If you could have one of these, would you?

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

If you could have one of these, would you?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

PHILinFRANCE

Re: If you could have one of these, would you?

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

They could have at least put some USD forks on it ;)
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Wow, that is a long production run.

It does have its appeal definitely, the one thing that would put me off is the seat shape, once you have used a more modern enduro with a flat seat you don't really want to go back. My DR350 is the same and the forward slope forces you into one position, right in the dip.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Agree with Phil. I know there's a retro love-in going on, but this is a brand new bike FFS. There could be some acknowledgement that technology has improved since 1985! I love the proud boasts that pop up in the red highlights...

"Round Wheels!"

"Seat!"

"Rear-facing Exhaust!"
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Yeah love it, and long overdue, USD forks would be benefit, plus bigger tank options. I'd have one.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:24 am Yeah love it, and long overdue, USD forks would be benefit, plus bigger tank options. I'd have one.
If you were in the market for a fully restored original XR, I can see why similar money spent on this might appeal. You'd effectively get a shiny brand new replica. It looks great because the original looked great.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I had an old Xr650.
It was a bit tall for me, but the big issue was kick starting the thing short legs, tall bike and a kickstart are not a good mix :lol:

But this yes I would defo like a second look
EWR

Post by EWR »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:44 pm
Yes, but then I always want what I can't have....non-UK market Hondas, knees that work, Cameron Diaz...

I find myself in the peculiar position where the only two Honda motorcycles I desire (indeed, any motorcycle on sale today) are this and that fabulous little CT125 Trail Cub thingy.

I remember how lumpy and gangly my garish Dominator was, and how much better the XRV 750 was that replaced it - though neither could hold a candle to the Varadero (of course) or the dozen or so other 'amazing' bikes that came after...I then realised all I really wanted was my lovely, fully-loaded, CRF1000 DCT AT until I bought it and realised I didn't want it after all...

Rose tinted spaces must always be worn with caution but, for all its faults, my Dominator was probably all the motorbike I ever needed or need now.

As a retro-grouch who loathes unnecessary technology, whose continental adventuring days are well behind him, where green lanes must be green (or at least devoid of any of that mud stuff) and with my need for speed and 'sophistication' of any sort well and try diminished, I can honestly that this is the only bike I want.

I'd just like the chance for Honda UK to prove my wrong again...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You can buy that Mash thing that looks like a crashed XT 500 that has been repaired with the wrong forks and front wheel which has basically the same engine conforming to E5, so Honda could bring it to Europe in modified form.

I confess I rather like the idea of an engine with fins...but I don't like the RE Himalayan...it's about 80 kg too heavy and has less power than a DR350.

I suspect that it might be possible to import one in a box from the USA and put it through the SVA process...you might need new tyres and a headlamp. But it can't be too far off on emissions if it conforms to CARB and is sold in California.

Business opportunity for someone?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

leccy start is a real boon from the older model
ridden chises old hand grenade a few times and its got some low down bant ,,arguably too much ? does feel heavier than it is cos its as tall a block of flats ..gearing is awkward to get right for trails and road
would i have one ? yes i do like it but it is a handful ..shame they wont ship them here

drowns ok too ..it is a beast :D

Imageupload photo url free
Last edited by minkyhead on Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”