3k to spend. What would you buy?

The Things We Ride
McVicar

3k to spend. What would you buy?

Post by McVicar »

Hi all, I have a Versys 650 GT which I love for touring holidays, but I'm thinking of getting a little light, low powered bike for just pootling around the narrow country lanes here in Somerset. Not talking off road. As it's only for a little toy my budget is 3 grand. I am a bit nervous about Chinese bikes but have been tempted by the Lexmoto Vendetta 250. Any thoughts on what you might go for in this instance, new or used.
Godspeed

Re: 3k to spend. What would you buy?

Post by Godspeed »

Hi, have a look at the Go Big, Ride Small thread on here, lots of people with lots of small bikes πŸ‘
Personally you can’t go wrong with a YBR125 or cg125 as they are perfect for pootling and even for adventures further afield.
You could get one for half that price and spend the rest on some fantastic European adventure on it
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
jjef

Post by jjef »

A Suzuki VanVan ? They come, used, in either 125cc or 200cc.

How fast can you realistically go on the narrow Somerset lanes ?

Have a look at:

https://suzukivanvan.forumotion.com/t11 ... n-for-sale

This bike is nothing to do with me, by the way.

I do, however, have a 125cc VanVan. It is light weight and I use it for going into town. I would happily take it touring, but, if in a group, only with others on similar sized bikes. I also have a larger bike.
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

Thanks. Will have a look at the van van. Have to register to look at the link, so just waiting for my account to be approved.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Time knows no limits for days such as these.............
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I see these for sale in France quite a bit: Mash 125 / 250 etc. Look alright, if you're OK with that retro look.

http://www.mash-motors.fr/en/250cc-moto ... 50-cc.html

I know they're built in China, but owned by a French company, and the ones I saw brand new in a Limoges dealership looked fairly well screwed together actually, and nicely finished. Quite a cheap way to get a brand new bike for pottering about on...

But for all I know they're piles of pooh - it needs someone who has bought and owned one for a few thousand kms to tell us really.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

daveuprite wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:11 pm I see these for sale in France quite a bit: Mash 125 / 250 etc. Look alright, if you're OK with that retro look.

http://www.mash-motors.fr/en/250cc-moto ... 50-cc.html

I know they're built in China, but owned by a French company, and the ones I saw brand new in a Limoges dealership looked fairly well screwed together actually, and nicely finished. Quite a cheap way to get a brand new bike for pottering about on...

But for all I know they're piles of pooh - it needs someone who has bought and owned one for a few thousand kms to tell us really.
I've been seeing a lot of these in and around Exeter/Devon at commuter times. I've been working on the estate where this company resides which suggests spares supply is readily available.
https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I'd be tempted to get an old MZ, 250cc or maybe 150/175cc. 2-stroke classics, lightweight, simple to maintain, spares cheap and available, and that lovely 2T haze/smell. A reasonable 250 of late 70's to early 90's vintage can be had for Β£1500.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210627-165147_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210627-165147_Chrome.jpg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

IanB wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:49 pm There's one for sale on UKGSER

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthrea ... 5-for-sale
After registering on UKGSER I would have to pay Β£15 to access the for sale section or send the vendor a message :roll:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I'd look at a used Yamaha WR125X or one of those BMW 310 things are in budget :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

Return to β€œBIKES”