Is the GS the best touring Adv bike?

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Is the GS the best touring Adv bike?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Just had a 1000mile, 4 day trip up around Scotland this last weekend (including a 400 mile 7 hour straight run home)

I had forgotten how good these bikes are for touring (and wouldn’t have wanted to have done it on the T700, despite it only being 10hp less and 50kg lighter)

Versatile Mile munchers

Still love it Image
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Snaf MKII

Re: Is the GS the best touring Adv bike?

Post by Snaf MKII »

More Grand Tourer than Adv Tourer IMO but it's all subjective.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Snaf MKII wrote:More Grand Tourer than Adv Tourer IMO but it's all subjective.
C&E got it around the Long Way Round, so not too shabby

I have got that bike up the Stella Alpina too (no luggage on)

With money we don't have

Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:59 am

There's no doubt as to what they can do but the test would be if you line a selection of bikes up with a selection of adventures and ask people what bike they would take for each one. If it were anything involving more A+ roads than anything else over larger distances it would for me be the 1150+ GS's, even if the Stella Alpina was at the end of it. That in my mind defines a Grand Tourer, it's a bit like taking the Bentley Continental to Monaco. when you get there you wish you had a Fiat 500.

Maybe a new thread there with a selection bikes and selection of adventures and see what people would choose.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Snaf MKII wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:17 am
johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:59 am

There's no doubt as to what they can do but the test would be if you line a selection of bikes up with a selection of adventures and ask people what bike they would take for each one. If it were anything involving more A+ roads than anything else over larger distances it would for me be the 1150+ GS's, even if the Stella Alpina was at the end of it. That in my mind defines a Grand Tourer, it's a bit like taking the Bentley Continental to Monaco. when you get there you wish you had a Fiat 500.

Maybe a new thread there with a selection bikes and selection of adventures and see what people would choose.
Good idea

With money we don't have

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It has proved to be on the adventures I bought it to do which primarily was the Stella 2up plus numerous others. Of course lighter dual sport bikes were the ones that gave me the confidence and experience as indeed were the enduro bikes prior to that. No longer riding 2 up so the adventures are based on 2 bikes for which we are using smaller bikes.
Horses for courses and the right tool for the job you have planned is my view, the badge or style doesn't matter.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You've done more miles in a week than some managed in a year when those things were new.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:48 pm You've done more miles in a week than some managed in a year when those things were new.
Now at 62,000

With money we don't have

Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I guess for you it is the best, which really is all that matters. For me it is too high, heavy and expensive. I have a California III for long road only trips, (although it is capable of doing gravel tracks and fire roads). I have done 750 mile days on it in comfort. If I am going on minor roads and doing more off road then the Himalayan is the best bike for me. 4500 miles and nine countries in two weeks riding last summer. Looking forward to going to Scotland on it in a couple of weeks.
I am sure their are other people who have travelled further and had more adventures on C90s and Goldwings and if that floats their boat then fair play. If you wanted to have one bike that was the best ever adventure bike I think the early GS80 and 100s are pretty hard to beat.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Jak* wrote:I guess for you it is the best, which really is all that matters. For me it is too high, heavy and expensive. I have a California III for long road only trips, (although it is capable of doing gravel tracks and fire roads). I have done 750 mile days on it in comfort. If I am going on minor roads and doing more off road then the Himalayan is the best bike for me. 4500 miles and nine countries in two weeks riding last summer. Looking forward to going to Scotland on it in a couple of weeks.
I am sure their are other people who have travelled further and had more adventures on C90s and Goldwings and if that floats their boat then fair play. If you wanted to have one bike that was the best ever adventure bike I think the early GS80 and 100s are pretty hard to beat.
I have had 1100/1150 GS for over 20 years and they just suit me

With money we don't have

Return to “BIKES”