THE CCM MAVIRICK

The Things We Ride
moto al

Re: THE CCM MAVIRICK

Post by moto al »

ccm do nothing for me, TO say that its great too see a brittish manufacturer still in business
moto al
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Jak* wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:57 am Whilst I agree with you Minky that CCM seem to have developed a business model that works for them, I am not sure about the market for adventure bikes. My Himalayan is everything that the GP450 promised and failed to deliver, despite my GP costing twice as much. CCM probably went for the wrong choice of engine as the Himalayan is selling by the truck load with a much lower power output. Ultimately it was the poor finish, cost cutting and finally awful customer service that let CCM down. The new ones look great, which must be some consolation when you are waiting for the tow truck.
sorry jak i know yours blew up or summet like that .........mine didnt ...u wont see many excs with 1100 hours on the odo so at 7045 for tha base bike i had no complaints ..stuff broke and i just fixed it most of the parts off ebay or sppedbrain or bowker but i never got stuck anywhere on it ..it was i admit a t**t to work on sometimes went through two touque limiters ..but thats showbiz as they say i deffo think it stood easily against the likes of a 690 for reliability ..which i guess dont say much ....?? but thats the nature of a full braap high compression machine to be fair the ccm and the himalayan are poles apart in concept .. if you had come to bulgaria with them hill climbs and the like on the himmy you would need a helicopter and set of flares to go where the ccm got me ...dont think ive owt against the himmy ive not i actually quite like it but its no ccm .... for u thats a good thing and for me a bad one id hurt meself on a himmy and damage the bike and lots of doors would close.so to manage risk id simply have to turn around and go another way .... its not off road worthy enough for my need s by far its really isnt a like for like comparason so to say the himmy is everything the ccm should be is confined i think to your needs ..ive often said i wish i could get the crf300 motor in the ccm chassis 90mpg 350 mile range simple to maintain ectect ... so most of the ccms downfalls revolved around the motor and fueling and crappy electrics overcomlicated tri tank system which may be a great concept in centralisation but a pain in thatss to own .....that was its big downfall but the chassis suspension fairing tank capacity were the stuff of unicorn status ...124.5 kgms with all that bolted on was a great achievement where as you coud argue 185 kgms dry for a himmy is a zero efffort .... i dont think anyone will come close to that 124 again

...my point being they are poles apart in ability and design breif ..just the rear shock would cost 25 percent of the himmy to buy direct a replacement axle would be 7 times the cost but weigh a fifth as much ectect it costs a lot to save weight so there is a clue as to why the ccm cost three grand more

so yes id be in small minority but i for one would have liked to trade for the gp600 ......which brings us back to the crux of the thread ...why would they bother when they can shell out them spifires at silly money ??
i liked me ccm fleawed as it was in places but it was brave move that didnt work out for some of the owners and i think defo for ccm themselves

sold it to fund a t7 ....mistake that was so sold that ....what next ?? still have braaapy memories of me ccm

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tonibe63 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:49 pm A small volume manufacturer trying to survive by building bikes that they believe enough customers want. It's good to see different designs offering something that Honda/BMW etc are not.
Yeah, I agree with you Toni. It's great to see a small builder being original and different. That will sometimes involve getting it wrong, but it's brave and bold to have a go - a la GP450.

I suppose what is disappointing people is that the current CCM offerings are not brave and bold. They're derivative, they're safe and they don't change or advance bike manufacture in any way. The GP450 attempted to do that. As Minky says, it was a 125kg dedicated off-road adventure bike - the holy grail of long-range dirt touring - and well worth the effort even if the execution was flawed.

Again as Minky says, there's no comparison between the GP450 and the 'play it safe' Himalayan. Any one can build a solid heavy reliable bike with low-stress ancient engineering, unambitious dynamics and a 'look backwards' image (Harley Davidson have made a fortune doing it). It takes risk and skill to push the boundaries a bit and move the sector forward.

