THE CCM MAVIRICK

The Things We Ride
PaulinBont

Re: THE CCM MAVIRICK

Post by PaulinBont »

Check out ‘The Way of the Desert Sled’ on YouTube .
Jack Pine Hammarhead Triumph.

Limited production run , but my God, done so right.

Looking back, I wish I’d bought one of these instead of wasting my money on the 450
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Below is picture of what a Motorcycle looks like

johnnyboxer

THE CCM MAVIRICK

Post by johnnyboxer »

minkyhead wrote: totally agree good bike but it was ultimatly too heavy for me to use as a one does all bike ..great in some places but scary in others ..hold me hands up and admit it was too much bike for me off road when it got a bit minty i was scared of it ..or at least the weight of it and have had better road bikes but the t7 was a very nice road bike way fast enough in the real world ..but nowt thrilling ...particularly with t6he motoz tyres on

im not sure what ill do next i have a idea to back to a high power bike for road trips and get also tempted a lot by the pr7
I cannot disagree Steve
In the summer and on dry trails the T700 is great fun,went out on Thursday afternoon and evening into Nidderdale and did a few trails, lots of backroads and just laid on the grass by the reservoirs & then fish and chips in the square at Masham
Perfect bike to pop in 60-70 miles, for a couple of summer evening hours and the odd dry & stony green lane
However I know what you mean, about heavy and in mud, last Sunday I was coming back from Pickering on the A170 and just thought I would do a small green lane detour
The lane was lightly wooded & single track and the mud hadn’t dried out fully
Jeezus it was like riding a supertanker (even with proper knobblies on) and likewise it scared me
Same trail on the XR400R or your CRF - you could have ridden it with your eyes closed in comparison
Ridden same lane a few years ago on my xchallenge in the rain and don’t remember any drama
I guess 50-60kg of ‘dead’ weight makes a difference
Maybe time for a 690/701 instead
No such thing as a unicorn
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I don’t have one, nor have I ridden one.
I think the problem with the t7 along with certain other bigger bikes is the exhaust running under the engines.This raises the power unit significantly and the whole CG of the bike. Couple that with some fuel on top carried high. Makes a heavy bike seem even heavier, especially when it starts to get away from you. Your very soon in deep trouble, especially if your carrying some speed.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

mechanic wrote:I don’t have one, nor have I ridden one.
I think the problem with the t7 along with certain other bigger bikes is the exhaust running under the engines.This raises the power unit significantly and the whole CG of the bike. Couple that with some fuel on top carried high. Makes a heavy bike seem even heavier, especially when it starts to get away from you. Your very soon in deep trouble, especially if your carrying some speed.
That’s a very good point Image
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

mechanic wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:23 am I don’t have one, nor have I ridden one.
I don't think the exhaust runs any lower than the engine on a T7, the problem is using an engine designed for a road only bike rather than a ground up design.
It would be interesting to know the centre of gravity such bikes or bar weight at certain lean angles.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Agree on the exhaust route comment--some manufacturers try to run it down the bottom RH corner of the sump so that it doesn't influence ground clearance too much. Carrying any weight higher up has an influence--typically fuel. The old airheads carry their main engine mass very low--just wheel one around and you'll soon know what I mean. The KTM 640A was/is a classic for the combination of good ground clearance, proper suspension, and weight carried as low as possible--the large saddle fuel tank being a prime example. Expensive to make, but still immensely popular al over the world--it does what it says on the tin!. KTM have tried to keep fuel weight low down on the 950s and lately on the 790/890. We have a BMW X challenge and the fuel and oil weight have been centralised under your bum--and the bike weight is also low at 147kg for a 650.
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

If you want something with classic looks and you're going to pay over £10k then why not get your own built to suit your individual requirements.

These 4 are in the region of 170 - 180 kgs wet, with fuel. They perform well off road and on, from motorways to the TET across the Pyrenees and green lanes etc. Whilst with all new builds, there are a few niggles to start off with, but once they're set up, they're solid reliable bikes, without fancy electronics to let you down and are easy to maintain and bits are still easily available.

Worth thinking about if you don't want new.

ImageIMG_7637 by tuftywhite, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7526 by tuftywhite, on Flickr
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think for some riders on here having a low weight bike is obviously a major priority and it was one of the reasons I bought the CCM. However it depends what you want from an ‘adventure’ bike, to me reliability is one of my key concerns. For my CCM the main advantage of the light weight was that it was easier to push in and out of the recovery truck. When you look at any gathering of adventure bikes most riders seem to have spent a lot of money making their bikes heavier, luggage racks, crash bars, tool boxes, spot lights, taller screens, sat navs, go pros, panniers, top boxes the size of fridges etc etc. The only way that most riders save weight is by putting a lighter silencer on, although most people do this because it sounds better to them. I guess if I wanted to I could probably lose about 20kg off my Himmy. A plastic tank, alloy rims, lighter rear shock, take the centre stand off, remove the bars around the tank and the rear rack, however many of those things and the extras I have added make the bike more practical for long distance travel. Most of the 26,000 miles I have done on my Himmy has been on tarmac roads, often small back roads were it excels. I have taken it off road in the Peaks, Wales and in Spain and Portugal and it has been great. I tend to prefer unsurfaced roads to hard core trails. When I had a Serrow I rode the steps at Sarn Helen and Curbar Edge and Wildboroughclough but to be honest I am not a great off road rider and didn’t enjoy them that much. I wouldn’t take the Himmy down them (although I think the are all closed now) and I would have taken my GP450 down as it was the low suspension model. Whilst I think the GP was a great design it seemed to really be an enduro bike with the high level of maintenance that entails. For me and thousands of others the Himalayan is the ideal adventure bike, if you go on the Facebook group it is full of posts of people actually riding them and for many people it has been the bike that introduced them to off road riding.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

nothing wrong with the himalayan i like it for what it is and what its desghned to do ..ccm on facebook owners page now by coincidence ,,,,cheap too :evil:

I'm about to put my bike on Ebay but thought I'd give it one more shout out on the groups. Price will be £2250. Brief details.
Registered 01.11.2016. Has a luggage rack fitted. Hydraulic suspension adjuster. Lower seat. 65,500kms.
It's had hard use so is showing its age a bit. Will probably need new bearing and bushes. The charging system has been renewed. New clutch and clutch drum bearings.
Various spares with it, including new sprockets and a stage 1 power commander.
Based in Kent. DM for more details.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”