AJP PR7 Owners?

The Things We Ride
byewayrider

Re: AJP PR7 Owners?

Post by byewayrider »

I'm calling in at the Portuguese factory in early September to have the tour and test ride one.... They as a company are really excellent to deal with always happy to talk... I'm riding a very old ruff ktm690... So a good comparison... And best of all I get to ride the lovely Portuguese trails...

Ccm couldn't of built this bike in a million years....
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
OB1

Post by OB1 »

byewayrider wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:19 pm I'm calling in at the Portuguese factory in early September to have the tour and test ride one.... They as a company are really excellent to deal with always happy to talk... I'm riding a very old ruff ktm690... So a good comparison... And best of all I get to ride the lovely Portuguese trails...

Ccm couldn't of built this bike in a million years....

At the bike meet yesterday, someone did ask if it was a CCM :lol:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The sad thing is that, if they'd had their wits about them, CCM could have built this bike.
It looks splendid in that picture...better than it looks in the PR shots.
I really must avoid Thor Motorcycles.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I visited MCT Suspension the other day to collect the forks and rear shock for my CRF250 Rally. We got to talking about the PR7 and how it used the same engine as the CCM Spitfire. The chap at MCT told me that the Ohlins rear shock on the Spitfire was taken directly from a Ducati Diavel... without any changes. That means that they took a unit meant for a 240 kg bike and put it into a 140 kg bike. Form over function sounds like the order of the day at CCM.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:23 pm The sad thing is that, if they'd had their wits about them, CCM could have built this bike.
Got to disagree with you there Richard. There is no comparison between AJP and the CCM set-up.

When CCM launched the 450 I went to the factory to have a test ride. What I experienced put me off completely.
What I subsequently read about their customer care & warranty issues confirmed my decision as correct.
The 450 had looked to be exactly what I wanted but the organisation etc.

(Having had a proper CCM mx back in the early 90's I really wanted another CCM too.)

CCM have now sunk to building over priced "tarts handbags" :roll:
Kelvyn

Post by Kelvyn »

IMG_8116.jpeg
IMG_8116.jpeg (244.53 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
I've managed to squeeze 6k miles in, during the gaps between lockdowns in the last 12 months.., most of that greenlaning.
Lake District, Cumbria, Northumberland
Coast 2 Coast
Great Western Trail

Brilliant support from MHB Motorcycles.

Lithium battery weak - or appears so when cold, definitely needs to be warmed / started in a certain manner.
Side stand weak
Bashplate doesn't offer sufficient coverage / can pancake the exhaust.

vs the KTM 690 - It doesn't feel as solid, vs the KTM 640 adventure, it's more balanced, but I'm happy with mine and look forward to putting more miles in the next 12 months where we have more freedom to travel.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Kelvyn wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:55 pm IMG_8116.jpeg

I've managed to squeeze 6k miles in, during the gaps between lockdowns in the last 12 months.., most of that greenlaning.
Lake District, Cumbria, Northumberland
Coast 2 Coast
Great Western Trail

Brilliant support from MHB Motorcycles.

Lithium battery weak - or appears so when cold, definitely needs to be warmed / started in a certain manner.
Side stand weak
Bashplate doesn't offer sufficient coverage / can pancake the exhaust.

vs the KTM 690 - It doesn't feel as solid, vs the KTM 640 adventure, it's more balanced, but I'm happy with mine and look forward to putting more miles in the next 12 months where we have more freedom to travel.
Interesting photo, quite like it. Well that's a decent review. If those gripes are all that's wrong with it, that's not bad at all - and easily solved.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Three months of ownership and I've double the mileage on my PR7. I've had a couple of issues but everything feels good at the moment.

The biggest issue that I had was that the tablet would shut down and not charge at anything above 50-60 mph: I put it down to the micro USB coming loose with the vibrations from the single. I recently removed the tablet to find a way to fix this and found that there seem to be two types of micro USB leads: those that seem to click when you insert them and those that don't. The one fitted to the AJP didn't so I replaced it with one that does click and it has made it a much more secure connection, ensuring that even at 70+ mph, the tablet operated as I would expect.
AJP.jpg
AJP.jpg (135.66 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
The second issue was partly down to my carelessness. I fitted a pair of Rox 2" risers a little while back but I didn't get on with them when they were installed vertically: they made the bars feel too high like I was riding a chopper. I removed them and bought a pair of 1" risers... which didn't fit as the mounting holes were in the wrong position. Last week I went back to the 2" Rox risers and installed them at 45 degrees pulled towards the rider: this makes them feel far more natural. After installation, I took the bike for a ride and found that the lights and indicators had stopped working... connector block had pulled loose on a right turn! Accessing the block was not an issue but reconnecting was a bit of a fiddle. I rerouted the wiring to give it a little more freedom.

Apart from those two niggles, I'm loving the PR7. I have had 195 miles from a full tank with 3 litres remaining when I topped it up. It maxes out at around 85 mph but that's not what I bought this bike for. I would much rather be between 60 and 70 mph when cruising. I'm still yet to take it down a green lane... something I really want to do soon. Watch this space!
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I forgot a couple of things... I was rear-ended by a car back in July which resulted in a broken taillight for the bike and a lot more damage to the car! My light cost £45 to replace so I'm not complaining.

I am also looking at getting the exhaust ceramic coated as it looks crap after just one year and 2,500 miles. I have has a quote of just shy of £200 for a titanium finish... or I could just spend £800+ on the power-up kit and get a real titanium exhaust...
zorst.jpg
zorst.jpg (117.57 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
I have been considering different luggage options as I don't think I want to spoil this bike with hard panniers. I have a pair of Metal Mule boxes and racks that I have used on both my Tigers over the preceding 10 years. I then bought a pair of the Kriega OS-32 bags to fit the DirtRacks frames on my CRF250 Rally. Neither of these options would suit the AJP so I have opted for the Kreiga OS Base and I will probably get a pair of OS-18 bags to fit. On a recent trip up north I used a 50-litre dry bag that fitted nicely on the rear rack and seat so I think that I should have enough carrying capacity.
justrtw.com
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I have Kreiga 15L panniers on mine and they are just right.

Return to “BIKES”