The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Beta X-Trainer

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Anyone got one, or had one?
daveuprite

Re: Beta X-Trainer

Post by daveuprite »

I know people who have had them, and I know a bit about them. I might be buying one myself this Autumn - possibly. What do you want to know Richard?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Some time ago, I had a brief ride on the full-on race Beta 300, and liked it.

My interests are range, reliability, ride-ability.

I'm possibly considering selling the Pampera, which I have owned since new (I got one of the last 2 to be imported to the UK), but it's difficult to find a replacement. I'm also considering an air-cooled AJP or one of those Montessa 4-Ride things, so I'm fairly open-minded.
I'm just looking at spec sheets at the moment, and the new X-trainer won't be in the UK until June...

I've had a long break from proper trail riding for a variety of reasons, and to be honest the trail bike I buy next will probably be the last one I own. I'll only use it for local rides, and perhaps an occasional long-distance trial.

I've got other bikes for long-distance trail riding, like Salisbury Plain etc
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Hi Richard I had a Beta 300RR 2t and loved it, and my mate had the X trainer. They are totally different bikes really I am 16 stone and the x trainer was really soft suspension and felt like a kids bike to me whereas the 300rr was a really nice bike with proper race style suspension. I think if you are short and fairly lightweight then the x trainer will be fine for lanes etc and you can ride it like a trials bike but for anything more than that I would say its lacking! Oh and watch out as the older ones (2017/18) tended to get the throttle cable stuck open which made for some interesting forays into the scenery for my mate which must have been scary as shit for him but we all thought it was hilarious lol..... but apart from that neither of us really had to spend anything on them and found them very reliable.
Richard Simpson Mark II

That sounds quite hopeful

I'd lying if I said that some of the lanes around here are like trials sections....they actually ARE trials sections!

Are the lights any good?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Also thinking about the Gas Gas Ranger...anyone any experience?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:That sounds quite hopeful

I'd lying if I said that some of the lanes around here are like trials sections....they actually ARE trials sections!

Are the lights any good?
Only one bike then the Honda 4Ride
Great LDT bike
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

X-trainer range is an issue sometimes. Standard out of the box they do about 30mpg and with a smallish tank they don't go much further than 40-50 miles depending on the style of riding. But a re-jet can increase the mpg considerably and add another 20 miles. Lots of advice on this on the Beta section of thumpertalk. It has 2-stroke oil injection too, so you don't have to muck about with pre-mix.

It's small and and very agile compared with almost all other enduro-type bikes, because the frame is small. Seat height is comparatively low and it weighs in about 100kgs. Consider also the Beta 200RR which was introduced 2 years ago. It shares a frame with the 125RR so it's nice and small, but more buzzy and high revving than the X-trainer. One for the gnarly enthusiast.

The X-trainer has the 300RR engine but with the top-end hit chopped off and good torque down the bottom, so great for nadgery hill-climbs and forest single track. Not good for fast fire trails and open desert etc, nor for miles of road work between trails. Not good for anyone over 15 stone or 6'1. Suspension is much softer than the 300RR and less adjustable so weight of the rider matters. It will bottom out on jumps/yumps.

X-Trainer has changed little, spec-wise, since introduction so a little-used 2nd hand one would be a good buy to save money on a brand new one.

The KTM Freeride is an alternative, but the components aren't as strong. More of a fat trials fun bike. Comes as 250 2T or 3504T or Electric.

Sorry, don't know about the lights - I hardly ever ride in the dark. But if it's anything like the light on my 450RR you'd be better off with a Christmas Scented Wanky Candle held out on a stick in front of you.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Hi Richard Mike Irving has one has have ridden it God Awful thing wouldn't give it space in the coal shed.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

I've got one, 2017 and is after trying a Beta Alp4.0, kwack super Sherpa, Scorpa T-ride 250f, the XT is the best of that lot, vibey but quick and controllable. Feel free to ask questions
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315

Return to “BIKES”