cycling distance so we don't need 2 cars. Very few car miles are undertaken for pleasure.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”