AJP PR7 Owners?

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: AJP PR7 Owners?

Post by Tonibe63 »

I've heard that lithium batteries need a specific charger/conditioner, maybe someone with better knowledge than me could confirm?? :?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:37 am I've heard that lithium batteries need a specific charger/conditioner, maybe someone with better knowledge than me could confirm?? :?

They do... I checked the internet and thought that I had the right Optimate... but I didn't. It was a costly lesson.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

OB1 - re the lithium battery, mine holds charge far better than the Lead/Acid equivalent, however sometimes it feels lethargic...

The solution is to turn on the ignition (headlight comes on)and leave for 30 seconds before attempting to start, apparently this "wakes" the lithium battery up. Works every time on my PR7, even after a night left out in frosty Wales.

(This works for all Lithium batteries I'm told).
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Crossrutted wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:09 pm OB1 - re the lithium battery, mine holds charge far better than the Lead/Acid equivalent, however sometimes it feels lethargic...

The solution is to turn on the ignition (headlight comes on)and leave for 30 seconds before attempting to start, apparently this "wakes" the lithium battery up. Works every time on my PR7, even after a night left out in frosty Wales.

(This works for all Lithium batteries I'm told).

I read that exact same tip on ADVRider this morning!

The new battery has arrived and has been fitted: all systems are go.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Can't wait to hear some feedback on the bike
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:05 pm Can't wait to hear some feedback on the bike

I'm heading up to Donnington for the World Superbikes at the weekend (a Christmas present from my sister) and I've taken the following week off so that I can do a little touring on the bike. I was thinking of nipping up to Kirkby Stephen to visit the importer/main dealer to enquire about the Power-up Kit.
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Good one! Don't for get to take in some lanes...there are some around Coalville, Leics, I think.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I to have been reading the blurb on specific LiFe batteries. They say that damage can occur if the charger is left on too long and the charger enters the "float" stage automatically. However, I still question the situation quite simply because the bike's charging system doesn't know what battery type is fitted and will simply maintain supply voltage to a bit over 14V. I have charged Li batteries using a decent charger designed for AGM and it didn't go into desulphate mode because of the higher battery terminal voltage. I think the key is to hold the supply voltage to a little over 14V and not to leave it on for too long--but I'm no expert.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:30 pm Good one! Don't for get to take in some lanes...there are some around Coalville, Leics, I think.
There is indeed Richard but they are boring and flat so if OB1 is heading up to Kirby Stephen from Donnington then personally I would search out much better lanes going up through the Peak District and Yorkshire Dales.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:10 pm I to have been reading the blurb on specific LiFe batteries. They say that damage can occur if the charger is left on too long and the charger enters the "float" stage automatically. However, I still question the situation quite simply because the bike's charging system doesn't know what battery type is fitted and will simply maintain supply voltage to a bit over 14V. I have charged Li batteries using a decent charger designed for AGM and it didn't go into desulphate mode because of the higher battery terminal voltage. I think the key is to hold the supply voltage to a little over 14V and not to leave it on for too long--but I'm no expert.

If you feel like creating some carbon fibre goodies for the PR7, you can use mine as a testbed as I'm just down the road! :D
justrtw.com

Return to “BIKES”