Beta X-Trainer

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Beta X-Trainer

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Pint Master wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 pm Hi Richard Mike Irving has one has have ridden it God Awful thing wouldn't give it space in the coal shed.
:)
I'm sure it would feel like a Gold Wing after a Pampera!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Personally I'd say the issue is how satisfied you'd be with a certain kind of riding and the bike's limitations. Because there's not much point in buying an X-trainer only to spend time and money on suspension, range, performance - when you could have just bought a 300RR in the first place. Or a KTM 300EXC, or a Huskie 300TE etc. It would make a fantastic second bike, which you chuck in the van to go to nadgery tight trails, with another rangier faster bike for the longer more open stuff.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:28 am Personally I'd say the issue is how satisfied you'd be with a certain kind of riding and the bike's limitations. Because there's not much point in buying an X-trainer only to spend time and money on suspension, range, performance - when you could have just bought a 300RR in the first place. Or a KTM 300EXC, or a Huskie 300TE etc. It would make a fantastic second bike, which you chuck in the van to go to nadgery tight trails, with another rangier faster bike for the longer more open stuff.
As above good advice! my choice would be the Husky
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

The comment about the 300RR is fine unless like me your a short arse, as the XT is the only endure I can fit on! I can't touch the floor sat on a 300RR etc where as the XT I can in stock form and the comments about the suspension etc, which are well known, aren't an issue for me while trail riding. I guess if the suspension was better I'd just ride faster :twisted:
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I've ridden a 2016 300EXC and a new 20/21 Husqvarna 300TE with fuel injection.

The Fi TE is probably the smoothest 2 stroke I've ever ridden, including twins (350YPVS etc) and even an RG500 Gamma. Amazingly civilised. And the suspension is plush as you like - bloody lovely to ride.

As said above though, they are seriously tall bikes (got to be for the clearance you need) and lowering kits will only achieve so much. An XT will always be lower.

Betas have always been just a little bit lower in the seat, maybe 20mm, even the 300RR - although it's still a proper tall competitive enduro bike. The 2021 beta range can now be ordered new from the factory as a factory-lowered version for shorter riders; and they do it properly - different shock and forks, different linkage etc - that's progress.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:59 pm
Pint Master wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 pm Hi Richard Mike Irving has one has have ridden it God Awful thing wouldn't give it space in the coal shed.
:)
I'm sure it would feel like a Gold Wing after a Pampera!

Mikes coming to Devon next month I'm sure he'd be happy for you to try his.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Brilliant...that sounds like a plan!
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I've not ridden one but would never have another Beta, I had a 350 after all the rave reviews from various media. It was as good as they said but service backup and spares were non existent, the wiring loom fell apart after a severe drowning and I couldn't get a new one so I built my own which made the bike unsellable, the swingarm bearings were on back order so I modified a KTM set to suit, the suspension linkage bearings were on backorder and very expensive with no aftermarket option. The piston and barrel have been obsolete since nearly new.
Things may have changed since 2010 and you do have a dealer close to you but I'd be checking out spares and aftermarket services before ever considering one as a long term ownership.
Are you specifically wanting a 2t, it's a shame that KTM don't still make the 200EXC as I think that was always the best combination of technical and faster going capability.
Are you replacing the Pamp
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am
Things may have changed since 2010
They have. Completely. There's no trouble getting OEM parts, from dealers all over Europe. I tend to order from a place in Belgium, where they dispatch quickly and always get the order right, but there are options in most countries. I can pull up a full schematic breakdown of all parts with detailed part numbers for any model year in 2 minutes.

As to aftermarket parts, it's much better now. Bearing for wheels, steering head, linkage, swingarm and wheels all available from All Balls and other makers. Full bodywork kits for all post 2013 bikes from Polisport. Pegs, levers, clutches, fork internals, exhausts, bars, guards, big tanks, etc etc - all easily available via ebay, 24MX etc etc.
Richard Simpson Mark II

That's interesting...and a bit worrying. My youngest brother is restoring a KTM-engined Beta, so I'll ask him how difficult it's been. I might also do a bit of mystery shopping for spares!

The plan would be to replace the Pamp with the Beta or whatever else....but I'm still considering that.

I once stupidly replaced a lovely Suzuki DR350 with a motorcycle-shaped pile of scrap direct from the Husqvarna factory, so I now tend to hang on to what I've got. But the Pamp is very focussed in a certain direction, and like any bike built down to a cost and weight there are certain parts that need very regular replacement (wheel bearings especially).

Return to “BIKES”