Which is not to say that there won't be thousands of happy Enfield owners. There will. It will give them exactly what they want and there's no shame in that whatsoever.
SteveWat

Post by SteveWat »

I totally agree with Minky.
I’ve had a CCM Gp450 and a Himalayan.
The Himi is very boring once you’ve got over the novelty.
The CCM is great fun.
Other than that, I can only endorse what Minky said.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

minkyhead wrote:
Jak* wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:57 am Whilst I agree with you Minky that CCM seem to have developed a business model that works for them, I am not sure about the market for adventure bikes. My Himalayan is everything that the GP450 promised and failed to deliver, despite my GP costing twice as much. CCM probably went for the wrong choice of engine as the Himalayan is selling by the truck load with a much lower power output. Ultimately it was the poor finish, cost cutting and finally awful customer service that let CCM down. The new ones look great, which must be some consolation when you are waiting for the tow truck.
sorry jak i know yours blew up or summet like that .........mine didnt ...u wont see many excs with 1100 hours on the odo so at 7045 for tha base bike i had no complaints ..stuff broke and i just fixed it most of the parts off ebay or sppedbrain or bowker but i never got stuck anywhere on it ..it was i admit a t**t to work on sometimes went through two touque limiters ..but thats showbiz as they say i deffo think it stood easily against the likes of a 690 for reliability ..which i guess dont say much ....?? but thats the nature of a full braap high compression machine to be fair the ccm and the himalayan are poles apart in concept .. if you had come to bulgaria with them hill climbs and the like on the himmy you would need a helicopter and set of flares to go where the ccm got me ...dont think ive owt against the himmy ive not i actually quite like it but its no ccm .... for u thats a good thing and for me a bad one id hurt meself on a himmy and damage the bike and lots of doors would close.so to manage risk id simply have to turn around and go another way .... its not off road worthy enough for my need s by far its really isnt a like for like comparason so to say the himmy is everything the ccm should be is confined i think to your needs ..ive often said i wish i could get the crf300 motor in the ccm chassis 90mpg 350 mile range simple to maintain ectect ... so most of the ccms downfalls revolved around the motor and fueling and crappy electrics overcomlicated tri tank system which may be a great concept in centralisation but a pain in thatss to own .....that was its big downfall but the chassis suspension fairing tank capacity were the stuff of unicorn status ...124.5 kgms with all that bolted on was a great achievement where as you coud argue 185 kgms dry for a himmy is a zero efffort .... i dont think anyone will come close to that 124 again

...my point being they are poles apart in ability and design breif ..just the rear shock would cost 25 percent of the himmy to buy direct a replacement axle would be 7 times the cost but weigh a fifth as much ectect it costs a lot to save weight so there is a clue as to why the ccm cost three grand more

so yes id be in small minority but i for one would have liked to trade for the gp600 ......which brings us back to the crux of the thread ...why would they bother when they can shell out them spifires at silly money ??
i liked me ccm fleawed as it was in places but it was brave move that didnt work out for some of the owners and i think defo for ccm themselves

sold it to fund a t7 ....mistake that was so sold that ....what next ?? still have braaapy memories of me ccm

T7 a mistake ?
Heavier but capable
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Let's say for a moment that you ARE into this kind of posy hipster bike and in the market to buy one. What else does the 10-11k price buy you?

Personally I think I'd go for a Ducati Desert Sled, although it is heavier.

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:39 am
minkyhead wrote:
Jak* wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:57 am

T7 a mistake ?
Heavier but capable
totally agree good bike but it was ultimatly too heavy for me to use as a one does all bike ..great in some places but scary in others ..hold me hands up and admit it was too much bike for me off road when it got a bit minty i was scared of it ..or at least the weight of it and have had better road bikes but the t7 was a very nice road bike way fast enough in the real world ..but nowt thrilling ...particularly with t6he motoz tyres on

im not sure what ill do next i have a idea to back to a high power bike for road trips and get also tempted
a lot by the pr7

im going to admit it i really like the quirky look and the performace spec of the weird thing below ... i..wouldnd contemplate a gravel drive on it but for some reason im drawn to it as grand tourer ..got me name down for test ride when they get a demo in at manchester ..dunno what to expect proper but id like to have go ..could always drive stright in the garage and never walk around the front ....150 hp is silly as is the styling but 2 sillys is better than one maby :mrgreen:

think id take that over the mavick anytime ?

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

minkyhead wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:51 pm ..could always drive stright in the garage and never walk around the front
:lol: :lol:

Eeeek! It's K9 from Dr Who !
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

So thats where all those unused Reliant Rialto front end went :lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i like the fact its got its own letterbox . look better in red i reakon
Last edited by minkyhead on Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BIKES”