KTM 890 Adventure R or honda Africa Twin?

The Things We Ride
robson

KTM 890 Adventure R or honda Africa Twin?

Post by robson »

Hi,
planning to get KTM 890 Adventure R or honda Africa Twin and cannot decide.
Anybody had problem with choosing between those two? Both bikes have its own issues, honda frame rust
ktm leaks, brakes etc :)
Pint Master

Re: KTM 890 Adventure R or honda Africa Twin?

Post by Pint Master »

I've owned a 790R and an AT, the KTM is far superior if you intend to ride "off-road" on is almost as good as the Honda on-road, the Honda has a lovely engine note the KTM less so and sounds like a bag of nails ticking over. The AT is a good looking bike the KTM isn't. The KTM is more of a riders bike the AT is more of a bike to travel on.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Oooh! that's a good question! I am currently riding an Africa Twin (2016) and do ride it off road which it is surprisingly good at. I did test ride a 790 adventure (the standard one) on the road only and was impressed but not enough to make me want to swap the AT for one. I think Pint Master says it perfectly, the 790 just felt more sort of 'open' the AT seemed to have a bit more around you if you know what i mean!.

And with the documented issues with the 790 i decided to keep the AT and love it every time i ride it BUT the 890 'R' does seem like a great bike as an all rounder but for 12 grand i think ill stick with the AT for now, plus as the value has dropped im not so worried about dropping it off road!! its all about tyre choice really, but the AT suspension is a bit soft so some expense will be needed whereas the ktm is ready out of the box (almost!)

I guess you need to test ride both and see. But let us know your thoughts, ill be following this one!
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

I had an Adventure Sport DCT for almost 2yrs and miss it a lot,it was so comfy and easy to ride with a glorious noise from it,in those 2yrs i did 11000 miles and had absolutely no trouble at all,it looked as good as the day it was new when I sold it and id dragged it through all types of weather and terrain,forests,rivers and miles of lanes etc.The thing i wasn't too comfortable with was the height of the thing,it was a beast,you had to watch the road camber when you were stopping.I only sold it because i wanted one last episode on the sports bike scene and so I went and bought myself a 2017 fireblade to get all of that accumulated tension out of my system lol.Well that itch is properly scratched now and I expect to be looking for another Africa Twin very shortly and i'll be parting with the blade,the new 1100 is very tempting as used prices appear to be coming down.

8-)

Return to “BIKES”