3k to spend. What would you buy?

The Things We Ride
Jak*

Re: 3k to spend. What would you buy?

Post by Jak* »

For 3grand you could get a secondhand 500EFI Enfield. All the ‘charm’ of a British single with modern brakes and electrics. Usually dead reliable, cheap to run and insure. They hold their value as well. I had one when my Himalayan was in for service and it was great to ride round the lanes in the Peaks. For about 500 quid more you could get a Himalayan. The new Enfield Meteors are about 3 1/2 grand and if you like the cruiser style are supposed to be really good.
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

Thanks for the replies, this is what I was hoping for, bikes I'd never have found myself. Will now look a used RE's.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

For less than £3k you could buy an 18 month old Himalayan or a 2 year old Benelli 502 twin ........... ask me how I know.
The Lexmoto 250 vtwin was also on my radar until I got distracted by Ebay :roll: 8-) .
There are lots of small engined bikes in that price bracket, getting owner information to allow you to make the leap of faith is the hard part.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

Exactly. Which one did you go for?
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

McVicar wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:55 pm Exactly. Which one did you go for?
I bought the Himalayan 2 years ago and still have it. I bought the Benelli about 2 months ago for a trip later this year with my Wife on her MT07, the Himalayan would need to work hard to keep up.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

McVicar;

I'd say aim for a larger maxi-scooter.

I've a 2008 model V-Strom thou but use my 2007 Honda Silverwing 600cc maxi-scooter a lot, really comfortable, 55 litres of underseat storage, ABS brakes, standard power charging socket in left glove box, a decent 16 litre fuel tank which gets you around 160 miles to a brimmed tank, deceptively quick 50-BHP paralllel twin engine. They stopped making them from 2014 onwards.
I've owned mine around a year now, such a fabulous thing to ride........smoooth as. I actually ride it more than my V-strom if I'm honest.
3k would buy you a decent one for sure.

ImageAt the bridge by APM Photography, on Flickr

ImageSilverwing by APM Photography, on Flickr

ImageSheriffmuir hills by APM Photography, on Flickr

Regards;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
crofty

Post by crofty »

Your original remit sounds a bit like me, ie you have a bigger bike for touring but want a small bike for just bimbling about on locally.
I have run small bikes for the past 10 years alongside my main touring bike, i concentrated mainly on stuff like crf250l/xt250/himalayan but as I never went off road with them I felt maybe I should try something else. This year I bought a V strom 250 for just under £3000, it is an 18 plate with low mileage. so far after 3000 miles nothing has gone wrong and it seems it will be cheap to run, I also like the 17lt tank and the fact it has tubeless tyres, it has plenty of luggage options and i have been using it as a small tourer for Scotland. Might be worth a look for you.
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

Thanks Crofty. Looks a good bike but wonder if it's a bit too similar to my Versys.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

I bought an RE trials - the older type with separate gear box round the wrong way. IT is blood y awful to ride but in a perverse way I really enjoy it. Dead slow, cheap to run and easy to fix. Got a lovely lazy sound to it and is perfect for just bumbling around on. It is so far removed from modern bikes it takes a bit to get the head around but that's its charm -its different. Every where I stop people ask about it so it is quite a social machine. 3k and it is in mint condition.
Always an adventure, never a disappointment.
ibgary

Post by ibgary »

I'd probably buy riding gear. My helmet is about 5 yrs old as is my jacket.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”