Another entry to the cut-price mid-weight soft-road market

The Things We Ride
Crossrutted

Re: Another entry to the cut-price mid-weight soft-road market

Post by Crossrutted »

onslowe wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:54 pm I was being facetious.........Covid 19 !
However my MOT tester always slags off Chinese bikes for failing thdid 1st MOT due to poor build quality so I will ask him for a list. Would anyone on here chose Chinese built over Japanese built if price was the same ? Lack of dealers would be the initial problem followed by worries about part supply as the model run might not last long.
Ah I see - I completely missed your drift .

However some people buy Enfields - having worked in both India & China, I'll take the Chinese product over Indian every time.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Crossrutted wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:49 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pm the 'fearsome' Kawa 750 two-stroke triple of the 1970s.
It wasn't the power that made Kawa triples fearsome... more the lack of brakes and handling to get around that (relatively) fast approaching corner!

(and don't forget the excellent grip of 1970's tyres :o )
The engine scared the shit out of most journos of the time, they claimed you could peel potatoes with the razor sharp power band.
Laughable, to those that actually had one, of course.
You must remember that the established journalists of the time were conning from 3TAs with 17 hp, and such like, so 60hp was actually quite a lot.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As a one-time motorcycle journalist I have to say that quite a lot of the copy written was more about what a man the author was than the reality of the bike.
That said: the brakes, tyres and handling of some of those things was pretty poor. I remember the Avon Bike Magazine production championship which saw a Triumph T140V Bonneville (built out of warranty return parts by Bennets of Atherstone) beat all the Japanese 750s and win the 750 class outright. Put it this way, it didn't win on straight-line top speed.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

I bought a Chinese generator a few years back and it actually never started. It just wouldn’t run so ended up running my tank over it and crushing the bloody thing.
Bought some off road pegs for an XADV last week and the build quality is crap and they dont stay up or down.
Buy cheap buy twice and i asked for discount at the local chinese , not happening!
Toe

Post by Toe »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:04 pm Wow, so that's got a KLE engine, which is basically a GPZ500 engine, which was designed in the mid 1980s. It's a 40 year old engine design !

Now does that mean that it's a time-served trusty reliable lump ? Or does it mean that absolutely no effort has gone into the motor and the bike is about as modern as a Ford Sierra?

But it is mighty cheap...
My first bike was an ER-5 which had the same engine too. I'd answer the question with "both" :lol:
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
PeteDuke

Post by PeteDuke »

I really like that Voge 500 and if I could see in the flesh so to speak and it ticks all the boxes will seriously consider.
As for Kawasaki triples. I used to have a KH400, that was the dogs b...... is those days. But handling was something you had to get used to and you had to plan the ride for bends as the brakes were something you had left at home. My commute in those days was Scarborough to Whitby an awesome road along the coast. The KH was a joy to ride on it. But my wallet couldn't stand the cost of the fuel it used. I digress.
I don't have a problem buying far eastern goods if the back up is good. I am also waiting for the Moto Morini Xcape to view.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I've had a couple of the 500 twins and they were great value. Note that this Vogue is Euro 5--I had a look at one at the Overland event a couple of years ago and was very impressed with the finish and package. My only issue would ever be the parts and servicing back up. If I was in the market I would certainly have a look--however, I'm happy enough with my 1996 Alp which was built when Honda quality was at the top--and it cost 1k so I consider it good value as the spares situation is still spot on. Talking of spares my son has just bought a new centre stand for his 81 G/S--and its a genuine BMW part!!!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I sat on the bike at the NEC bikeshow and it was one of the very few bikes I later returned to for a second look, it looked quite 'fresh'. Egonomics felt good along with the finish but (for me) the bits that stick out on the side of tank made it feel really wide almost like a table top from above and looked vulnerable. Personally I wouldn't buy one because they're new to the market with no owner feedback and an unknown dealer/parts situation.
It is also really a road bike with no offroad pretensions especially with 17" front wheel.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I bought a brand new Kawasaki GPZ500S in 1991 and used it for the commute into London.
It was a good bike and the engine had a pretty good turn of speed in the upper rev range. To be honest, it felt pokier than its 55bhp and I never had any trouble with it despite giving it a good thrashing everyday but it’s all relative and I bet I’d find it lacking if I rode one again 30 years later. I can think of worse engines to put in a soft off roader.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “BIKES”