Beta X-Trainer

The Things We Ride
Snaf MKII

Re: Beta X-Trainer

Post by Snaf MKII »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 am That's interesting...and a bit worrying. My youngest brother is restoring a KTM-engined Beta, so I'll ask him how difficult it's been. I might also do a bit of mystery shopping for spares!
I might have some spares, if there's anything specific he needs let me know. I have a complete 2005 250/350RR.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I don't have any knowledge of maintaining a pre 2010/11 KTM-engined Beta, but the motors were RFS so from that point of view it's as easy or hard as getting spares for a contemporary KTM - I've heard that there are shortages of some bits but someone like Phil on here would know much better than me.

The beta electrics have got better and better over the years, but not their strongest point. Luckily there's not much involved in the loom, until they went over to Fi in 2013/14, so it's all quite easily bodge-able behind the headlamp and under the tank.
ChrisCole

Post by ChrisCole »

Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am I've not ridden one but would never have another Beta, I had a 350 after all the rave reviews from various media. It was as good as they said but service backup and spares were non existent, the wiring loom fell apart after a severe drowning and I couldn't get a new one so I built my own which made the bike unsellable, the swingarm bearings were on back order so I modified a KTM set to suit, the suspension linkage bearings were on backorder and very expensive with no aftermarket option. The piston and barrel have been obsolete since nearly new.
Things may have changed since 2010 and you do have a dealer close to you but I'd be checking out spares and aftermarket services before ever considering one as a long term ownership.
Are you specifically wanting a 2t, it's a shame that KTM don't still make the 200EXC as I think that was always the best combination of technical and faster going capability.
Are you replacing the Pamp
You failed to say how well Beta's can open french gates even when they are wired shut, high attrition rate for plastics though. Even with a dodgy wiring harness Beta's appear to start ok as long as you hold them on full lock while starting
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:That's interesting...and a bit worrying. My youngest brother is restoring a KTM-engined Beta, so I'll ask him how difficult it's been. I might also do a bit of mystery shopping for spares!

The plan would be to replace the Pamp with the Beta or whatever else....but I'm still considering that.

I once stupidly replaced a lovely Suzuki DR350 with a motorcycle-shaped pile of scrap direct from the Husqvarna factory, so I now tend to hang on to what I've got. But the Pamp is very focussed in a certain direction, and like any bike built down to a cost and weight there are certain parts that need very regular replacement (wheel bearings especially).
Living where you do, knowing the lanes there

I’d be buying a 4Ride and it’s a Honda
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

ChrisCole wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:05 pm
Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am I've not ridden one but would never have another Beta, I had a 350 after all the rave reviews from various media. It was as good as they said but service backup and spares were non existent, the wiring loom fell apart after a severe drowning and I couldn't get a new one so I built my own which made the bike unsellable, the swingarm bearings were on back order so I modified a KTM set to suit, the suspension linkage bearings were on backorder and very expensive with no aftermarket option. The piston and barrel have been obsolete since nearly new.
Things may have changed since 2010 and you do have a dealer close to you but I'd be checking out spares and aftermarket services before ever considering one as a long term ownership.
Are you specifically wanting a 2t, it's a shame that KTM don't still make the 200EXC as I think that was always the best combination of technical and faster going capability.
Are you replacing the Pamp
You failed to say how well Beta's can open french gates even when they are wired shut, high attrition rate for plastics though. Even with a dodgy wiring harness Beta's appear to start ok as long as you hold them on full lock while starting
:lol: Yeh, that was a good security device. I've got a patent on it but no manufacturer seems interested.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:56 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:That's interesting...and a bit worrying. My youngest brother is restoring a KTM-engined Beta, so I'll ask him how difficult it's been. I might also do a bit of mystery shopping for spares!

The plan would be to replace the Pamp with the Beta or whatever else....but I'm still considering that.

I once stupidly replaced a lovely Suzuki DR350 with a motorcycle-shaped pile of scrap direct from the Husqvarna factory, so I now tend to hang on to what I've got. But the Pamp is very focussed in a certain direction, and like any bike built down to a cost and weight there are certain parts that need very regular replacement (wheel bearings especially).

I thought the 4Rides were Montesa ;) A good shout though as they would make for some fun riding of a few lanes in Cornwall that many have never made it up. It's probably a better like for like swap with the Pampera but do they suffer from the same problem of undersized everything to keep the weight off. Richard are you keeping the 525 as well so that you have something for a long day out.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Snaf MKII wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:56 pm

I thought the 4Rides were Montesa ;) A good shout though as they would make for some fun riding of a few lanes in Cornwall that many have never made it up. It's probably a better like for like swap with the Pampera but do they suffer from the same problem of undersized everything to keep the weight off. Richard are you keeping the 525 as well so that you have something for a long day out.
Montesa is Honda
Honda have owned them since 1984
Everything is Honda on it - but with cheap spares prices
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm hanging on to the 525...with my amusing health issue and other stuff I've really not ridden it much, except into town etc. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet. I haven't changed anything on it (other than the oil and air filters) since I got it off Mr Bond other than put on a few bits for the MoT. I haven't adjusted the suspension or anything, and I suspect it's set up for a much harder rider than me. But yes, the idea was it would be more of a bike for long distances.

If I don't like it, then one possibility might be to dispose of both it and the big KTM and get either a 690/701, or a Tenere 700. I'm lining up a ride on a 700 T for sometime this summer.

The trouble is with the big KTM is you can go and ride another demo bike, like the other demo bike, then get on the KTM and ride off and think...nah, this is still the one.

Return to “BIKES”